XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Using an OBD scanner, what to expect? The general process?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Using an OBD scanner, what to expect? The general process?

So I bought an obd scanner (not sure if its a good idea for my OCD issues ha) Actually I bought 2, the iCarsoft i930 (For JLR) and a bluetooth/wifi one to connect to apps on my iPhone...

I have some questions..

I understand these codes are to help give a general idea of issues, and are not completely accurate, but what is the process people take with these? Look for codes, clear them and then see if the come back up?

On the i930 it had many codes in each section, on the apps it really only showed the same 2 in a couple of different apps, these whee present on the i930 also, the first being P0236 and the other being U0100.

Could the P0236 be related to my inter cooler pump that's shorting?
Are these showing on every app because they are serious and the other apps dont show the other stuff? Or is it the i930 looks in more places for the specific jaguar? I was confused as to why the apps dont show all the other fault codes?

Some other codes I seen (on the i930) where P0101/P0700 and then a code for the rain sensor module communication, which would explain my rain sensor not working I guess ( Does clearing codes ever fix these things, or we just clear to see if they come back?)

Also seen codes relating to front headlight height sensors? Are the lights on the XFR supposed to auto adjust when switched on? Dont think mine do and they are xenon as far as im aware.

Regarding the code U0100, it states online this is a quite serious code, but I have none of the symptoms associated with it.

Is it normal to have a plethora of codes if it has been checked for awhile? Are many likely to be false positives?

Lastly anyone with experience with the performance monitoring in the apps? I tried testing horsepower on the freeway with the Dashcommand app and that hit 600 at one point so I know thats innacurate, is there any reccomened apps, or methods for testing a close to accurate HP other than Dyno?

Sorry for all the questions, i knew looking at all these codes would rack my brain :P

Insight into the whole process and questions answered much appreciated thanks !

Old 02-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

my understanding is that the P codes are generic and then you need to see how it translates to company specific.

XFR does NOT have auto adjust headlights.

Clearing codes does not fix anything, i believe the codes come back if infact there are still issues.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:17 PM

Thanks for answering. So I'm assuming the p codes are the ones that show up on the apps and the other codes will only show on the i930..

any insight to my other questions from you knowledgeable lot.. cars going in for intercooler pump. Thinking of having the MAF , throttle body and intake valves cleaned also.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

P0 & P2 codes are generic. P1 are not.

In all cases, if you can get the maker's actual codes info (as we mostly have for jags) then USE IT. It typically lists all the known causes and in many cases the workshop manual goes into detail as to how to test each.

Generally, you are advised NOT to clear codes unless you have fixed the cause since you will also clear all the OBD monitors. If the fault is unfixed the monitors may fail to set (blocked by the fault) and it may be that fault reporting is thus inhibited i.e. Catch-22. Further diagnosis is tough.

Faults normally self-clear (after 3 warm ups) if the fault is fixed.

People often clear faults in a rather careless manner and mostly are not bitten by the above but we've had a few people who have been and the outcome is not funny.

The following users liked this post:
webshark (02-22-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Drag race time is the next most accurate way of gauging a cars power. Plenty of race time to power calculators on line too. And Irwindale is running 1/8 mile races every Thursday night. I'll be going sometime soon, got an E63, 2016 5.0 GT and a 392 Hemi all talking mess at work..lol I'll let you know when we're going.

webshark (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Drag race time is the next most accurate way of gauging a cars power. Plenty of race time to power calculators on line too. And Irwindale is running 1/8 mile races every Thursday night. I'll be going sometime soon, got an E63, 2016 5.0 GT and a 392 Hemi all talking mess at work..lol I'll let you know when we're going.
Fun! I wanna go and see where my power is at haha keep me posted on that.. Had throttle body cleaned, added K+N filters, MAF sensors and new intercooler pump installed.. havent had a chance to test it properly but im not convinced its any different yet.. Still has kick, but not like before..

Id like to meet up with u, let you drive and see what you think if you around anytime soon.. I noticed the power loss before hand, but could the muffler delete be contributing to the power loss? Also is the backfires bad for the car?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

muffler delete could contribute to backfiring, but not so much the power loss. the car isnt turbo, so its not relying on the exhaust back pressure

webshark (02-25-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
muffler delete could contribute to backfiring, but not so much the power loss. the car isnt turbo, so its not relying on the exhaust back pressure
Is the back firing bad for the car?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by webshark
Fun! I wanna go and see where my power is at haha keep me posted on that.. Had throttle body cleaned, added K+N filters, MAF sensors and new intercooler pump installed.. havent had a chance to test it properly but im not convinced its any different yet.. Still has kick, but not like before..

Id like to meet up with u, let you drive and see what you think if you around anytime soon.. I noticed the power loss before hand, but could the muffler delete be contributing to the power loss? Also is the backfires bad for the car?
I've been putting in quite a bit of OT as of late, plus all the bad weather has kept me out of LA for a minute. Well have to work something out.

webshark (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by webshark
Is the back firing bad for the car?
Yes.

webshark (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

but the backfiring from no muffler is different than the pops coming from the exhaust on downshift......right?

Old 02-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

but the backfiring from no muffler is different than the pops coming from the exhaust on downshift......right?
Yes.
When you and webshark talk about muffler delete, it would help if we knew exactly which muffler(s) you are talking about.
There are four mufflers in the stock XFR exhaust system, two in the central system (a muffler followed by a resonator), and one at each rear corner, see this pic:

On my XFR I had the central muffler replaced by an H-pipe and the rear mufflers replaced by low restriction "straight through" mufflers.
Even in stock form it made a few pops and crackles on the overrun or on a downshift, but fairly mild. With the modified exhaust system these pops and crackles became a lot more frequent and a lot louder, not dissimilar to an F-Type R.
But overall this system was too loud for my liking, it sounded horrible from the back seat, although it sounded fantastic at WOT, so I went back to stock (except for the H-pipe) after a few weeks.
The XFR engine needs some back pressure to operate at full potential, if you remove too many mufflers and replace them with straight pipe the power and performance will drop off.
Also, the catalytic converters act like mini mufflers, there are four of them on the XFR two pairs on each side, so de-catting also reduces the back pressure.

webshark (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

do you have any videos of what yours sounded like? i am on the quest for figuring out the best combination of piping/exhaust to get a louder, growlier car

Old 02-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

do you have any videos of what yours sounded like? i am on the quest for figuring out the best combination of piping/exhaust to get a louder, growlier car
Sorry, no vids.
I can only repeat that it sounded fantastic when you put your foot down, but at pretty much all other times it sounded crap, well at least to me. Especially when going up a hill at say 1/3 throttle, the drone was pretty bad.
Plenty of good reports about the Mina system, I would go with that plus replace the central muffler (the first one) with an H or X pipe, but leave the central resonator alone.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Yes.
Can you explain how so, there is so many conflicting reports about this, so basically the hp gain and better gas milage advertised with muffler deletes is bollocks/nonsense? Is it doing much damage?

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yes.
When you and webshark talk about muffler delete, it would help if we knew exactly which muffler(s) you are talking about.
There are four mufflers in the stock XFR exhaust system, two in the central system (a muffler followed by a resonator), and one at each rear corner, see this pic:

On my XFR I had the central muffler replaced by an H-pipe and the rear mufflers replaced by low restriction "straight through" mufflers.
Even in stock form it made a few pops and crackles on the overrun or on a downshift, but fairly mild. With the modified exhaust system these pops and crackles became a lot more frequent and a lot louder, not dissimilar to an F-Type R.
But overall this system was too loud for my liking, it sounded horrible from the back seat, although it sounded fantastic at WOT, so I went back to stock (except for the H-pipe) after a few weeks.
The XFR engine needs some back pressure to operate at full potential, if you remove too many mufflers and replace them with straight pipe the power and performance will drop off.
Also, the catalytic converters act like mini mufflers, there are four of them on the XFR two pairs on each side, so de-catting also reduces the back pressure.
The 2 large muffles in the rear (number 9 on diagram) If its effecting performance and hurting the car i will definitely put mine back on. Did you find the h pipe in the center gave you a better sound? Stock is too quiet. Mina is nice but pricey...

I seen this video before i had mine donehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma63x1A26Xs , i have to admit while it very loud and aggressive now, I really enjoy the sound it sounds like the numerous lambos and Ferrari's going up and down the strip daily... But if its at the expensive of performance and the car itself ill revert back.. Like to hear more thoughts ...

Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

The main reason I had the H-pipe put in was so the XKR-S tune I was trying to install without success would stick/work, and that proved to be the case. It's a long story, I have a thread about it around here somewhere, bottom line is that the XKR-S and XFR-S tunes (identical tunes) need an H or X pipe to work (and I suspect it's the same with the F-Type R tune, which is the exact same 550 PS tune).
The H-pipe resulted in a small increase in exhaust loudness and a slightly different (I reckon richer) tone, but not a helluva lot different from stock.
If I wasn't selling the XFR but I still I wanted a bit more exhaust noise I would get the valves in the rear mufflers removed, I few have done it, search the forums and you should find some info on it.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Misfire = fuel/air which will destroy the cat(s).

May also upset gearbox.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 386 Posts

On the codes question from the OP, the i930 let's you download all the codes. So I'd personally download the all so you have them all saved. Then clear them all. And see what comes back. You pick up spurious codes so it's hard to know what's real amongst all the noise

On the exhaust question I have had the mina for 3-4 years now and love it. Much more growl and V8 noise, but not obnoxious and not drone