XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Transmission Fault

Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fault

After a routine starting of the engine, I placed the transition in "Drive". Immediately, the light above the "D" started to blink and at the same time a message stating "Transmission Fault" appeared in the message center in the dash.

I repeated this several times, with all combinations of traction control on/off, sport mode ....

All had the same results - although in drive (blinking) was really in park - give it all the gas you want, the tranny was not engaged.

I called my Dealer, he immdiately sent me a loaner and a tow truck. Extremely appolgetic and very prompt. The dealer is located north of Baltimore & I was located South of the city, Despite being in the middle of the afternoon rush hour, the loaner arrived in about 90 mintes or so.

At noon the next day, the service rep called me with an explanation centering around a software issue, which he said Jag was aware of and hew just needed to reprogram the PCU.

The specifics center around the amount of pressure on the brake pedal. If "full" pressure is applied to the brake pedal during shifting to drive, there would be no problems. The issue surfaces when there is "less than full pressure" on the brake pedal. There is enough pressure to allow it to shift out of park, but not enough pedal pressure to allow the software to enable the trannie to go into gear.

This new software patch now allows "less than a full brake pedal pressure" to engage the selected gear. (relaxed parameters).

They delivered my car back to in less than 24 hrs form my initial call to them.

I have a couple of hundred miles on her since this happened with no issues.

I just wantd to let you all know about this for future reference. BTW - it is a XF-SC model.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Transmission Fault

really great to hear how prompt and professional your dealer treated you
hats off to them
how do you like the car so far?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 AM

I've have had it now for about a 7 weeks and so far and I like it at more and more every time I drive it. Obviously, I like it initially also - enough to get one.

I still can't beleive I got a Jag!

I am a "Porsche" guy, so making this purchase kind of surprises me a little. Until recently, my 2003 911 (bought new) was my "fun car" while a 2006 SRT Jeep (bought new) was my daily driver. Both of which are faster than the XF-SC. (The jeep is even faster (0-60) than my 911)

My current situation was to downsize to only one car. My goal was to gain some in the luxury portion while only sacrficing a liitle in the performance.
This goal was definitely met with the XF.

After considering several other choices, I drove by a Jag dealer, which must have put them in my mind, because when I got home I looked for some Jag info on the net and the XF caught my eye.

The rest is history - with a week or so I was driving a Vapour Grey XF-SC.

And like I said, the more I drive it, the more I like it. I just came from a drive with DSC fully disabled (held down switch for about 10 seconds...) - most fun so far. Although most of miles will be fuddy duddy highway miles, some will be at/near the limit - kinda.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol
as a jag tech its really great to hear from customers who really love their cars
especially the new XF
keep us up to date

mark in Ga

Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread. Just had almost the same bizzare problem. Normal start-up, foot on brake (maybe less than full pressure but can't be sure), put it into reverse and got "gearbox fault" with the flashing R.

Scared the living daylights out of me, put it immediately back into park, the message immediately disappeared. Went directly to neutral this time, no message, went from there into reverse still no message but no gear engagement, revs and no movement. I thought I'd try drive, the gear engaged, tried reverse this time it worked.

I'm wondering if they only relaxed the parameters for drive but not reverse. I really hope that's it, I'll certainly make a conscious effort from now on to make sure the brake is fully pressed.

My question to others and the techs here, should be worried that it may be something else? No lights remain and checked no codes either.