XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Seat upgrade

Old 06-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XF Seat upgrade

Hi All.

I found a set of 16 way heated & cooled sports seats on ebay and got them for a good price.

Tried fitting them today to my 2008 XF Premium Lux but have the following questions:

Theres 3 plugs. 1 straight fit, 1 different plug but same colour wires. and 1 I worked the wiring out but have 2 wires that don't match the 2 left.

Swapped connectors and put them in the car. All worked fine, full movement and memory functions working.
Air bag light on
Heated seats don't work

There doesn't seam to be a heating element on the new seats like my old ones, My car doesn't have cooled seats, only heated.

Any advice would be welcome, I've trawled the forums but haven't found any answers.

Thanks in advance,

John.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

When you install again factory installed seats the lights are off now or not?

About climate control seats: the main problem with connector housings are their pins, so the best way to find climate control connector housings with wiring from junkyard. Another one problem is the necessary of reprogramming CCF file and programming climate control module, also need to solve wiring from climate control modules to seats, we talk about more than 50 pins with disassemble of almost half floor front part for routing new wiring.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:08 PM

Hi All,

Just an update on my retro fit seats. My car is a Sept 2008 XF and has 10 way heated seats. The sports seats I want to fit are 18-way and dated Feb 2011.

I am aware of the need for the climate module to get the heated and cooled seats working. I have purchased it and the plugs are on order with JLR.

My mission today was simply to install the seats and have the full motor functions etc working. Doesn't that sound easy!!!

I have traced all of the wiring as the plugs on the seats are different to the original. I swapped the plugs, checked and double checked. Every wire had a place to go and a purpose.

Installed the drivers seat. All motor functions work and the memory positions work. Only one problem, AIRBAG light on!!!!!!

So. checked all wires and connections, re-traced wires. Checked the air bag wire from the plug to the airbag, (2 wires YE/GY and GN/BL) all ok.

I assumed it must be a faulty or damaged airbag (Not knowing the history of the sports seats).

Original airbag in new seats, installed and....... AIRBAG LIGHT STILL ON!!!!!

GIVE UP!!!! Put original seats back together with original air bag, all fine. No airbag light, all working perfectly.

WHAT AM I MISSING OR DOING WRONG??????

Please, somebody throw me a life line!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hi I to replaced seats in my salvage 09 xf.I went and started with heated cooled seats. 2 problems I had on airbag system ,both seat belts were deployed, pass seat classification box bad ....I have a scanner that told me both problems.but you can look at the airbag lite --it will flash a 2 digit code get it then look it up here to get a starting point..also look at the seat belts if they deploy they will be shorted/compressed also there will be a rod/cable at the end of the tube at the bottom of the seatbelt..hope this helps you

Old 06-16-2017, 12:05 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by mark campbell
hi I to replaced seats in my salvage 09 xf.I went and started with heated cooled seats. 2 problems I had on airbag system ,both seat belts were deployed, pass seat classification box bad ....I have a scanner that told me both problems.but you can look at the airbag lite --it will flash a 2 digit code get it then look it up here to get a starting point..also look at the seat belts if they deploy they will be shorted/compressed also there will be a rod/cable at the end of the tube at the bottom of the seatbelt..hope this helps you
Thanks for your comments.

I used my original seat belt and made sure the cables were correct and traced back to the original plug.

I've tried my basic OBD code reader but it doesn't show any faults.

I am forced to assume that the seats were in a crash and it has been recorded by the control module.

Think I'm going to give up and put them back on ebay.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by texaspete
Thanks for your comments.

I used my original seat belt and made sure the cables were correct and traced back to the original plug.

I've tried my basic OBD code reader but it doesn't show any faults.

I am forced to assume that the seats were in a crash and it has been recorded by the control module.

Think I'm going to give up and put them back on ebay.
So you connect you factory fitted seat belt buckles in new seats and Airbag lights still on?

Old 06-17-2017, 04:46 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 08292
So you connect you factory fitted seat belt buckles in new seats and Airbag lights still on?
Yes, original seat belt buckle and original airbag. Light still on.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you know I am also having problems with the seat-belt and air-bag warning system after installing my new X351 seats into my 2011XF.

The Plug B (as I call it...) on the seat that has 4 wires and connects to the corresponding car plug under the seat is a bit strange because it appears to actually connect the two pairs of wires that are present. See picture below of the original seat plug which has a brown-green (BR-GN) / blue-orange (BU-OR) pair and a grey-yellow (GY-YE) / green-blue (GN-BU) pair:

On the new seats, these are 1) the brown-green (BR-GN) / blue-orange (BU-OR) pair that appear to be for the seat belt pre-tensioner and, 2) the grey-yellow (GY-YE) / yellow-orange (YE-OR).
looks to me like the 2 wires on left and 2 wires on right are connected together by the plug.

Any ideas if this is true that they are connected (shorted) by the plug - and why?

Also the 4 pins from plug B of the new seats are a bit narrower than my original seat plug pins, so perhaps the contact is not so good when I fit them to the new plug I bought. Michael provided me with the reference for the original plugs (like in my original seats) that would fit my car plugs. I did not want to start cutting wires.

However I want to try this directs joining now for plug B - but I am not sure if I should connect all 4 wires separately or join the pairs like the plug appears to do. Any advice?

Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

This suggestion comes in from someone on another board I forwarded the question to:

---

"
You’ll need to use the 2008 pretensioner sensors and SRS hardware on the 2011, sounds like the SDM system is sending a test code out and not getting the response it wants.
Had a Silverado come in woth codes, they said they replaced both front inpact sensors but still had a code. Went through the diagnostic tree and got an okay from GM to replace the SDM. Still had a code, so for ***** I pulled out the “new sensors”, here they weren’t for that year truck, infact, one was for a G-Van. Replaced them, and bam, codes gone. They are super sensative on what parameters they send a test code out for."

Old 06-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Question

Originally Posted by chabadav
As you know I am also having problems with the seat-belt and air-bag warning system after installing my new X351 seats into my 2011XF.

The Plug B (as I call it...) on the seat that has 4 wires and connects to the corresponding car plug under the seat is a bit strange because it appears to actually connect the two pairs of wires that are present. See picture below of the original seat plug which has a brown-green (BR-GN) / blue-orange (BU-OR) pair and a grey-yellow (GY-YE) / green-blue (GN-BU) pair:

On the new seats, these are 1) the brown-green (BR-GN) / blue-orange (BU-OR) pair that appear to be for the seat belt pre-tensioner and, 2) the grey-yellow (GY-YE) / yellow-orange (YE-OR).
looks to me like the 2 wires on left and 2 wires on right are connected together by the plug.

Any ideas if this is true that they are connected (shorted) by the plug - and why?

Also the 4 pins from plug B of the new seats are a bit narrower than my original seat plug pins, so perhaps the contact is not so good when I fit them to the new plug I bought. Michael provided me with the reference for the original plugs (like in my original seats) that would fit my car plugs. I did not want to start cutting wires.

However I want to try this directs joining now for plug B - but I am not sure if I should connect all 4 wires separately or join the pairs like the plug appears to do. Any advice?

I also noticed the plug shorts between the pins. When the 2 connectors are plugged together, it pushes the pins away from the contacts, breaking the short.
I assumed this was for a the car to recognize when the pug isn't in correct?

Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Question

Originally Posted by JessN16
This suggestion comes in from someone on another board I forwarded the question to:

---

"
You’ll need to use the 2008 pretensioner sensors and SRS hardware on the 2011, sounds like the SDM system is sending a test code out and not getting the response it wants.
Had a Silverado come in woth codes, they said they replaced both front inpact sensors but still had a code. Went through the diagnostic tree and got an okay from GM to replace the SDM. Still had a code, so for ***** I pulled out the “new sensors”, here they weren’t for that year truck, infact, one was for a G-Van. Replaced them, and bam, codes gone. They are super sensative on what parameters they send a test code out for."
With my seats, I have used the original seat belt and pre-tensioner. I also swapped the air bag incase the readings were different. Made no difference.

Is it possible the chair module has a code stored in there?

Is there a drivers seat occupancy sensor, or does it assume that the driver will always be present so doesn't need one like the passenger seat?

Old 06-21-2017, 05:22 AM

Indeed, I did not try swapping the original SRS and belt hardware from my original 2011 seat to my "new" 2013 X351 seat because you have already tried this and it made no difference to the warning lights.

I also tend to think that there must be some codes in the seat modules that need to be changed.

Unfortunately no one really knows...

Also, with respect to your possible explanation for the shorting of the wires in the plug B only upon disconnection - this would make sense to me if it was shorted on the car plug upon disconnection, but not so so much for the seat side plug (the car would not know...).

I wish I had some more time at the moment to test all these things!

Old 06-22-2017, 01:22 AM
Question

Indeed, I did not try swapping the original SRS and belt hardware from my original 2011 seat to my "new" 2013 X351 seat because you have already tried this and it made no difference to the warning lights.

I also tend to think that there must be some codes in the seat modules that need to be changed.

Unfortunately no one really knows...

Also, with respect to your possible explanation for the shorting of the wires in the plug B only upon disconnection - this would make sense to me if it was shorted on the car plug upon disconnection, but not so so much for the seat side plug (the car would not know...).

I wish I had some more time at the moment to test all these things!
Good point regarding the plug, the car wouldn't know the pins are shorted. Perhaps its to short any charge left in the pre-tensioner and airbag?
I have seen on the circuit diagrams page 174 a YE-VT cable for driver seat track that feeds back to the Restraint Control Module. Could this be the sensor thats giving a wrong reading back to the car?

It might be that the new seat installed was not at the same place as the old seat when removed, causing a mis match info.

Might be worth making sure both seats are in the same position when they are swapped?

Old 06-22-2017, 03:55 AM

I did not think about setting both seats in the same position prior to removal/installation - this kind of makes sense and definitely worth trying. I will set to the extremes and try out.

The YE-YT wire you refer to is indeed for the "Sensor-driver-Seat track" and is located in plug C of both car and seat.
Next to this YE-VT wire in plug C of my X351 seat is a GY-BU wire that appears to be for the seat belt "Pre-tensioner and buckle Switch-driver" (page 205 of X351 wiring manual). In the XF car plug C however it is a GN-BU wire ("Switch-buckle-Driver" on page 174 of XF car wiring diagram).
Both of these wires should therefore be connected properly in plug C.

More important, I think, is whether the BU-OR and BN-GN wires for the pre-tensioner are connected properly in plug B (the plug with the confusing shorting function...). They are for power (BU-OR) and return (BN-GN) These wires are clearly indicated with the twisted together sign on the wiring diagrams for the safety belt system as follows:

"Pre-tensioner and buckle Switch-driver" (page 205 of X351 wiring manual, next to GY-BU signal wire)
"Pre-tensioner-Driver" on page 174 of XF wiring manual (lower left side of diagram)

Old 06-22-2017, 06:11 AM

Hi texaspete, in addition to the SRS and seat belt buckle hardware, did you also swap the original seat track sensor from factory installed seats to your new XFR seats?

Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Question

Hi texaspete, in addition to the SRS and seat belt buckle hardware, did you also swap the original seat track sensor from factory installed seats to your new XFR seats?
No.

Just changed the air bag and seat belt. The sensor might be the next thing to swap.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:44 PM
Smile Does jaguar 2011 xf v6 without heated seats have heated seats in place

Hi
I have purchased a used 2011 XF thinking that it had heated seats. I have since discovered it doesn't.
Does anyone know if the seats I have will have the heating elements already in them? Is it just a matter of having the wiring connected? And would this then also update my display module so as I could operate the heated seats?

Alternatively, is there an upgrade kit available?

Thanks