XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR-S Upgraded Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

I suspect CARB does not care if you use a cone filter or modify the intake so long as emissions stay within limits.

Someone want to read the rules (they're public)?

Old 10-28-2019, 07:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

so is the heat soak issue more from the aluminum tube or the cone filter? I have k and n drop ins with the mina tube and to be honest I am not I love with the tube but I already spent the money

Old 10-28-2019, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by wimmer
so is the heat soak issue more from the aluminum tube or the cone filter? I have k and n drop ins with the mina tube and to be honest I am not I love with the tube but I already spent the money
Both. Many will say that the air isn't in the aluminum tube long enough to have an effect, but the fact remains that it does heat the air by some degree, and if you can prevent heat transfer (such as by using carbon fiber, which has reasonably good heat insulation properties) then you probably should.

However, the main issue with heat soak is the cone filters sucking in hot air from the engine - the factory air boxes do a reasonable job of insulating the intake air from the engine, which at least in mine appears to get positively roasting under my hood and lets off heat like a radiator. It makes sense to insulate air intake from this as much as possible: the hotter the air, the less dense it is - and therefore less fuel, crappier explosion, less power. I think in an engine bay like ours if you don't insulate the cone filters from the hot engine air they could well be losing you more power than they're gaining (admittedly with fairly tasty supercharger whine) with how hot the air around the engine is.

Personally I'm working on shielding the cone filters from the rest of the engine bay with carbon fiber sheeting, and adding additional cold air intakes from the front bumper vents, along with potentially upgraded auxiliary cooling radiators.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for the insight

Old 10-29-2019, 10:40 AM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Both. Many will say that the air isn't in the aluminum tube long enough to have an effect, but the fact remains that it does heat the air by some degree, and if you can prevent heat transfer (such as by using carbon fiber, which has reasonably good heat insulation properties) then you probably should.

However, the main issue with heat soak is the cone filters sucking in hot air from the engine - the factory air boxes do a reasonable job of insulating the intake air from the engine, which at least in mine appears to get positively roasting under my hood and lets off heat like a radiator. It makes sense to insulate air intake from this as much as possible: the hotter the air, the less dense it is - and therefore less fuel, crappier explosion, less power. I think in an engine bay like ours if you don't insulate the cone filters from the hot engine air they could well be losing you more power than they're gaining (admittedly with fairly tasty supercharger whine) with how hot the air around the engine is.

Personally I'm working on shielding the cone filters from the rest of the engine bay with carbon fiber sheeting, and adding additional cold air intakes from the front bumper vents, along with potentially upgraded auxiliary cooling radiators.
Here is a good video explaining the differences in performance and temps, when comparing stock airbox vs cold air intake (CAI) vs short ram intake (SRAI). The intake layout on the XFR that everyone is changing to is a SRAI. From all the videos I have seen where they measured IATs, Coolant temps, and Battery temps comparing stock box to a cone filter intake, the variance wasn't drastic. For SRAI, the power was lost at idle to low RPM range, but gained at mid to higher RPM. So unless we have dyno data specific to our cars comparing stock airbox to short ram (cone) intake, then we are all just assuming whether power is lost or made.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jaaaggg:
davetibbs (10-29-2019), HoustonSalsaR (10-29-2019), lifted.n.lowered (03-25-2021), Reaxions (02-14-2022)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
So unless we have dyno data specific to our cars comparing stock airbox to short ram (cone) intake, then we are all just assuming whether power is lost or made.
100%

The following users liked this post:
lifted.n.lowered (03-25-2021)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Intake

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Due to my skull being so thick, I can't understand why the intake would cause losses. I hope you're not insinuating that the metal tube heats up the air hurtling through it.

You can use heat retardant gold adhesive tape and you can bring those temps down.
I have a very good vendor and he is located in the UK.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koufidakis Alexandros
You can use heat retardant gold adhesive tape and you can bring those temps down.
I have a very good vendor and he is located in the UK.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I suspect CARB does not care if you use a cone filter or modify the intake so long as emissions stay within limits.

Someone want to read the rules (they're public)?
Nope. They definitely care. You will not pass smog if they see you have an aftermarket intake.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

A decent one will not look out of place. Do the smog places have pictures of every car's intake to make sure and check carefully?

If they do, there must be a law about it - what is it? It must be a CA-specific one...

Old 07-18-2022, 02:53 AM
no1
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs

Funny you should ask, I've been working on an intake for the older MAFs that my car has.

These MAF adaptors pipes off eBay, combined with some M4x8mm screws, fit the older MAF sensors perfectly. And yes, the supercharger HOWLS with them on.

Next job is to fab up some heat shields and improve piping, along with additional Cold Air Feeds that I'm working on. I'd love it if someone could make a Carbon Fiber version of the Mina Gallery intake.
that's what I'm currently working on building a polycarbonate enclosure around the cones to keep the most of the heat out and fabricating cold air feeds from the two lower corner grills

Will be something similar to this

Old 07-18-2022, 03:26 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm now 4 years into running my current setup with zero problems. I do need to replace the filters though as the foam is starting to split. I'm going to change them for the newer version with the wire mesh over the foam instead.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,137 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Puntoboy
I'm now 4 years into running my current setup with zero problems. I do need to replace the filters though as the foam is starting to split. I'm going to change them for the newer version with the wire mesh over the foam instead.

And a belated update from me too.
A year or so ago I fitted the Mina Gallery lower intake system to my F-Type and it has been great, see here: https://minagallery.com/jaguar-f-typ...-tube-filters/
Pretty much the exact same filters as fitted by Dave Tibbs per earlier posts ie oil coated fabric covered by wire mesh.
No worries about engine bay heat for the F-Type or need for any shields or boxes as the filters sit way down in front of the front wheels.
The system has released a big fat pile of SC whine as it dispenses with the baffles in the stock intake tubes.

Puntoboy (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 09:14 AM
no1

Originally Posted by Puntoboy

I do have a question that u might be able to help me out with. Last night I disconnected both MAF sensors and removed everything except the intake pipe and this morning when I plugged the MAF sensors back up the car would stsrt but immediately bog down and stop running but the car will start and stay running if i disconnect both MAF sensors
any idea what im doing wrong or did wrong to cause this issue

Old 07-18-2022, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 295 Posts

i blocked the heat of on mines

Old 07-18-2022, 10:57 PM
no1

Originally Posted by dennis black
i blocked the heat of on mines
I've got those "heat shields" from mina too and they don't block much of anything. Take a heat gun sometime after u have been out for a good rip. Pop the hood and shoot the laser at one of the cones, then the surrounding area, then at the engine and over the rad where I see some people still have those factory tubes sucking all that lovely hot air from directly above the smoking hot rad

Old 07-19-2022, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 295 Posts

Where the shield is I double up pn the gaps with sticky back silver heat shield from home depot,and you are correct it's hard to keep cool ,all it does is make a nice sound, when i had a RX7 it made it slower

Last edited by dennis black; 07-19-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2022, 01:34 PM
no1

Originally Posted by OzXFR
And a belated update from me too.
A year or so ago I fitted the Mina Gallery lower intake system to my F-Type and it has been great, see here: https://minagallery.com/jaguar-f-typ...-tube-filters/
Pretty much the exact same filters as fitted by Dave Tibbs per earlier posts ie oil coated fabric covered by wire mesh.
No worries about engine bay heat for the F-Type or need for any shields or boxes as the filters sit way down in front of the front wheels.
The system has released a big fat pile of SC whine as it dispenses with the baffles in the stock intake tubes.
you should add a couple photos I'm curious to see how it fits and looks. With my 2013 xfr I would only be able to get away that type of setup on one side, the opposite side has some type of an intercooler that is smack dab right in the way

Last edited by no1; 07-19-2022 at 01:40 PM.
JSR (12-01-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 06:46 AM
JSR
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Working on this jaguar intake system for my car full carbon intake

The following 2 users liked this post by JSR:
DeviLSh (12-01-2022), Reaxions (11-30-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 05:59 AM
JSR
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by no1
you should add a couple photos I'm curious to see how it fits and looks. With my 2013 xfr I would only be able to get away that type of setup on one side, the opposite side has some type of an intercooler that is smack dab right in the way
Most definitely will be posting more pictures. I made it work with the existing plumbing. It work around it for me . I would have to see your set up . I wanted my stock intake scoops to also continue to function as well without removing or relocating anything

Quick Reply: XFR-S Upgraded Air Intake