XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

oil filter wrench

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil filter wrench

I typically do all my on routine maintenance so on the new car I'm looking at what is required. I see that Jaguar calls for a special wrench for the oil filter. This seems normal as OEMs often have a special tool for everything but is it necessary or will a standard band clamp wrench work? I previously owned a Volvo S60 which also called for a special wrench and it was near impossible to get the filter off with out it.

My service manual calls for a Jaguar part # C2Z3516 but the listing I find for this is for an S type. I know they are the same platform but if drop $35 for the tool (aftermarket) I'd like to make sure it will work.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Over the years I have accumulated some 15 different oil filter wrenches. Some good, some bad. Bad ones back then are good now and good ones are bad. Since most people do not change their own oil, as I do, recommendations are few. On the new v-8 I have used 2 styles successfully, but just bought a third to try. $35 is cheap, try it then give a + or - review.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:38 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Is there an oil drain plug on the XF or do you have to pump it out manually through the tube that is below the oil fill cap?

Old 12-09-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by XJL
Is there an oil drain plug on the XF or do you have to pump it out manually through the tube that is below the oil fill cap?
Yes there is a gasketed drain plug and the book says to replace the gasket. My experiance on other cars is that is seldom necessary but I would have one on hand. I've not changed the oil yet but it is reportedly a Dowty washer so you can't run out to you r local parts store and easily get one I'd imagine.

The following users liked this post:
XJL (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

I've used either a chain or a strap oil filter wrench for years on a several Jaguar models without difficulty. However, my current XK has the oil filter mounted on the same style cooler as the XF. Clearance was insufficient to use either the strap or chain wrench and I had to buy the Jaguar tool:

oil filter wrench-jaguar-oil-filter-removal.jpg

I think this pattern may have been superseded by a design that fits over the end of the filter and has a central 1/2 inch square for a ratchet drive.

Graham

Old 12-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

You don't need a oil filter wrench for the 4.2L. It's a normal oil filter. Turn it loose by hand if you can. Otherwise any oil filter strap/wrench should break it loose.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:36 PM

Thanks all. I figured it would come off pretty easily being a "normal" filter but access was a concern. My wife had an 04 Volvo S60 that had a cartridge type filter that made it more difficult but the location was the real hard part as it was in a little "hole" surrounded by the frame and oil pan. Plan was to get a filter and an over the back type wrench and go from there.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A small screwdriver through the side of the filter works wonders as well. A little messy, but if you're under there in the first place, then it should be no big deal.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by texsn95
A small screwdriver through the side of the filter works wonders as well. A little messy, but if you're under there in the first place, then it should be no big deal.
lol that's goin' old school

Old 04-11-2015, 01:16 PM

Just closing the loop on this.

Finally came time to change the oil. A properly sized band clamp filter wrench would worked fine to remove the filter but the one I had was too big and the dealer must have put it on with an impact at the last oil change. (sarcasm) I bought a WIX filter and the tool that slips over the back of that filter but the tool would not fit the jaguar filter as the "wrenching flats" did not align. Had to do the old school screwdriver through the filter trick to get it off but the tool I bought will work going forward. Very easy oil change save for the filter issues.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Smile

Glad to hear that! My XF is due for an oil and filter change in about 1k to was interested to hear. Thanks!

Larry

Old 04-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

You guys have some hilarious comments. While we are talking about the oil filter, what filter does the 2011 XF with the Normally Aspirated 5.0l motor have? Is it a spin on or is it a cartridge type?

I already bought the special oil and am not sure if I got the correct oil filter.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Sharky
You guys have some hilarious comments. While we are talking about the oil filter, what filter does the 2011 XF with the Normally Aspirated 5.0l motor have? Is it a spin on or is it a cartridge type?

I already bought the special oil and am not sure if I got the correct oil filter.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Google search revealed a cartridge tyep filter WIX 57279. What "Special Oil". Is thei some dealer specific hype? It's an IC engine that Jaguar recommends Castrol but that is , IMO, marketing as Castrol is recommended by many OEMs probably for some sort of "consideration". I use Mobile One fully synthetic in every vehicle I own and have for the last 15 years. One has 150K on the clock another 165 a third with 120 all with no oil related issues.

Old 04-14-2015, 05:50 AM
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by brian.peters
Google search revealed a cartridge tyep filter WIX 57279. What "Special Oil". Is thei some dealer specific hype? It's an IC engine that Jaguar recommends Castrol but that is , IMO, marketing as Castrol is recommended by many OEMs probably for some sort of "consideration". I use Mobile One fully synthetic in every vehicle I own and have for the last 15 years. One has 150K on the clock another 165 a third with 120 all with no oil related issues.
So I did buy the correct cartridge filter. I got it from Rock Auto. As for the oil, I ordered the specific oil that Jaguar specifies. I also run Mobil 1 on some of my vehicles and Royal Purple on my race cars. But I decided that I would run the Jaguar specific Castrol oil in the XF. I don't want to chance any engine failures due to the incorrect weigh and specific oil.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:42 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Sharky
So I did buy the correct cartridge filter. I got it from Rock Auto. As for the oil, I ordered the specific oil that Jaguar specifies. I also run Mobil 1 on some of my vehicles and Royal Purple on my race cars. But I decided that I would run the Jaguar specific Castrol oil in the XF. I don't want to chance any engine failures due to the incorrect weigh and specific oil.
Where did you order your oil from?

Old 08-31-2015, 01:06 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Sorry, I mis-spoke..I was thinking I read it was a 5.0L ...

Last edited by DPK; 08-31-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:03 AM
D.K
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Hello everyone, sorry if I'm writing in wrong post.
I thinking to perform oil change by myself on my XFS 3.0d 2010. I come across to 2 types of oil filters:1. Jaguar XF Oil Filters at www.rimmerbros.co.uk and 2. Oil Filter - JDE8751 - Genuine Jaguar at www.rimmerbros.co.uk . So I wondering can I use screw in filter (No.1) or its only for petrol?

Old 09-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by D.K
Hello everyone, sorry if I'm writing in wrong post.
I thinking to perform oil change by myself on my XFS 3.0d 2010. I come across to 2 types of oil filters:1. Jaguar XF Oil Filters at www.rimmerbros.co.uk and 2. Oil Filter - JDE8751 - Genuine Jaguar at www.rimmerbros.co.uk . So I wondering can I use screw in filter (No.1) or its only for petrol?
You want the second one, which is for the diesel, the first one is for a petrol motor.
You'll need a 32 mm socket to remove the oil filter cannister, then the old filter element pulls out and you slot the new one in.
It takes a fair tug to pull the old one out.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:56 AM
D.K
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OzXFR
You want the second one, which is for the diesel, the first one is for a petrol motor.
You'll need a 32 mm socket to remove the oil filter cannister, then the old filter element pulls out and you slot the new one in.
It takes a fair tug to pull the old one out.
Ok, thx

Old 02-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me what size wrench I would need to remove the oil filter cap on a XKR 5.0 or the best method to remove. thanks

* Edit found it http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...FILTER-WRENCH/

Last edited by SJF1978; 02-05-2016 at 08:50 AM. Reason: found answer

Quick Reply: oil filter wrench