XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

"S" Badge installation on the Grille

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Default "S" Badge installation on the Grille

I want to install the "S" badge on my car's front grille. I really love the way it looks and got the inspiration from the sport model available in europe. I looked up the part number and purchased it. Now the problem is, it doesn't seem like a straight forward installation.

Does anyone know how to install a badge onto the grille?

Attached Thumbnails "S" Badge installation on the Grille-xf-badge.jpg  
Old 11-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
I want to install the "S" badge on my car's front grille. I really love the way it looks and got the inspiration from the sport model available in europe. I looked up the part number and purchased it. Now the problem is, it doesn't seem like a straight forward installation.

Does anyone know how to install a badge onto the grille?
A few of us guys made our own bracket...glued the badge to an undersized piece of material (plexiglass) with a screw through the center and a toggle bolt on the other side of the grill.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

I put an R badge on my grille a few months ago using black RTV windscreen sealant.
Very easy, stuck nice and solid, hasn't moved a mm since.
Another bonus is it sits flat to the grille, no spacer or mounting plate.
Decide where you want to place the badge and fill that hole in the grille with sealant. Over fill it a little so it's sitting about 1 mm proud.
Dob a small blob of sealant on the back of the badge, right in the middle. Try to keep it away from the edge of the badge.
Press the badge onto the hole you have filled, wiggle it around until it is in the right spot and level, then hold it firmly pressed against the grille for about a minute.
Clean up any excess around the edge of the badge with mineral turps, wiping gently so as not to disturb the badge.
All done!
I previously made a backing plate from 1mm thick aluminium, mounted it to the grille with a toggle bolt, then stuck the badge to the plate.
Trouble was the toggle bolt worked loose after a few weeks and was near on impossible to tighten without removing the badge. It also looked a bit ugly close up.
The RTV sealant method is much easier and better IMHO.

The following users liked this post:
chXFS (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

I used 3M trim double sided tape on mine. Cut the tape to fit the entire emblem and pushed it on the grill. Been there over a year and is still very well adhered to the grill.

Although I don't have the cold to worry about and it lives in the garage most of the time, so it might not do as well in different situations.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I put an R badge on my grille a few months ago using black RTV windscreen sealant.
Very easy, stuck nice and solid, hasn't moved a mm since.
Another bonus is it sits flat to the grille, no spacer or mounting plate.
Decide where you want to place the badge and fill that hole in the grille with sealant. Over fill it a little so it's sitting about 1 mm proud.
Dob a small blob of sealant on the back of the badge, right in the middle. Try to keep it away from the edge of the badge.
Press the badge onto the hole you have filled, wiggle it around until it is in the right spot and level, then hold it firmly pressed against the grille for about a minute.
Clean up any excess around the edge of the badge with mineral turps, wiping gently so as not to disturb the badge.
All done!
I previously made a backing plate from 1mm thick aluminium, mounted it to the grille with a toggle bolt, then stuck the badge to the plate.
Trouble was the toggle bolt worked loose after a few weeks and was near on impossible to tighten without removing the badge. It also looked a bit ugly close up.
The RTV sealant method is much easier and better IMHO.
So fill up the entire grille hole with the sealant? Or put it on the badge and the protruding edges of the grille plastic?

Old 11-24-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I used 3M trim double sided tape on mine. Cut the tape to fit the entire emblem and pushed it on the grill. Been there over a year and is still very well adhered to the grill.

Although I don't have the cold to worry about and it lives in the garage most of the time, so it might not do as well in different situations.
I already lost a badge doing this. After a couple of washes and driving through rain slowly destroyed the adhesive.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Why not use the proper mounting?

"S" Badge installation on the Grille-zw11135d.jpg

You can order the parts from a dealer...

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Cherry_560sel (01-10-2016), Jaaaggg (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Why not use the proper mounting?

Attachment 122097

You can order the parts from a dealer...
I want to mount it properly, i have the parts listed above. The 'S' badge sticker, the base, the back cup, and the screw. But the screw is too big for the hole on the base. What are the next steps for the proper installation?

Old 11-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Without seeing the parts in my hand, I would guess that the screw is a bit oversized, so that it really jambs into the plastic base and can't work itself loose?

Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

So fill up the entire grille hole with the sealant? Or put it on the badge and the protruding edges of the grille plastic?
Yep, fill up the entire hole and actually over-fill it a little. Much easier than it seems, the sealant it quite thick and doesn't run out the back of the hole.
Then add a bit more to the back of the badge.
Another advantage to this method is you don't have to remove the bumper like you do with the OEM mounting bracket.
I might have gone the mounting bracket method but I couldn't find such a bracket for the older style R badge anywhere, only for the newer style R and S badges, which are a different shape to the older style badges. I don't think such a mounting bracket exists for the older style badges, as they were not put on the grille from the factory, only ever on the boot/truck lid.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR

I used the same method, but added a few drops of superglue and it's been fine. Just make sure you use a high quality, highest strength automotive tape.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
I used the same method, but added a few drops of superglue and it's been fine. Just make sure you use a high quality, highest strength automotive tape.
That's why I said to use the 3M trim tape. It's ridiculously tacky and stays flexible over time. Others I've used did not have the same strength or elasticity.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:05 PM

Thanks for all the info folks, I went ahead with using 3M super duty tape and loctite glue. Both should be easily available at your local hardware store.

Steps:

1. Clean the grille surface thoroughly and wipe it dry
2. Add the 3M tape to back of the plastic badge holder (Use loctite glue for extra hold)
3. Peel off the back of the 3M tape and add some loctite glue to it for extra hold
4. Attach it to the grille
5. Apply additional loctite glue where 3M tape touches the grille plastic
6. Use blow dryer to speed up the gluing process
7. After a few minutes, apply the "S" sticker onto the plastic base (Use loctite glue for extra hold)
8. Blow dry for a few minutes and let the glue dry off - Done!

I'll keep everyone posted on how it holds up through rain, dirt, car washes, etc.

Attached Thumbnails "S" Badge installation on the Grille-img_0464a.jpg   "S" Badge installation on the Grille-img_0465a.jpg   "S" Badge installation on the Grille-img_0467a.jpg   "S" Badge installation on the Grille-img_0468a.jpg   "S" Badge installation on the Grille-img_0469a.jpg  

"S" Badge installation on the Grille-img_0470a.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Jaaaggg:
Dwight Berger (04-30-2020), Fair2 (12-03-2015), WRXtranceformed (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Looks great!

Old 12-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Well Done!!

Old 05-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info folks, I went ahead with using 3M super duty tape and loctite glue. Both should be easily available at your local hardware store.

Steps:

1. Clean the grille surface thoroughly and wipe it dry
2. Add the 3M tape to back of the plastic badge holder (Use loctite glue for extra hold)
3. Peel off the back of the 3M tape and add some loctite glue to it for extra hold
4. Attach it to the grille
5. Apply additional loctite glue where 3M tape touches the grille plastic
6. Use blow dryer to speed up the gluing process
7. After a few minutes, apply the "S" sticker onto the plastic base (Use loctite glue for extra hold)
8. Blow dry for a few minutes and let the glue dry off - Done!

I'll keep everyone posted on how it holds up through rain, dirt, car washes, etc.
so it doesnt need the screw?

Old 12-21-2018, 09:35 AM

The screw that came with the badge did not work, it was too big for the hole. I traded the car in Oct/2017 and the badge stayed on for the 2 years I had it installed.