XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

swap 3.0 with 5.0 in 2013 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Everything.
If you don't know, why respond? It's not everything and VAP has already confirmed that it's been done. I'm waiting to hear back on what all it entailed, but they sorted out the tuning side of the V6 to V8 conversion.

Old 11-14-2023, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshMcMadMac
What is huge about it though? Beyond physically swapping the engine, what else changes beyond coding?
I am not inclined to type a huge list. You can take well-meant advice or not.

Old 11-14-2023, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I am not inclined to type a huge list. You can take well-meant advice or not.
With 26 thousand posts I would think that you could handle a few simple words on what would be needed on the swap, as opposed to being vague and aloof. Obviously this is a question that comes up occasionally, so having someone with experience answer with some degree of clarity would help anyone looking into it.

Old 11-14-2023, 05:28 PM
Received 206 Likes on 167 Posts

With 26 thousand posts I would think that you could handle a few simple words on what would be needed on the swap, as opposed to being vague and aloof. Obviously this is a question that comes up occasionally, so having someone with experience answer with some degree of clarity would help anyone looking into it.
I tend to agree, but this thread and many others (which can be found through the search function in the top right) have already answered this query so the long-time members here may be tired of answering it over and over again. My 2c - the days of just ripping an engine out, dropping a different one in, and jimmying up the loom to make it work are long gone. Modern cars operate on networks where all the devices must authenticate themselves and agree with each other before anything happens - swap one module out with one that doesn't match, and the car won't operate. Swap the engine out and you'll require a new ECU. Swap the ECU and suddenly you need three more modules to match the ECU. Swap those three modules and you need five more. After you've spent more than you would have spent selling your current car and just buying the car you want, you might end up with a working car but unless you are HIGHLY mechanically skilled, have the time to teach yourself how these systems work to a level well and truly above the average Jaguar technician, and have the space to pull a car virtually all the way apart and put it back together again, I doubt it. I do have all those things and I investigated a V8 swap in my XE, the idea lasted about ten minutes before I decided it wasn't worth it. That being said, my car might become a dedicated track car in which case I'll strip all the electricals and run the engine from a Haltech or similar dedicated ECU... that'll work but it will come with its own headaches, and of course it's not really suitable for a daily driver.

The short answer to your question is "No," the long answer is "Anything is possible with enough time and money." Whether you've got enough time and money is up to you

Last edited by dangoesfast; 11-14-2023 at 05:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dangoesfast:
JoshMcMadMac (11-15-2023), Nansan21 (11-14-2023), Panthro (11-20-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
I tend to agree, but this thread and many others (which can be found through the search function in the top right) have already answered this query so the long-time members here may be tired of answering it over and over again.
…Swap the engine out and you'll require a new ECU. Swap the ECU and suddenly you need three more modules to match the ECU. Swap those three modules and you need five more...
Thank you for that. Your google-fu must be much better than mine: despite searching around quite a bit, I have yet to find a definitive answer as to what all actually needs swapped.
The best I have found is maybe the ECU needs swapped, but no other modules have been mentioned. If there is a post or thread somewhere with details, I would greatly appreciate having it shared with me.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Thanks for mentioning VAP has done this? Can you post a link as I think we all would be interested in how big a job it is?
Surprised I have not seen this on VAP's website as I am a current customer and have talked to Stuart and Christopher several times?
Stuart if your reading this can you please wade in and give us the inside scoop?

Today I just got VAP's black Friday sale catalog and nothing about this at all??

Old 11-15-2023, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Thanks for mentioning VAP has done this? Can you post a link as I think we all would be interested in how big a job it is?
Surprised I have not seen this on VAP's website as I am a current customer and have talked to Stuart and Christopher several times?
I am discussing through email with them, I doubt it is something they are interested in making a standard offering as I am sure it would be somewhat unique to each swap.
From the most recent response I just received:

… you would need to flash the ECU with an AJ133 V8 file through SDD – to avoid a problem with the immobilizer. The XE we did has all the firmware/software for an F-Type R, including on the transmission & transfer case."

It does concern me that they state all of the firmware is of the F-Type, as I believe the XE (X760) and F-Type (X260) share the modular D7a platform. And if that's the reality, that the X351 is different enough to not play nice with the swap because there was never an AWD 5.0SC variant, at least we know!

Last edited by JoshMcMadMac; 11-15-2023 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:23 PM
Received 206 Likes on 167 Posts

I am discussing through email with them, I doubt it is something they are interested in making a standard offering as I am sure it would be somewhat unique to each swap.
From the most recent response I just received:

… you would need to flash the ECU with an AJ133 V8 file through SDD – to avoid a problem with the immobilizer. The XE we did has all the firmware/software for an F-Type R, including on the transmission & transfer case."

It does concern me that they state all of the firmware is of the F-Type, as I believe the XE (X760) and F-Type (X260) share the modular D7a platform. And if that's the reality, that the X351 is different enough to not play nice with the swap because there was never an AWD 5.0SC variant, at least we know!
I've seen a few of these threads since I joined up here, and to be honest it sounds like you've got more info than most others here 🤣 From the statement "The XE we did has all the firmware/software for an F-Type R, including on the transmission & transfer case" I gather they've not just flashed the ECU, but pretty much everything else... and flashing an XE's modules with F-Type firmware might not be something you can do just with standard SDD/Pathfinder (I have no real idea) and even if you can, you can probably expect some issues along the way... again it's up to you whether you're capable of this custom stuff, and whether you have the time and money to a) try it and b) fix whatever goes wrong in the process.

Nothing is impossible, there's just varying degrees of difficulty and "impossible" usually just means someone hasn't blazed the trail yet. If you think you're that someone, you'll probably need to learn most of it on your own rather than being given a neatly packaged shopping list and a list of steps to take - VAP might be a good source, but I doubt they'll be able to fully walk you through it.

If you do decide you're that someone, be sure to create a thread and document your progress so we can all learn!

Last edited by dangoesfast; 11-15-2023 at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nansan21 (11-16-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 07:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

What is huge about it though? Beyond physically swapping the engine, what else changes beyond coding?
I've read the engine management computer is the same for V6 and V8.

The following users liked this post:
JoshMcMadMac (11-25-2023)