XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Nav Update 2011/2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK..so I've read that there are two dvds..east and west. But the player only reads one disc at a time?? So if I'm traveling say cross-country will I need to stop and swap the disc out? Just been pondering...

I too will be purchasing from the above link, but don't know if you have to buy both discs separately or if it comes in a set.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Swapping discs is necessary if the destination state is not listed on the disc currently loaded when attempting to program the system for a trip.

The following users liked this post:
LawPanther (02-22-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

If this guy is selling a copy, does that mean that it's okay to post an .ISO?

wannajag (02-21-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

This is for all the above guys....especially XKGUY.....The new (copy) disc arrived and was installed without a hitch....took 10 minutes. The background coloring seems different but the response time seems faster. I have not asked for a destination yet but it does work and we will see if there are any problems later.

Blackcoog (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

That's great. I have my XF stored at the moment and with all the snow lately I haven't wanted to dig out the path to my spare garage just to pop the nav disk in.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 PM

OK, first, as all of you know, the Nav discs from iOffer have been purchased by several members on this forum. Most if not all have been honestly buying with the idea that if the disc does not work, you just return it since there is a generous return policy, I believe. However, the inevitable has occurred in that I have been approached to make a copy of my disc. The argument being that a copy is a copy and one more won't make a difference. I just can not agree since there is a morality issue here. Yes, I know, this behavior is common place and not sure who it hurts. But, I prefer not to involve myself, sorry !! BTW, I make these statements so as no one else makes the same request. Thanks

Last edited by chuckh007; 02-22-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 AM

I agree with chuckh007 that this is not ethical to just make a copy of the Nav DVD. To sum it up how would you respond to your boss if he asked you to work a day for free? Of course this statement has more impact if you are on a hourly wage.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the answers guys, I should clarify a few things.

Knowingly purchasing a "copy", ex. giving money for copied materials, is allowing criminal copyright infringment to take place.

While I can see I won't convince you, think of the following question. Which is worse:

-Making copies of something and selling them, making money illegally?
-Making a copy of something as a favor?

As you may or may not know, the first is far worse and is the only offense punishable by law. The second offense is simply a civil matter.

This is why I would prefer that a copy was provided instead of encouraging other members to engage in criminal activity!!!

Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
That's great. I have my XF stored at the moment and with all the snow lately I haven't wanted to dig out the path to my spare garage just to pop the nav disk in.
Did they ship you both discs (East and West)?

Old 02-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

If they were charging a reasonable price for the EOM updates, I would agree that copying them is not the right thing to do. Screw you w/o lube! The update for my car is a USB thumb drive for $275. I have a Garmin Nuvi that I paid $120 including lifetime updates. If the GPS is not standard in a car it is usually a $1200 - $1500 option. Makes no sense to me!!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM

JerryS.....the one disc I received was probably for the West coast (Canada and Mexico??) since we are asked where the disc is being shipped. This is OK for me since I do not intend to drive across country.....even then the cost is great as it would be $65 vs $100 (one half of a set).

As for the gentleman that referred to us as criminals.........."This is why I would prefer that a copy was provided instead of encouraging other members to engage in criminal activity!!!" ...you probably miss spoke in that you should have said "This is why I would prefer that a copy was provided instead of our members encouraging the seller to engage in criminal activity." Are we guilty by association ? Maybe, but then so are millions who encourage the Chinese who sell us all of the cheap products we buy every day. Yes, we did pay for our discs and wasn't expecting to then give it away for free. Oh wait.....I too could become a criminal and ask for more money then I myself paid. I pointed out this to the seller on iOffer, since there is an individual on the Internet that is also selling these discs for $40 with no references !

Old 02-24-2013, 01:50 PM

Is does not matter how you rationalize this. If you read the license agreement which is binding by law making a copy for a "friend" is not permitted. There is no gray area here. I am fairly certain if you were to pose this question to Navteq they would see things differently and not think it was OK just because you are not seeking monetary compensation. If you engage in this activity simply admit it is wrong and not hide behind excuses that they charge too much for the product. Enjoy your pirated NAV DVD and not post the various reasons why it is OK to break the law.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM

Guys, I don't think you two get it. Read and learn copyright law before trying to cite it. For you to get all "holier than thou" on me because you paid money for a copy and think you're doing a good thing is ridiculous.

From a legal standpoint, whether I have a copy or not, I won't be breaking any federal copyright laws since I wouldn't give money for it.

By you thinking you are "doing the right thing" and paying for a copy, you are an accessory to criminal copyright infringement. Obviously I don't care about it enough to report you, but don't pretend you have any ground to stand on.

My point is that you shouldn't act shocked that I'm asking for you to share a copy (since I don't have one and am not willing to pay for a pirated copy) when you so foolishly and knowingly gave money for a copy!

Last edited by blaydes99; 02-25-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry S
Did they ship you both discs (East and West)?
I received one disk. I popped it in the other day. The screen displayed a message saying it needed to update the software. I clicked ok and it went back to the home screen but the nav selection was grayed out so I couldn't access it. It didn't say it was updating so I was a bit confused. I let it sit for a bit and then swapped the disk out for the old one. Nav worked fine on the old disk. Then I put the new disc back in and the maps booted up and worked fine. It appears to be working other than that odd hiccup initially. I'm in MN btw and the maps work fine here.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM

I think it is worth the update.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe that Blaydes99 is correct. If I make copies of music cds for friends and give them to them, it's not the same if I were to sell them to them. The seller of the pirated Nav discs is definitely in the wrong, so if a purchaser knowingly knows that they are pirated and purchases them anyway, than your hands can't be totally clean. However I personally don't hold it against anyone who buys the discs. Adult decisions. In the words of Nucky Thompson from Boardwalk Empire--"Sometimes you have to decide how much sin you can live with"

Last edited by ttboonie; 02-25-2013 at 03:02 PM.
blaydes99 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

For those who are taking the 'high road' on this and say that you've paid for the disk so all is good then you're also going to also absolutely till the end state that you believe that the disk you've purchased is authentic and not a copy.

You will then have to explain why Navteq and Jaguar are flooding the market with non dealer sold disks at a rate that is likely well below what dealer cost is.

To me, the only fools in this discussion are those who believe they are buying authentic discs at an amazing price. At least those who copy admit what they're doing which indicates far greater integrity that those who pretend not to know whats going on.

So, can we skip the bashing of those who copy?

Last edited by wannajag; 02-25-2013 at 11:28 PM.
blaydes99 (02-25-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moving right along, what's the story for updating maps for systems that use the hard drive for map storage? I'm sitting here with an MY12 XF, but it tells me that I'm using 2010 maps, yet where I live (in Australia), I've learned that v18 or v19 is out and about.

Yes, I could go to a dealer and order a new map set for $295 or whatever, and the required dealership fees for the laborious install (I'm not convinced that it would take more than 5 minutes to load and install, but call me a skeptic).

What I'm seeking is confirmation that it's possible for 'average joe' to do the install, if the maps are even available to the public.

Last edited by ivanov; 02-28-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:06 AM

Just ordered my update as the 2009 version which came with my car is pretty useless.

Got it for £152 using promo code JAGUAR-PROMO from here

Will let you know if it fixes some of the issues.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2000 XKR and XJ8 would the new update work on a car that old. My nav is 15 yrs out of date. Eddy

Quick Reply: Nav Update 2011/2012