XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
i would have hoped that they would have removed the undertray when doing this water pump work. To fully drain the engine block of coolant, you have to remove the undertray to undo a bolt in the engine block that get more coolant out. If they were already doing the water pump, it would been a good time to drain and refilling the system with new coolant since it doesn't last forever.
say what? We suck the coolant out with a coolant vacuum machine. And then i also use this to suck the coolant out in the valley so it doesnt smell like coolant for days. Warranty nor anyone else requires you drain all the coolant from a engine. And as listed in jaguar repair time guide it only includes a partial drain and fill. Then i go one step further and hose off the engine to clean coolant staining and just make it look nice and clean for next time and so customers dont have residual coolant on the under tray absorbant that cant drip off for days making them think theres still a coolant leak. You dont even rack the car for that repair.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
say what? We suck the coolant out with a coolant vacuum machine. And then i also use this to suck the coolant out in the valley so it doesnt smell like coolant for days. Warranty nor anyone else requires you drain all the coolant from a engine. And as listed in jaguar repair time guide it only includes a partial drain and fill. Then i go one step further and hose off the engine to clean coolant staining and just make it look nice and clean for next time and so customers dont have residual coolant on the under tray absorbant that cant drip off for days making them think theres still a coolant leak. You dont even rack the car for that repair.
Say what?? Who said warranty required you to drain all the coolant for a water pump repair?? I didn't. I said it's a good time to change out all the coolant, even if it's an extra charge for it. His car is getting close to that 5 year mark.

Why did I say take the plug out of the block?? Because that's what Jaguar's shop manual says to do when doing a coolant change correctly. You should read the manual every now and then.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Say what?? Who said warranty required you to drain all the coolant for a water pump repair?? I didn't. I said it's a good time to change out all the coolant, even if it's an extra charge for it. His car is getting close to that 5 year mark.

Why did I say take the plug out of the block?? Because that's what Jaguar's shop manual says to do when doing a coolant change correctly. You should read the manual every now and then.
The manual is a GUIDE, not a bible. It is often wrong many times as I send in 1 star reviews all the time. And because of this we realize that really no one in Land Rover or Jaguar actually does the repair or they would know the procedures and times are incorrect. And as I stated most shop use a machine to suck the coolant out. The bolt method is to minimize coolant loss and then reuse. When you vacuum the system out you minimize coolant loss and can also pump it back in. All though most of us refill with new coolant mix. I come here to share faster or better ways to do repairs that I have learned in the past 22 years not be told I should read a workshop manual that many times is incorrect if not impossible to do the way described. Here are 3 quick examples. replacing a DTML pump on open differential pays .2 and is easy to access. On the elocked diffs it is blocked by the actuator and there is no procedure to tell you that youll have to drop the subframe and diff down to access the pump. and yeah still pays .2
another is removing the forward lower curved control arm on the 5.0 with the trans cooler bolted to the lf frame rail. workshop manual shows procedure and time for the right. Then says left similar. NO IT"S NOT. if they had done the job they would know you cannot get the control arm bolt out of the frame on the left without removing the trans cooler and mount first. How about the manual's procedure for a ac compressor on a Ftype. Shows remove 3 bolts to engine, elect connector, slacken belt, and remove 2 pipes. No duh, anyone can see that. We need to know is you remove everything out the top, lower subframe, etc... another example of the many **** poor procedures I give them 1 star reviews of. Jaguar has really only started doing even halfway decent manuals in the past handful of years. In the past 22 years I have worked on them its been look at it and figure it out.
So next time you want to make a crass remark like I should read the workshop manual maybe you should actually know my job a little better other than thinking you do because you read a procedure in a manual. I would not profess to know or call you out in your profession because I googled or you tubed something about your job and thought I knew better. So please don't do it for mine. That's as nice as I could put it after reading and sleeping on it

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
grif_drew (02-15-2019), rosskuhns (02-16-2019), XJ8JR (07-22-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So they fixed the cover hanging down loose issue. Said a bolt was missing and a bracket too and had nothing to do with their water pump or thermostat fixes. Now I'm in a pickle. My indy guy has been doing my oil changes and inspections and nothing else. The dealer has done a faulty oxygen sensor, now the water pump, hose(s) and thermostat and nothing else. Who removed a bracket and didn't put it back? Do I dump my indy and look for a new one? I have not hit anything and am the only driver of this car. Which procedure would have messed with this cover and which shop?

Old 02-07-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by EricinNH
So they fixed the cover hanging down loose issue. Said a bolt was missing and a bracket too and had nothing to do with their water pump or thermostat fixes. Now I'm in a pickle. My indy guy has been doing my oil changes and inspections and nothing else. The dealer has done a faulty oxygen sensor, now the water pump, hose(s) and thermostat and nothing else. Who removed a bracket and didn't put it back? Do I dump my indy and look for a new one? I have not hit anything and am the only driver of this car. Which procedure would have messed with this cover and which shop?
if the dealer did the rear #3 02 sensors they didn't removed the under tray, #2 or #1 yes. If your indie doesn't use a oil extractor then they have to drain the oil from the bottom and remove the tray.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:11 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Related question about independent shops...
If a shop actively advertises that it services Land/Range Rovers should I assume that they could reasonably be expected to know how to work on a late model Jaguar?
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 02-08-2019, 02:13 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
Related question about independent shops...
If a shop actively advertises that it services Land/Range Rovers should I assume that they could reasonably be expected to know how to work on a late model Jaguar?
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine
Actually, you can't even be sure they are any good with Land Rovers. So maybe, maybe not.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Ask them how many they see a month.