XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 11:17 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Water Meth Injection

Hey Gents,

I have been staring at my water meth kit from Aquamist, which is been gathering dust, because of my engine failure (timing tensioners) about a year ago. The XFR has been running well and now have been thinking about throwing the meth injection system on to keep the intake air temp cool. Curious, I have done a fairly exhaustive search on the forums but no one has detailed an install (ie; location of nozzles, which wire to tap into for boost pressure, size of water/meth tank). Can anyone put me in the right direction for more details if you have found them?

Old 03-06-2021, 11:35 AM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I looked into it also. I read something a while back on someone talking about injecting after the throttle body but I don’t want to do that because it’ll ruin the coating on the rotors. I’ve seen other superchargers get ports drilled and I may do that sometime in the future.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m actually running Water/Meth injection in my 2013 XF 5.0 S/C. Keeps the IATs nice and cool. It also provides nice gains at the track. They’re actually really good for GDI engines, helps remove and prevent carbon buildup on the valves. I tapped the nozzles into the top of the manifold cover. I tapped a 1/8 nipple into the back of the cover for my boost readings. I’ve removed the rear speaker and spare tire to mount my tank and pump. 12v activator button has been installed on overhead console. Controller is located in the glovebox.

The following 2 users liked this post by Swilmer52:
Reaxions (10-10-2022), User 42324 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Glad someone's started a thread on this as I'm looking at this myself.

I've also seen it done in the intake pipes (pre-throttle body) but I share the concern about running the water/meth through the supercharger and damaging rotor coating.

Sadly, the space (or lack thereof) around the intake manifolds in the V of the engine means it's challenging to have the water/meth injected in the ideal location, which is after the intercooler radiators but before the IAT sensor, which sits right below them in the LH intake manifold - my biggest concern about tapping the top of the manifold is that this will result in the water/meth being injected beforethe chargecooler radiators inside the lid, which as I understand it is generally discouraged because of the chances of pooling in the intercoolers, which sit right above the intake ports. @Swilmer52 have you seen any evidence of this on your setup?

Old 03-06-2021, 06:39 PM

@davetibbs So far no issues, I’ve only had one issue which was self induced. When checking for no leaks, I held the “Test” button on the controller with the engine off. Caused a long crank, other than that everything works fine. Went from a 3.60 0-60 to a 3.36 I’m guessing it’s the cooling benefits due to these engines having issues with heat soak after a couple of runs.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Swilmer52
@davetibbs So far no issues, I’ve only had one issue which was self induced. When checking for no leaks, I held the “Test” button on the controller with the engine off. Caused a long crank, other than that everything works fine. Went from a 3.60 0-60 to a 3.36 I’m guessing it’s the cooling benefits due to these engines having issues with heat soak after a couple of runs.
Thank you for posting your experience Swilmer52. Curious, did you have any difficulty tapping into the Jaguar CANBUS? I had heard that if any variance in the voltage the Jag doesn't respond very well. What are your mods...3.36 0-60 is very impressive. Also, what ratio are you running for the water/meth?

Old 03-07-2021, 01:27 PM

@bmcinsd No issues with the wiring, the controller wires directly to the battery. I found a 12v source directly from the battery on the sunroof connector, for the On/Off switch. The solenoid (optional) requires an ignition switched source, I found a relay that provides just that. The cigarette lighter fuse can also be used. I use “Boost Juice” it’s a 50/50 mix. I’m on an Upper VAP pulley, VAP Tune, Ported TB, Upgraded IC PUMP, Mina Intake, on 91 pump gas. I just installed the VAP crank pulley this Friday, I’ll be receiving my updated tune tomorrow. I’m planning on porting the manifold and supercharger sometime next month. The best upgrade I can recommend to anyone looking to get good number out of our cars, is a nice set of tires. I’m running R888Rs.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:31 PM

I’m also looking into swapping out the differential from a 6 speed. I have an 8 speed, my gearing is at 2.56. The 6 speed gearing is 3.31, both electronically actuated. Reliability is questionable for the 3.31, but will provide great low end power.

Old 03-07-2021, 02:21 PM

@bmcinsd No issues with the wiring, the controller wires directly to the battery. I found a 12v source directly from the battery on the sunroof connector, for the On/Off switch. The solenoid (optional) requires an ignition switched source, I found a relay that provides just that. The cigarette lighter fuse can also be used. I use “Boost Juice” it’s a 50/50 mix. I’m on an Upper VAP pulley, VAP Tune, Ported TB, Upgraded IC PUMP, Mina Intake, on 91 pump gas. I just installed the VAP crank pulley this Friday, I’ll be receiving my updated tune tomorrow. I’m planning on porting the manifold and supercharger sometime next month. The best upgrade I can recommend to anyone looking to get good number out of our cars, is a nice set of tires. I’m running R888Rs.
what kind of power do you think you’ll see with all the modifications? How much can these transmission and diffs handle?

Old 03-07-2021, 03:08 PM

@Oxidizer2k My goal is 600whp, I’m planning on taking her to the dyno soon. The 8hp70 transmissions are actually rated at around 520lb ft. of torque. A plus is that their are plenty of aftermarket parts available for these transmissions. These transmissions are used in many performance vehicles such as the Jeep SRT & Dodge Charger & Challenger 392. I have a couple of buddies with Jeep SRTs running prochargers at about 660whp on the same 8HP70. If the transmission decides to go out, I’ll upgrade to the SRT Hellcat 8HP90.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:17 PM

Thank you for the details. My initial thoughts were to use the water/meth in place of an aftermarket intercooler for a future VAP lower pulley. I had custom downpipes with hi-flow cats installed and the Jag responded very well to that mod (mid-range - higher rpm) except that living in Cali is a challenge with having to have it smogged. - FYI, sent you a PM.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:46 PM

@Oxidizer2k My goal is 600whp, I’m planning on taking her to the dyno soon. The 8hp70 transmissions are actually rated at around 520lb ft. of torque. A plus is that their are plenty of aftermarket parts available for these transmissions. These transmissions are used in many performance vehicles such as the Jeep SRT & Dodge Charger & Challenger 392. I have a couple of buddies with Jeep SRTs running prochargers at about 660whp on the same 8HP70. If the transmission decides to go out, I’ll upgrade to the SRT Hellcat 8HP90.
have you looked into tuning on e85?

Old 03-07-2021, 10:03 PM

@Oxidizer2k I contacted Velocity AP about running E85, they don’t have any E85 tunes for the AJ133 platform yet. I was told a while back that they had an F Type at the shop and were experimenting E85 but I never heard back.
I did find a local tuner in San Diego that is willing to remap (Street tune, Non Dyno) for E85 but it’s around the same price for a Velocity AP tune. I’ll rather just wait on Velocity AP for an Update.
If I find a local tuner for a better price, I’ll try them out and see how it goes. So far I haven’t seen anyone with the AJ133 on E85 yet.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:06 AM

@Oxidizer2k I contacted Velocity AP about running E85, they don’t have any E85 tunes for the AJ133 platform yet. I was told a while back that they had an F Type at the shop and were experimenting E85 but I never heard back.
I did find a local tuner in San Diego that is willing to remap (Street tune, Non Dyno) for E85 but it’s around the same price for a Velocity AP tune. I’ll rather just wait on Velocity AP for an Update.
If I find a local tuner for a better price, I’ll try them out and see how it goes. So far I haven’t seen anyone with the AJ133 on E85 yet.
awesome. Keep us in the loop. I’d love to be able to run e85, especially any ration, like they can do with the gm cars. They’re getting some great numbers with e85 and I have a ton of gas stations near me where I can get it.