XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharged vs. XFR real-world driving differences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Supercharged vs. XFR real-world driving differences?

I only have my 2010 Premium for 10 months, but already thinking sometimes about my next car after lease is up.
Assuming Tata does not screw up the XF in the next 2-3 years ( which already looks like they will), I would lean toward the XF supercharged. I always liked driving a 'sleeper', and this car would be the ultimate sleeper.
In real world performance, it appears to be virtually identical to the XFR ( maybe 0.1 sec. slower to 60mph, etc. for example). The only really desireable I can think of, is the better driver seats in the XFR. The flat seats in the XF do not allow me to take full advantage of the performance capability of this fantastic car - even with the 'basic' 5.0L.
Any thoughts?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Jaguar is more British now under Tata than under Ford. The exclusivity of the XFR makes it worth it, as well

Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Maybe I'm biased but...

The XFR feels more responsive. Throttle response. Steering response. suspension response. It might be an nth degree of difference but I'm glad I went for the full fat XFR rather than the 2% Supercharged. The XFR feels like a real sports sedan, the Supercharged like a GT cruiser.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 AM

I completely agree with LeChef...

Old 03-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
The XFR feels more responsive. Throttle response. Steering response. suspension response. It might be an nth degree of difference but I'm glad I went for the full fat XFR rather than the 2% Supercharged. The XFR feels like a real sports sedan, the Supercharged like a GT cruiser.
Ouch, I drove both and while it was only a test drive for the XFR I would hardly say that my supercharged was not a real sports sedan in comparison. I do recognize that the XFR is an amazing car but please dont bash the XFSC, in my opinion it is the undercover version of the XFR.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:42 PM

It's all about frames of reference. I would like the XFR to have stiffer suspension, looser DSC, sharper throttle response and better brakes. I really would like a 911 with 4 proper seats and that's not the Panamera.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I've driven both the XF S/C and the XFR and the XFR is just a complete step above the XF S/C even though the numbers say it is not that much better

Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tippman7641
Honestly I've driven both the XF S/C and the XFR and the XFR is just a complete step above the XF S/C even though the numbers say it is not that much better
As it should be for 12k more. My point is for the money I love my car, and it gets pretty damn close to the top of the line bad a$$ XFR. I am not a car expert by any means and when I drove both it was difficult for me to tell the difference, therefore it was difficult to justify spending 12k more for a better suspension and 40 more horses (oh and the nasty hood and seats). While I appreciate that the R is special in every aspect: exclusivity, seats, hood, and suspension, I feel the SC is pretty bad a$$ as well, and car and driver tends to agree:

2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged - Short Take Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Old 03-18-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by yidal8
I only have my 2010 Premium for 10 months, but already thinking sometimes about my next car after lease is up.
Assuming Tata does not screw up the XF in the next 2-3 years ( which already looks like they will), I would lean toward the XF supercharged. I always liked driving a 'sleeper', and this car would be the ultimate sleeper.
In real world performance, it appears to be virtually identical to the XFR ( maybe 0.1 sec. slower to 60mph, etc. for example). The only really desireable I can think of, is the better driver seats in the XFR. The flat seats in the XF do not allow me to take full advantage of the performance capability of this fantastic car - even with the 'basic' 5.0L.
Any thoughts?
I just found out from vetteowner on another post that as a $1500 interior upgrade you can get the sport seats that come in the R without the "R" badge.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In reality, your never gonna have the space to "safely" operate these cars at there optimal level(Sport mode, dynamic mode, etc), except maybe at race track or some abandon roads. So really for daily driving purposes they are pretty much the same, except for appearance.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tippman7641
In reality, your never gonna have the space to "safely" operate these cars at there optimal level(Sport mode, dynamic mode, etc), except maybe at race track or some abandon roads. So really for daily driving purposes they are pretty much the same, except for appearance.
Agreed, and in that case the XFR looks are more aggressive.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 AM

Interesting views here. The $12K jump from XFSC to XFR is hardly justified here in Northeast USA, with all the traffic and speed limits unless you take the cat to the track. Like I said, on the roads here I can hardly take advantage of my XF 5.0L, but I can always use more power (mentally)
I personally am un-impressed with all '***** out' sport sedans, showing off to the world and looking for attention. My sleeper cars were 1991 Infiniti Q45, 2003 Infiniti M45. Both are 'the' sleeper' cars of their time. Under the radar - is the way to go in my view here in this area where everybody is driving BMW 'M', Benz AMG, Audi 'R' . This is just talking about sadans.
For me, if I feel like driving a sports car, I jump into my trusty 2000 Honda S2000 ( the sleeper of the sports cars)

Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 AM

The sports sedan is a compromise. It's not straight line speed per se but the visceral experience you get from driving a sports car that's missing. The XFR masks road feel and brake feel in the name of comfort and that sits a bit uneasily in a car that has such phenomenal straight line speed.

Jaguar could help by bringing out a hardcore version of the XFR (XFR-S?). Stiffer lower suspension, less rubber in the steering rack, ceramic brakes with a small enough diameter to fit 19" or 18" wheels, and a real sport setting on DSC that doesn't nanny you if you get the back out. And if it looks like a diesel XF then I would be happier still - the more aggressive looks are an irrelevance in my book.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by yidal8
Interesting views here. The $12K jump from XFSC to XFR is hardly justified here in Northeast USA, with all the traffic and speed limits unless you take the cat to the track. Like I said, on the roads here I can hardly take advantage of my XF 5.0L, but I can always use more power (mentally)
I personally am un-impressed with all '***** out' sport sedans, showing off to the world and looking for attention. My sleeper cars were 1991 Infiniti Q45, 2003 Infiniti M45. Both are 'the' sleeper' cars of their time. Under the radar - is the way to go in my view here in this area where everybody is driving BMW 'M', Benz AMG, Audi 'R' . This is just talking about sadans.
For me, if I feel like driving a sports car, I jump into my trusty 2000 Honda S2000 ( the sleeper of the sports cars)

Yidal, here is a pretty cool article/review of the 2010 XFSC you might like, as it talks about the beauty of the fact that the SC is pretty much one of the best "sleepers" out on the market now

Review: 2010 Jaguar XF Supercharged is the Goldilocks of Q-ships — Autoblog

Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks DRJP,
Yes, I read this great write-up before I got my XF. Mine is exactly the same color, and interior!!

Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Many automotive journalists have said unequivocally that the XFR is better on the track than the XKR. So enough with slamming the sports sedan concept.... a super sedan like the XFR is just as good (and in sometimes better) than an aggressive GT....

But for the most hardcore sports cars, the XFR can run with the best of them..

Old 03-21-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by XFactoR
Many automotive journalists have said unequivocally that the XFR is better on the track than the XKR. So enough with slamming the sports sedan concept.... a super sedan like the XFR is just as good (and in sometimes better) than an aggressive GT....

But for the most hardcore sports cars, the XFR can run with the best of them..
Kind of confused by this post, I dont think we were discussing the XK at all, and I think everyone here agrees that the XFR in on bas a$$ sports sedan.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Default Bada$$

Originally Posted by drjp
Kind of confused by this post, I dont think we were discussing the XK at all, and I think everyone here agrees that the XFR in on bas a$$ sports sedan.
Frankly let the S/C be the GT cruiser and make the XFR more bada$$ - more M-B Black Label. The XK needs to go onto a serious Weightwatchers program to compete around the corners against a 911.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 PM

My previous post was intended to dispel the notion that a sport sedan cannot be as good as a sports car/GT. That's why I used the XKR as a comparison. The XFR received a lot of notoriety for its dual nature. Tame luxury sedan that can really bite when you want it to. In fact, many favored it over an M5 because the XFR was easier to live with on a daily basis. So, yes the XFR can be more "hard core," but that would also take away from what makes it shine.

At the same time, I think for 12K more, the XFR should have a lot more power than the S/C. I'd like to see the new XFR get the XKR-S motor (probably will happen when the XK goes into the next generation). A 80 hp difference would make a big difference and be worth the extra cash.

Last edited by XFactoR; 03-22-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by XFactoR
My previous post was intended to dispel the notion that a sport sedan cannot be as good as a sports car/GT. That's why I used the XKR as a comparison. The XFR received a lot of notoriety for its dual nature. Tame luxury sedan that can really bite when you want it to. In fact, many favored it over an M5 because the XFR was easier to live with on a daily basis. So, yes the XFR can be more "hard core," but that would also take away from what makes it shine.

At the same time, I think for 12K more, the XFR should have a lot more power than the S/C. I'd like to see the new XFR get the XKR-S motor (probably will happen when the XK goes into the next generation). A 80 hp difference would make a big difference and be worth the extra cash.
Thanks for the clarification. I agree 100% the other thing they could do for the XFR is lighten it a bit (like lechef said about the XK)

Quick Reply: Supercharged vs. XFR real-world driving differences?