XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Tires for stock rims, and chrome tires/wheels for summer

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for stock rims, and chrome tires/wheels for summer

Greetings all,

I am enjoying reading all the posts and feedback, and learning and loving my Jag even more as a result. I plan to purchase some 20" staggered chrome rims before the summer as "summer shoes". In the meantime, I want to purchase some new tires for my stock rims. I have the same tires on it since purchase last year (April), and have put maybe 5k miles on it. I do notice that they were not in the best shape, as I have seen some wear and signs of age. This is probably more of a want than a need, but I believe the ride quality would be better with a new set. Any recommendations on all season tires, and if you have some chrome wheels and summer tires that you would like, that would be appreciated as well. I am looking on websites, and they have so many, and I have a few I have my eye on, but I enjoy the postings on here, and would appreciate any feedback and/or recommendations.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 02-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Two best all-season tires that are currently available IMO: Michelin PS AS3 and Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

Best summer tires, short of track tires: Michelin PSS, Bridgestone S-04, Continental ExtremeContact DW

The following users liked this post:
Onedark1 (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Michelin PSS is probably the best all around tire, but pricey. I have found the Hankook ventus v12 evo2 to be an excellent tire at a very attractive price point. Both are performance tires. I have no affiliation with either.

Onedark1 (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information! Thanks for sharing!! I will look those tires up...

Old 02-17-2016, 03:03 PM

Correction: I believe that the Michelin PSS has been discontinued and the new tire is the PS2. I've never heard a complaint about the PS2, but as I said - somewhat pricey.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

The Hankooks are good for ride/comfort for a summer tire, but they don't handle anywhere near as good as my current Bridgestone S-04's. The Hankooks sidewalls seem soft (explains the good ride) and turn in and mid corner stability suffer. Not bad mind you, but not inspiring. They never do anything really wrong, but don't have the upper limits of performance.

The S04's are much more willing to turn and give you the ability to aggressively attack corners. When I first got them I was trying to kill every corner. Was like having a different car. Much better on back roads and on ramps now.

As far as wear, I've only had the Bridgestones on a short time, so can't comment on wear yet. The Hankooks lasted 13,000 or so miles and were completely toast in the back.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

I am with JAAAGGGG on the all season suggestion.

Conti ExtremeContact DWS06.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kwiksilver
Correction: I believe that the Michelin PSS has been discontinued and the new tire is the PS2. I've never heard a complaint about the PS2, but as I said - somewhat pricey.
PSS are still available, PS2 are the older models.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

I think you are referring to the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, which are the stickier, more trackable version of the PSS. I really would not recommend those tires for daily use and they are super expensive.

PSS are expensive but not by much compared to the S-04 and ExtremeContact DW, you are looking at a $100-200 difference for a set of 4 tires. One thing to remember is that PSS are the only Max Performance tires that come with a 30K mile warranty.

kwiksilver (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
PSS are still available, PS2 are the older models.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

I think you are referring to the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, which are the stickier, more trackable version of the PSS. I really would not recommend those tires for daily use and they are super expensive.

PSS are expensive but not by much compared to the S-04 and ExtremeContact DW, you are looking at a $100-200 difference for a set of 4 tires. One thing to remember is that PSS are the only Max Performance tires that come with a 30K mile warranty.
You are absolutely correct. Once again, I got my PS2 confused with my PSS.
The PSS actually replaced the PS2. I did not have the Cup tires in mind since they are the street/track tire.