XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Thinking XF as my next car

Old 07-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking XF as my next car

I am currently leasing a BMW 328i and am beginning to explore my options as I enter the final months of my lease term. BMW is actively trying to get me to commit to another lease via its pull-ahead program, but I'm not sold on getting another Bimmer. If I did, it would have to be a 335i or its soon to be released replacement, the 340i.

However, through my limited research I've come across the Jaguar XF and can honestly say I don't think there is another gently used car that can compete with the XF for the money. I've read through several posts by others in my similar situation, and have just a few questions that I'm looking for guidance on as I narrow my search down.

The cars I've been looking at are all 2011 or 2012s with the V8 (non supercharged). My local dealer has 4 or 5 of these and all have less than 30,000 miles.

-Is the dashboard made of real leather or is it vinyl?
-Some of the cars I'm seeing have contrasting piping on the leather seats. Is this a premium option?
-I understand the massive depreciation hit after only 2-3 years from new (hence my eye on these). Wondering what the future value looks like in 3-4 years down the road when and if I were to sell it?
-I only want a CPO; what are the extended warranty options (years/miles)? What should I expect to pay for CPO from a dealer?

I'm excited to learn more about these. Thanks to everyone for your assistance!

Old 07-04-2015, 01:48 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

The cars I've been looking at are all 2011 or 2012s with the V8 (non supercharged). My local dealer has 4 or 5 of these and all have less than 30,000 miles.

-Is the dashboard made of real leather or is it vinyl?
It's real leather and many have reported bubbling. Use a windshield shade and tint the side windows to avoid that issue.
-
Some of the cars I'm seeing have contrasting piping on the leather seats. Is this a premium option? The "Portfolio" has this. It's one step up from the base model. Other additions with this is Alcantara headliner, different wheels, rear view camera, and cooled front seats.

I understand the massive depreciation hit after only 2-3 years from new (hence my eye on these). Wondering what the future value looks like in 3-4 years down the road when and if I were to sell it? Too many variables to answer that question. Depends on how many miles you put on it and the area you live in. Bottom line, you will take a big hit either way.

I only want a CPO; what are the extended warranty options (years/miles)? What should I expect to pay for CPO from a dealer? CPO will cover the car 6 years or 100K miles, which ever comes first. The 6 years starts when the car was first sold, not when you make the purchase. CPO's are generally 2-3 thousand dollars more then non CPO's but worth every cent!

The following 2 users liked this post by XJL:
MonacoDK (07-04-2015), Tennis dad (02-03-2016)
Old 07-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks XJL for the insight.

One other question I meant to ask was in regards to the scheduled maintenance. Can I get an idea on the ballpark cost of a minor and major service, and at what intervals they are performed?

Old 07-04-2015, 04:33 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

With the 2011, all maintenance is covered for 5 years free. The 2012 have free service for 4 years. These cars use a special oil that is only available at the dealers right now and the manual says the oil change interval is every 15,000 miles. The service schedule is similar to most other cars. I'm not sure about the cost as I have not had to pay for any service to date on my cars.

It was a wise choice to go for a 2011 or 2012. The 5.0 V8, 385 horsepower engine is absolutely a PERFECT match for this car. The 2013 and later have the 3.0 V6 Supercharged engine so you'd have to get the costlier R version if you wanted a V8.

The following 2 users liked this post by XJL:
MonacoDK (07-04-2015), Tennis dad (02-03-2016)
Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The dashboard and door top rolls on the base model are synthetic (vinyl), and the seats are a man-made type bond grain "leather":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather

All of the above are trimmed in soft grain leather on the Portfolio model. Here's another post that should be helpful:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-watch-113328/

Good luck with your shopping.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Great choice! As others have said, the CPO warranty is great for peace of mind, and only $2-3k in purchase price. As I'm sure you know, 2012 was a new facelift model with reshaped front and rear (see headlights on the front) and I believe that's when the new navigation and audio interface came in (incremental changes for the most part).

If you're currently driving the 3-series, have you thought about the new Jag XE? It's more of a 3-series size. New so you would have to take the early depreciation hit... But closer in size to 3-series.

Either way, I'm sure you will love the Jag models - I would suggest portfolio vs. base as the trim and equipment level is notably better (in my view)

Old 07-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by newXF
The dashboard and door top rolls on the base model are synthetic (vinyl), and the seats are a man-made type bond grain "leather":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonded_leather

All of the above are trimmed in soft grain leather on the Portfolio model. Here's another post that should be helpful:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-watch-113328/

Good luck with your shopping.
Not quite right.
On the "lesser" models the seats, dash and door tops are all trimmed in "bond leather" not vinyl. The steering wheel is real "soft grain" leather and the horn pad is plastic on all XFs.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (07-07-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 05:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

As my buddy told me when I was looking -- Get the Jag!

I had a few BMW's and they are certainly nice cars but somewhat uninspiring as compared to the XF

Plus everyone has one....

I think the only area where my current BMW excels vs the Jag is in the electronics -- but they are somewhat complicated to learn how to use and get set up. And since my BMW is my work car that is a good capability. I only use the XF for pleasure, so the electronics on the Jag are fine for what I need...

Old 07-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the dashboard/door tops definitely not a synthetic material? They feel rather rubber-y to be leather. If so, my mistake!

In any case, I'd recommend you take the time to sit in a base and a Portfolio model to compare, all the more so if you are specifically interested in a leather dashboard. The differences in quality and considerations are well-covered in the other thread- definitely worth touching and seeing them in person.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 2013 AWD; just had my second year service done for around $500, first year is complimentary. I think the dash material depends on the trim, mine is a Portfolio and has the leather dash with the contrast seating and Alcantara or whatever it is that Jaguar uses for its headliners. It's not a V8 but it's a peppy engine. I do love driving it, and it's nice that it's not so common. Who wants a Camry of luxury cars?

Old 07-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The V6 SC is very powerful. The na V8 is slightly quicker but the V6 uses a lot less fuel most of the time.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by newXF
Are the dashboard/door tops definitely not a synthetic material? They feel rather rubber-y to be leather. If so, my mistake!

In any case, I'd recommend you take the time to sit in a base and a Portfolio model to compare, all the more so if you are specifically interested in a leather dashboard. The differences in quality and considerations are well-covered in the other thread- definitely worth touching and seeing them in person.
Base is a very good quality vinyl. Portfolio is leather. I think the vinyl looks better and is more durable.