XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Navigation help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation help, please.

After a test drive and sitting down with the owner's manual, I'm a little perplexed. Does the voice navigation have a way to input a street destination? It seems odd to me that the only way to enter a street address destination is via the touch screen, which locks you out when you're moving. Consequently, the nav pretty much seems to lock EVERYTHING out when you're moving, doesn't it? Thus, there doesn't appear to be a way to do much of anything while the car is in motion. I don't really understand the usefulness of a navigation system that requires you to park the car whenever you're looking for something. I recently moved to Portland, OR and a good navigation is a MUST becasue I get lost everywhere I go. I've absolutely loved just about everything about the XF and there's a good chance it'll be my next car, but the lack of navigation features is starting to kill the deal...

Tony

Old 05-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Navigation help, please.

The reason it needs to be parked when inputting an address...is because imagine driving and looking at a little screen instead of your surroundings like you're supposed to.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:44 AM

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

The reason it needs to be parked when inputting an address...is because imagine driving and looking at a little screen instead of your surroundings like you're supposed to.
I realize this. Can anyone answer my question about the voice navigation?

For example, in both my Infiniti and Acura, I can ask my car to do the following while driving:

I say, "Destination street address"

My car answers, "What city?"

I say, "Portland", and my car says, "What street?"

I say, "Broadway." My car replies, "What address?"

I say, "1234." My then asks me if I would like to navigate to 1234 Broadway, for example.

However, I could not find anywhere in the Jaguar owner's manual that this can be done. The salesman also said that this can not be done.

In other words, there is NO WAY to use the navigation unless you're parked? Are you supposed to pull over in order to set a destination? In my opinion, having a navigation system like this would be pretty worthless. I've recently driven Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, and my own Infiniti M45 and Acura TL. All of them had the ability to use voice navigation while driving. In fact, some of them even allowed virtually full use of the navigation touch controls (or knobs, etc.) while driving - including my TL. I understand the safety aspects of locking out touch or knob controls while driving, but this is where voice navigation should come into play; it's to use while driving. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this in the Jag. I find it hard to believe this is the case and I hoping I am mistaken.

Please, anyone with an XF? Help?

Tony

Old 05-30-2008, 05:16 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

You can use voice for nav if you have preset addresses. Home is one, then I think you can store 5 more.
You can use voice for nav while driving, but I am not too sure of limitations.
Go drive one and play with it. It will give you a list of voice commands. Say navigation, help.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, you can only talk to the Nav system about pre-stored locations - like "Home" ...unless there is some hidden feature not mentioned in the voice-help.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks, guys.

Do you find the navigation limitations acceptable? I'm seriously thinking about not buying an XF based on this. I use my navigation a LOT after recently moving to a large city that I am not familiar with. The idea of having to be parked, or having to pull over to the side of the road to enter a new destination address completely astounds me. I can't count the number of times I've used my voice recognition to enter addresses while I'm driving. I also regularly use the map interface to do this as well. Not being able to do these things might very well be the difference between buying an XF and not buying one.

The only option I see, because I like everything else about the car so much, is to get one anyway and hope and pray that at some point someone will come out with a nav hack so you can still use those features even when the car is in motion.

Tony

Old 05-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to me, the nav doesn't matter at all, so i wasnt even aware of these 'limitations'.. i'll probably still look up where i'm going on google-maps and print it out even with the nav.. maybe that will change after i grow to trust it more.. and, bear in mind that i dont go anywhere 'new' very often.. if i moved to a new place that might be different, but i would have still bought my SC XF.. again though, it's not my primary car either..

Old 05-30-2008, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Randy

to me, the nav doesn't matter at all, so i wasnt even aware of these 'limitations'.. i'll probably still look up where i'm going on google-maps and print it out even with the nav.. maybe that will change after i grow to trust it more.. and, bear in mind that i dont go anywhere 'new' very often.. if i moved to a new place that might be different, but i would have still bought my SC XF.. again though, it's not my primary car either..
I see you point. My Mustang does not have any sort of navigation and I use Google maps all the time and love it.

Last year, when the new 2007 Audi S6 came out, I fell in love with the car after a couple of test drives. However, I thought the navigation system was so poorly laid out (might have had something to do with the salesman's lack of knowledge too) that I just could not justify buying an $80K car that did not have a decent nav system.

I dunno. Maybe I'm being too picky. My problem is that I keep buying new cars and to a certain extent I am disappointed with them after having them for a while.

I want my next car to be "it" for for a while. I've test driven all sorts of cars in the last few weeks and the Jag was more or less love at first sight. Maybe I just need to slow down a little and think about it for a while.

For what it's worth, the nav in my Infiniti M45 and especially my Acura TL are VERY well laid out. For the most part, I can rely on them almost exclusively for getting around in new areas. One thing I liked about the Jag nav was that the graphics were so crisp and I liked the way you navigated around the various menus, although they were a little slow to respond at times. And don't even get me started on the upgraded B&W stereo. I think it's hands down the best sounding OEM stereo I've ever heard. It's one of the few that I think I'd be totally happy with without having to upgrade anything with aftermarket stuff.

I really appreciate everyone's input!

Tony

Old 05-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the best nav systems, I would have to say the Lexus (gen 5) is fantastic. The best high resolution graphics, ease of use, screen size. I find the jag touch screen hard to use and the bottom return key is ackward to reach.

as for the B&W system........It has to be the best sound ever!