XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR-S Upgraded Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 02:47 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default XFR-S Upgraded Air Intake

I really wanted to hear the supercharger more, so with that in mind I removed the engine cover and under-bonnet insulation, but this didn’t make much difference. I could just about hear it from a standing start, but soon after the exhaust would drown it out.

I also fitted a stainless steel intake pipe as many though the standard pipe, with its built in silencers, was also to blame for the silent supercharger. It didn’t make any difference.

So the only thing left to do was to swap out the factory air boxes with some cone filters. On the later 5.0 V8 Jaguar changed the MAF sensor slightly. It still bolts into the air box but it has around a 20mm lip on the inside, perfect for clamping an air filter on.

So I measured up to see what filters would fit and I ended up with a pair of Ramair filters.

Instantly it came to life! The supercharger noise was released!

Took her for a spin and you can really here it.

So pleased with the noise, it sounded fantastic on the track yesterday just a shame my cameras failed and you can’t hear it.

The following 6 users liked this post by Puntoboy:
Jaaaggg (10-28-2019), JgaXkr (07-24-2018), Kleetus92 (08-20-2019), Koufidakis Alexandros (10-18-2019), Reaxions (02-14-2022), XJ8JR (07-02-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-02-2018, 04:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Those filters look awesome and it sounds great too! Good job. Can you please shoot the link for those filters on here please

Old 07-03-2018, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Akwarr
Those filters look awesome and it sounds great too! Good job. Can you please shoot the link for those filters on here please
Thanks. I bought them from Amazon but the Ramair website has them for the same price.

UNIVERSAL INDUCTION CONE FOAM POD AIR FILTER FOR CUSTOM KITS - 90MM WITH REDUCING RINGS | Ramair Filters

Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 AM
Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Now put the car on a dynamometer on a hot day to see how much power you've lost

Old 07-03-2018, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Etypephil
This is why I love forums, there’s always one

i actually haven’t finished yet. Still need to make up some barriers to separate the filters from the engine. These will incorporate the factory cold air feeds.

Last edited by Puntoboy; 07-03-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Ugh.

People can't seem to get it through their skulls that cone filters only really suck in warm air when you're standing still or moving slowly. So long as you still have access to outside air (ie keeping the stock snorkels in place, etc.), the instant you get moving, the rush of air flow compensates for the lack of power while idling (btw, who needs power when you're idling?).

Yes, temps do rise faster with cones when you're standing still, but they drop like a rock as soon as you get moving again, much faster than they do with the stock box. I have seen this for myself using live OBD data on my old X350, even without a heat shield.

I'm glad somebody else has finally done this mod. The Ftype guys have been trying to increase supercharger whine for a while now, but when they're given the answer, nobody actually goes through with it.

Last edited by XJ8JR; 07-03-2018 at 12:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lifted.n.lowered (03-25-2021)
Old 07-03-2018, 02:57 PM

Not sure why no one does it when the answer is out there.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Puntoboy
Coz as I explained on the other forum with the F-Type it's not a simple case of swapping out the stock air boxes and panel filters for a pair of cone filters like you have done on your XFR-S. The F-Type air boxes are tucked way down low in front of the front wheels, they are not at all easy to get at (odds on the whole front bumper has to come off to get at the mounting brackets and/or bracket bolts), and then you have to figure out a way of holding the cones firmly in place so they don't wobble around which probably means custom made brackets.
Apologies if you are talking only about the XFR and/or XFR-S, as I assume you are now talking about the F-Type.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Ugh.

People can't seem to get it through their skulls that cone filters only really suck in warm air when you're standing still or moving slowly. So long as you still have access to outside air (ie keeping the stock snorkels in place, etc.), the instant you get moving, the rush of air flow compensates for the lack of power while idling (btw, who needs power when you're idling?).

Yes, temps do rise faster with cones when you're standing still, but they drop like a rock as soon as you get moving again, much faster than they do with the stock box. I have seen this for myself using live OBD data on my old X350, even without a heat shield.

I'm glad somebody else has finally done this mod. The Ftype guys have been trying to increase supercharger whine for a while now, but when they're given the answer, nobody actually goes through with it.
Who said the filters were to blame? Although they won't help matters, the major losses will be caused by the aftermarket intake. Some people's skulls are so thick that they presume to know everything, including what occurs in the heads of others.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 PM

This is why I love forums, there’s always one

i actually haven’t finished yet. Still need to make up some barriers to separate the filters from the engine. These will incorporate the factory cold air feeds.
I wasn't having a pop at you; it is always useful to know the effects of any modification in isolation and in conjunction with others. In this case you will probably have lost 5 -6% of your power across the entire engine speed range, but only before and after dynamometer testing would confirm this, a hot day would be preferable as high ambient temperatures exacerbate any tendency to heat the charge.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:00 PM

Sometimes the "solution" to a problem has downsides more than compensating for the perceived improvement. If you want more blower whine, start by increasing the supercharger rpm, with a pulley upgrade, Powerhouse will supply, and fit, including any necessary machining for a very modest sum. This will have the added benefit of increased bhp & Nm, a proper (bespoke) dynamometer proved remap would be needed to fully exploit this, and any other changes (exhaust etc) which you may have made. Less than a grand, and you'll have your supercharger howl, and C600 bhp.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Coz as I explained on the other forum with the F-Type it's not a simple case of swapping out the stock air boxes and panel filters for a pair of cone filters like you have done on your XFR-S. The F-Type air boxes are tucked way down low in front of the front wheels, they are not at all easy to get at (odds on the whole front bumper has to come off to get at the mounting brackets and/or bracket bolts), and then you have to figure out a way of holding the cones firmly in place so they don't wobble around which probably means custom made brackets.
Apologies if you are talking only about the XFR and/or XFR-S, as I assume you are now talking about the F-Type.
I was talking XF. I know the challenges with the F-Type

Who said the filters were to blame? Although they won't help matters, the major losses will be caused by the aftermarket intake. Some people's skulls are so thick that they presume to know everything, including what occurs in the heads of others.
as said, I haven’t finished yet. I’ve got some gold heat reflective tape on order. I’m also considering changing the stainless steel pipe for something slightly different but still benefitting from the better airflow.

I wasn't having a pop at you; it is always useful to know the effects of any modification in isolation and in conjunction with others. In this case you will probably have lost 5 -6% of your power across the entire engine speed range, but only before and after dynamometer testing would confirm this, a hot day would be preferable as high ambient temperatures exacerbate any tendency to heat the charge.
I spent a couple of weeks researching before I took the plunge, I knew the potential issues but thanks.

Sometimes the "solution" to a problem has downsides more than compensating for the perceived improvement. If you want more blower whine, start by increasing the supercharger rpm, with a pulley upgrade, Powerhouse will supply, and fit, including any necessary machining for a very modest sum. This will have the added benefit of increased bhp & Nm, a proper (bespoke) dynamometer proved remap would be needed to fully exploit this, and any other changes (exhaust etc) which you may have made. Less than a grand, and you'll have your supercharger howl, and C600 bhp.
I didn’t want to make a change so drastic as a pulley upgrade. My car is still under warranty and whilst I’ll likely get away with a simple air box change I doubt I would be so lucky with a pulley upgrade.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:16 AM

Please keep us updated; the experience of others is always useful, good, or bad. Hopefully you won't need to use the warranty, irrespective of modifications clouding matters; the whole car is a well engineered device about as tough and reliable as they come, given proper maintenance and a not too crazy search for power.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:17 AM

Please keep us updated; the experience of others is always useful, good, or bad. Hopefully you won't need to use the warranty, irrespective of modifications clouding matters; the whole car is a well engineered device about as tough and reliable as they come, given proper maintenance and a not too crazy search for power.
At 20k miles I have already had a supercharger replaced under warranty.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:22 AM

At 20k miles I have already had a supercharger replaced under warranty.
Oh dear, you have been unfortunate. I have one supercharged Jag on 72,000, and the other on 136,000, with no such problems, or any others, except for an occasional spurious warning lamp illumination.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:35 AM

Oh dear, you have been unfortunate. I have one supercharged Jag on 72,000, and the other on 136,000, with no such problems, or any others, except for an occasional spurious warning lamp illumination.
I probsbly have but SC failures aren’t uncommon. It started as the usual snout rattle but the dealer replaced that and it didn’t fully cure the issue so had no choice but to replace the entire SC.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 AM
les
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The whole Blower on mine was replaced just before I bought the car at 50,000 miles. Lucky for me!

Old 07-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Due to my skull being so thick, I can't understand why the intake would cause losses. I hope you're not insinuating that the metal tube heats up the air hurtling through it.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
My apologies, it is more difficult for the Ftype guys to implement. I do remember seeing somebody had done it before:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ke-mod-150598/

Old 07-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Due to my skull being so thick, I can't understand why the intake would cause losses. I hope you're not insinuating that the metal tube heats up the air hurtling through it.
I would assume not as well. While the intake tube would be heat soaked after a short amount of time, the air would be flowing fast enough that it wouldn't heat up enough before reaching the engine.

Quick Reply: XFR-S Upgraded Air Intake