XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF s/c, XFR brakes - what are your experiences?

Old 06-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default XF s/c, XFR brakes - what are your experiences?

i have 2010 xf supercharged and i believe the brakes are the same as the XFR of the same model year. Do any of you xf s/c or XFR owners have experience with when to change the rotors? my rear pads are getting low (dash light not on yet) and on inspection the very outer edge of the rotors have a slight ridge, which i believe indicates some wear.
if changing pads and / or rotors, stock vs. aftermarket experiences?

the pads on it are assumed to be stock replacements. VERY DUSTY

would like to definitely do different pads

thinking of doing rotors too if needed...

stop tech has "kits" of cross drilled and slotted rotors and matching pads for about $400 each for rear or front give of take. anyone use these yet?

my brakes, along with everyone else's it sounds like, are quite grabby at low speeds. was wanting this replacement / upgrade to solve that issue along with the excessive dust..

many thanks in advance for the perspectives and insight!! you all are a wealth of knowledge!

Old 06-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

I have not had to change rotors yet, but switching to EBC Red pads reduced the dusting. It's​ also better because what dust is made is a lighter color. Grabbiness is gone completely. And ultimate stopping power is great.

As far as the rotors go, measure them and see if they are above the minimum thickness stamped on them. If so, use them. If not, replace. R1 Concepts has some high carbon rotors that look pretty nice. EBC also has nice rotors available.

The following users liked this post:
Adam J (06-05-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

+1 for EBC Reds

Adam J (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

+3 for EBC, another member is giving Hart Ceramic pads a try https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-miles-183177/
They do make a set for the SC and R, XF and since this will be my last set of pads on these rotors I'm going to give them a try when my EBC's are done. I've had my EBC's for 30+k miles with NO issues.
As far as rotors I've used standard, slotted and drilled and slotted, for me slotted or standard is the way to go, drilled are just not worth the hassle on a street car (many places won't turn them) they tend to crack at the holes and the holes actually reduce your braking surface area as a trade off for cooling.

Adam J (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

r1concepts (they are online and on ebay) make a decent kit for our cars.
the ceramics I got from them are not very grabby at low speeds thankfully.

Adam J (06-06-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Agree with that. And yes the 2010 SC and XFR are the same
I got the R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors. And posiquiet pads. They were on eBay as a set sold by R1. Had them 2 yrs or so - been great. Love the look, low dust, no noise

Would never go back to oem...

Adam J (06-10-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Agree with that. And yes the 2010 SC and XFR are the same
I got the R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors. And posiquiet pads. They were on eBay as a set sold by R1. Had them 2 yrs or so - been great. Love the look, low dust, no noise

Would never go back to oem...
Good to have a long term review on the R1's. Are they the high carbon or the oem replacements?

Adam J (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Good to have a long term review on the R1's. Are they the high carbon or the oem replacements?
I have the 2010 xf supercharged, with the brake kit from R1.
My rotors are zinc dipped silver slottted, with the ceramic pads.

just a normal ceramic pad.

Adam J (06-26-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

gents, after all the advice I'm definitely interested in the R1 concepts packages.

I'm looking at the "E line" because they look very cost effective and likely an upgrade over the factory brakes.

i'm a bit torn between the black and silver rotors. i'd like the black, but i assume the finish wears off - anyone with experience with this? i assume it would look weird...

also the drilled vs slotted vs drilled and slotted.. what's the right answer? for some reason their drilled and slotted are much less expensive than the slotted alone - why would that be?

i'm just a leisurely driver - once or twice a week. i do enjoy the gas pedal and want a substantial feel from the brakes when reigning it in..

Old 06-13-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

I got drilled and slotted R1 on mine. I doubt you can feel the difference in typical driving (in theory it gives better cooling) but I just preferred the look.

Mine look a bit different from eline - two rows of holes between each slot - see pics below. They are the silver ones. But I can't remember the series. Was a couple of years ago now.

Check what pads you get. Mine are post-quiet ceramic (so they claimed on the box) although they may actually be semi metallic. Overall I've been impressed. They are less grabby and smoother - but you have to press a little harder.

Think the whole set 4x rotors and all pads came together as a kit for about $700. Was a lot more expensive than the standard XF kits (bigger brakes on SC and XFR so they charge more...). Still a lot less than oem
And very little dust!

Attached Thumbnails XF s/c, XFR brakes - what are your experiences?-photo609.jpg   XF s/c, XFR brakes - what are your experiences?-photo588.jpg  
Adam J (06-26-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam J
gents, after all the advice I'm definitely interested in the R1 concepts packages.

I'm looking at the "E line" because they look very cost effective and likely an upgrade over the factory brakes.

i'm a bit torn between the black and silver rotors. i'd like the black, but i assume the finish wears off - anyone with experience with this? i assume it would look weird...

also the drilled vs slotted vs drilled and slotted.. what's the right answer? for some reason their drilled and slotted are much less expensive than the slotted alone - why would that be?

i'm just a leisurely driver - once or twice a week. i do enjoy the gas pedal and want a substantial feel from the brakes when reigning it in..
I've done R1 brakes (They use to be local to me) for over 20 years and they have ALWAYS been top notch in products and service>

Adam J (06-26-2017)