XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Wax on, wax off...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wax on, wax off...

Hey all,

I've got a 2010 XF in an 'individual' metallic green n am interested in what type of car cleaning products others on this forum use.

During the negotiations on my car, the salesman tried to sell me Supergard treatment for £395. It sounded a little like snake oil to me so we decided against it. I've since found a Supergard kit on eBay for £15..?! What does everyone think, is it worth a punt at that price..?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell Smith
Hey all,

I've got a 2010 XF in an 'individual' metallic green n am interested in what type of car cleaning products others on this forum use.

During the negotiations on my car, the salesman tried to sell me Supergard treatment for £395. It sounded a little like snake oil to me so we decided against it. I've since found a Supergard kit on eBay for £15..?! What does everyone think, is it worth a punt at that price..?
I am not familiar with Supergard kit, but looked it up. Seems like some inexpensive products. I am believer in you get what you pay for.

I use the following:
Foam gun with hand wash of car using micro fiber mitt. Rinse dirt at every wipe of mitt.

Claybar car then Klass all in one applied with random orbitor. Then Klass sealant glaze. After appropriafe cure ,top with PS 21 caruba wax. Get sunglasses on and have a beer.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Check out the method at Car Care Products, Detailing Supplies, Auto Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789. They're a pretty good starting point from a method standpoint.

I've never tried the longer term coatings but I'm at a bit of a loss to see why they wouldn't be used OEM if they were all they're cut out to be.

I bought a dog's breakfast with the Griott's stuff, I bought the polisher which is excellent, the polishing compounds are quite weak, seemed like they had very little cutting power although I am new to this. That is part of the Griott's appeal is that its a bit idiot proof. I would concur. The results on my Xterra test hood were very good but took way too long.

I also bought the Klasse product, it seems there have a been a lot of advances since this came out. It all seemed good, but I was quite disappointed with how long it lasted on the hood. That said, the Xterra has to sit outside in what I'm told is a continual dump of aphid wiz and a bit of tree sapp. So...it may not be a fair assessment.

This guy has a great series on car detailing and you can learn a fair bit there if you're new to it!

AMMO NYC | DRIVE + PROTECT

Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I referenced a number of sites on detailing; there is one retailer who started " the Perfect Shine", but the name is used by several. I obtained most of my process from there. The klass product is supposed to cure for a minimum of 4 hours if I recall correctly, but the preference is for overnight ( in a garage). I have not done that long. You would typically do the full process twice a year. The Carnuba wax lasts about a month in the NY climate, so I reapply about once a month or so. If I need a quick spruce up I use Griot's quick detailing spray. McGuires makes a decent one also. I only do that if the Carunba wax is worn off and I don't want to spend the time to relax. It's a lot of work, I agree but the results make (and others) love your car. It's therapeutic! There are so many products out there, it's a challenge to chose something, particularly if they are expensive.

Last edited by jaguny; 09-10-2013 at 08:58 PM.