XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

P2240 code

Old 07-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default P2240 code

I'm on vacation (far from a dealer) headed home to Michigan, and I just threw a P2240 code in the mountains of Vermont. Advance Auto wasn't much help on the severity of the problem or potential problems on this Jaguar engine (although I thought this 3.0 supercharged was basically a Ford design).
The car seems to be getting normal fuel economy although through the mountains I'm getting some knock under load, a bit surprising considering the anti knock sensors in later model cars). I did fill with some 91 octane fuel in Maine when I couldn't get 93. I always burn Shell 93 otherwise.
Am I OK driving it the last 11 hours home?
I called a friend (mechanic). He said to disconnect the battery, hit the brakes a couple times to clear the power and then reconnect (so the A/F sensor could re-learn the less dense air) and drive it home.
That's another 11 hrs!!!!!
Any experience like this out there?

Old 07-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I can't help you with the code, but the AJ126 3.0 V6 is 100% a Jaguar design and not at all a Ford design, it's just that it is built by Ford at the Bridgend engine plant in the UK and contains a lot of Ford parts.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:33 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I can't help you with the code, but the AJ126 3.0 V6 is 100% a Jaguar design and not at all a Ford design, it's just that it is built by Ford at the Bridgend engine plant in the UK and contains a lot of Ford parts.
Even this is not completely accurate. It is indeed Jaguar designed and built by Jaguar employees at a Jaguar owned plant which is adjacent to the Ford plant in Wales. It is adjacent precisely because as many Ford parts as possible are used and this keeps supply and shipping costs down.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by docman
I'm on vacation (far from a dealer) headed home to Michigan, and I just threw a P2240 code in the mountains of Vermont. Advance Auto wasn't much help on the severity of the problem or potential problems on this Jaguar engine (although I thought this 3.0 supercharged was basically a Ford design).
The car seems to be getting normal fuel economy although through the mountains I'm getting some knock under load, a bit surprising considering the anti knock sensors in later model cars). I did fill with some 91 octane fuel in Maine when I couldn't get 93. I always burn Shell 93 otherwise.
Am I OK driving it the last 11 hours home?
I called a friend (mechanic). He said to disconnect the battery, hit the brakes a couple times to clear the power and then reconnect (so the A/F sensor could re-learn the less dense air) and drive it home.
That's another 11 hrs!!!!!
Any experience like this out there?
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-jay-safford
Sounds like a bad O2 sensor.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:01 AM

I appreciate the history of the AJ126 engine, and P2240 diagnostic code does reference the 02 sensor in relation to sending a signal to the ECM map for A/F ratio and engine timing.
What are my risks driving 11 hr in it's current state???

Old 07-15-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

I appreciate the history of the AJ126 engine, and P2240 diagnostic code does reference the 02 sensor in relation to sending a signal to the ECM map for A/F ratio and engine timing.
What are my risks driving 11 hr in it's current state???
Well if it's not measuring fuel correctly, I don't think it's worth the risk to say damaging a catalytic converter or things getting worse 3.5 hours into your drive. The car is telling you what wrong. Fix it on your time because if you wait and have to fix it on the cars time, IT ALWAYS COST YOU WAY MORE!..lol

Last edited by Bigg Will; 07-15-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:06 AM

The car has only 21K miles on it and I bought as a Certified used car from a dealer so it is on warranty.

My big worry is, will I be stranded trying to drive it further. The closest Jag dealer is about 2 hr from me.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

The car has only 21K miles on it and I bought as a Certified used car from a dealer so it is on warranty.

My big worry is, will I be stranded trying to drive it further. The closest Jag dealer is about 2 hr from me.
Well you could get the dealer to help you with getting the tow or find out what your warr. covers in the event you have to tow it.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

Had the same problem and fixed it. This helped me: Replaced an O2 sensor. Took 6 30 minute trips and system reset. You can ignore it. I drove mine for 6 months until I got around to doing the repair.

P2240 Jaguar Oxygen (O2) Sensor Positive Current Control Circuit / Open (Bank 2 – Sensor 1)
Possible causes– Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Bank 2 harness is open or shorted
– Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Bank 2 circuit poor electrical connection
– Faulty Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Bank 2
– Inappropriate fuel pressure
– Faulty fuel injectors
– Intake air leaks may be faulty
– Exhaust gas leaksTech descriptionWhat about the obd code?If the IPB 2 terminal voltage is out of a specified range, the PCM detects a malfunction and stores a DTC.Symptoms– Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
– High Fuel Consumption
– Excessive Smoke from ExhaustP2240 Jaguar DescriptionThe front air/fuel ratio (A/F) sensor (bank 2, sensor 1) is installed in the exhaust manifold and detects oxygen content in the exhaust gas. The front A/F sensor transmits output voltage to the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM controls fuel injection duration by comparing the target air/fuel ratio with the front A/F sensor signal. The sensor includes the VS cell, the pump cell, the atmospheric reference cavity, the diffusion layer, and the heater, and it enables overall feedback control.Jaguar Vehicle:Jaguar S-Type,Jaguar XF,Jaguar XJ,Jaguar XK,Jaguar XK-Series,Jaguar X-Type

Old 07-17-2018, 07:19 PM

For what it's worth, the issue seemed to have gotten resolved. I filled the tank with fresh 93 octane Shell fuel the night before & when I went to start the car the following am, the check engine light was off. I still added HEET (dry gas) to the full tank & disconnected the battery so the vehicle would relearn the mountain air density level. I drove the car modestly 6 HR the first day, another 6 HR the 2nd day & it seemed to perform flawlessly, getting normal fuel economy.
Maybe I got some bad fuel earlier (water or slime), made worse by the tank being near empty???
I'd still like to take the car in to the dealership, but without the check engine light being on, I'm not sure the OBDII port will show a code.

Hopefully this helps someone finding themselves in the same scenario.
Thanks to all who responded!