XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Various spurious faults. One cause?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Various spurious faults. One cause?

Hey all.
I have an 08 XF 2.7TD that's been throwing up errors for a couple of days.
It started by throwing up red and yellow reduced performance warnings (along with the associated DSC Deactivated warning) on my way to work with no explanation why. When I left work it happened again but I had to stop for diesel and when I left the garage those warnings didn't come back but I had an airbag warning along with strangely heavy steering.
All those faults have now gone but it is telling me that my key fob battery is low (it was changed 6 months ago).
Because of the random nature of all these faults I'm thinking it may be a battery or battery sensor problem.
Would that be plausible?
It's never been a particularly boisterous starter and the radio always tells me to start the engine if I try to listen while parked.
So, before I go and spend 150 quid needlessly I thought I'd get the opinions of the people who know.
Opinions welcome.
Cheers all.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 289 Posts

Almost certainly the battery. How old is it?

Old 11-13-2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Not sure. I've only had the car 2 years.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:16 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs

+1

A failing or weak battery will cause all kinds of problems in these cars, even though it will start the car without a problem.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Guess that will be my next purchase then.
Thanks guys

Old 12-21-2019, 11:44 PM

Ok, so I did replace the battery and things are certainly better. It starts far more eagerly now and most faults have gone.
However, it's not all sweetness and light. The battery is still reported as low charge when I keep the ignition on for any length of time and I have issues with the infotainment system.
The touchscreen started rebooting every couple of days while I was driving but the frequency increased until now it won't stay on at all. It just flashes white every couple of seconds before turning off again and it's very distracting.
I've found other threads on the subject and they seem to point to the Bluetooth module under the drivers seat (passenger seat in the UK I'm guessing?).
I'm going to change the battery monitor first as it looks easy to do but if it does turn out to be the Bluetooth thing would there be issues with me just removing it? I've never used Bluetooth and never will so, in my mind, I can just get shut of the thing.

I'm hoping the fact that the carpet under the seat doesn't feel wet means that it's not that module though.
Cheers all.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeeta
The battery is still reported as low charge when I keep the ignition on for any length of time
In my experience, this is pretty normal, even with a good battery. These cars are power-sucking beasts with the ignition on if you don't have the engine running (e.g. radio/climate are on, lots of computers running, and probably in your diesel's case - heater plugs etc). It's why Jaguar require an external power supply for software programming etc. I'd imagine your battery monitor is fine so I wouldn't bother changing it - just avoid leaving your ignition on without the engine running. You can turn the radio on with the ignition off.

Originally Posted by Skeeta
I've found other threads on the subject and they seem to point to the Bluetooth module under the drivers seat (passenger seat in the UK I'm guessing?).
I'm going to change the battery monitor first as it looks easy to do but if it does turn out to be the Bluetooth thing would there be issues with me just removing it? I've never used Bluetooth and never will so, in my mind, I can just get shut of the thing.
Get yourself a "MOST Bypass Loop" off ebay or amazon, it should only cost a few quid. If you can find the bluetooth module you can unplug it but you need to use the bypass loop to reconnect the MOST Optical network for everything (screen, radio, etc) to work again. If everything runs OK with the bluetooth module replaced by the bypass loop, you know that's the issue.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:19 PM

Sorry guys, for some reason I didn't get a notification that I'd had a reply to this.
I've done a search for MOST bypass loops and ordered one from eBay. I could only find a female one for my car so I assume it's all that's required?