XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF- Boot/trunk not opening

Old 05-27-2019, 03:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF- Boot/trunk not opening

I have an issue with my boot/trunk not opening on my UK 2009 XF 3.0 Sport. Can anyone help?

I got to work last week and opened my boot to get my laptop out. I accidentally touched the boot opening button whilst the boot was open and it made a clicking sound (the actuator). Thinking nothing of it I closed my boot.

However my boot will no longer open. When I use the manual boot button the actuator clicks away, as it does when I try the key fob too. I have also tried the key blade to open the boot too, but this doesn’t work either. The key blade hardly moves and I’ve tried spraying penetrating oil in case it is seized up. So, far it hasn’t worked.

Ive also tried taking the number plate off. There are a couple of small holes which I’ve tried a wire hangar to see if I can catch the latch but it’s a bit difficult not knowing what I’m aiming for. The jokes are small so can’t really see.

Can anyone help? I don’t want to drill in to the boot or damage anything until I know that is the last resort. The key blade, dash switch, and fob release aren’t getting me into my boot yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Car- 2009 XF 3.0D Sport UK

Old 05-31-2019, 10:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Similar thing happend to me except wow i guess luckily for me my boot just would not close. It is still bad because I had to slowly drive to the dealership with a boot in the back bumping on all my road imperfections. Very embarrasing but dealership took me in on the next morning - I had to pay around $500 or so to get the lock mechanisim replaced because it seized.

Isnt there an emergency escape latch in the trunk? I cant remember because I know theres latches to release the seats so you can fold them down. You may be able to try accessing that through the Ski hatch compartment. hmmm.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:30 AM

Did you find a way of opening as i have got same issue can not open. I have got back seats folded down so can crawl in boot but cant find a release.

please message me if you have got a solution.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by MClarky
Did you find a way of opening as i have got same issue can not open. I have got back seats folded down so can crawl in boot but cant find a release.

Use the metal key inside the key fob. Insert into slot outside under edge of boot (it has a plastic cover I think) and twist. That will manually unlock/open the boot

Old 10-24-2019, 07:43 AM

Does not work using the key on the outside

Old 10-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

At least on North American models, the emergency release is on the inside of the trunk (boot) lid at the extreme rear inside of the left half of the license plate. It may not take care of the problem however, it might just click the actuator again. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:05 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Does not work using the key on the outside
One time when my battery died and I tried to use the key to the trunk also I thought it was not working. I turned and it would not open.

the key location and size of the key were the cause. Basically I had to turn the key realllyy hard but due to the Size of the key and my grip I could not apply the right amount of torque to make it “click” open. Since my key is connected to a circular keychain ring at the end, I gripped on that and applied the torque and it was much easy to turn and open the trunk.

The key in the lock will turn and then it will hit an area where u need to overcome - that’s the area where it will release the trunk boot so that’s where the extra turning force is required so it’s not uniform throughout the motion.

Give it it another try hope i explained. For me I ended up getting a battery charger and connecting it to the front terminal fuse box under right hand side compartment (do not start car when connected as will blow the fuses + other electrical damage) then I open the trunk with the button but did not have an actuator problem like urs.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:55 PM
Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts

deleted

Old 07-24-2023, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

I have just 'escaped' from the X350 section and it helps when using the key to push down on the boot lid