XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

'15-16 XJ V6 AWD - Some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '15-16 XJ V6 AWD - Some questions...

Hello again! I've got a few questions about the the 2015-2016 XJ V6 AWD cards.

1. I'm not seeing many(any) used XJs listing adaptive cruise control. Is there a way to visually identify this feature? Buttons I should look for, etc?
2. Routine maintenance - what are the year to year costs/services and is there a guide that shows the bigger services that are needed by time or mileage?
3. Finding the exact feature/color set that I am interested in is proving a challenge. Several XJs tick all the boxes except they don't have the steering wheel with the wood inlay. Is it possible to replace the steering wheel and if so any general ideas on cost to factor in?

I'm learning more and more each day!

Thanks for all the help to date and for any replies.

-Devin

Old 07-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Jaguars are rare compared to German luxury cars. So, unless you special order an XJ with everything you want (and pay the price), you probably won't find it quickly as a used car even if you expand your search to all states.

Jaguar's website has a CPO finder:
Certified Pre-Owned Inventory - Used Vehicles | Jaguar USA

The following users liked this post:
Vorpel (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

The XJ's that have adaptive cruise control are immediately identifiable by looking at the emblem on the grill. If the emblem is simply attached to the grill, the car does not have adaptive cruise control. If it does, there is an odd-looking, rectangular plate of some sort behind the emblem. I guess it's a matter of opinion/taste, but I find it unsightly.

I'm not going to offer a set answer on maintenance costs - that will depend largely on whether you are a DIY-er, patronize an independent shop, or have it maintained by a Jaguar dealer. It can run from "not so bad" to "outrageous".

Steering wheels are available online. That was a deal-breaker item for me and since I wasn't finding many with it, I did a little research. If I recall correctly, they ranged from about $1200 - 1600 for the wood wheel, depending on the color of leather and the type of wood. Again, the actual swap will depend on your choice of labor.

Dwayne

Vorpel (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the feedback and info!

Old 07-07-2018, 06:28 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dga57 The XJ's that have adaptive cruise control are immediately identifiable by looking at the emblem on the grill. If the emblem is simply attached to the grill, the car does not have adaptive cruise control. If it does, there is an odd-looking, rectangular plate of some sort behind the emblem...."

This is only true for the face-lifted X351's. Originals have no plates. You have to look at the cruise control buttons on originals to know. There are gap control buttons on those with ACC. See below. Top has ACC; bottom No ACC

Last edited by RoonieQ; 07-07-2018 at 06:37 AM. Reason: messed up image
Vorpel (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Thanks RoonieQ! I figured that there had to be additional buttons.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

That's interesting... I used to have a Lincoln MKT with adaptive cruise control and there were no extra buttons - you had a choice of adaptive cruise control or having it off. I personally found it to be as much a nuisance as anything.
Oh well, you learn something new every day!

Dwayne

Old 07-07-2018, 04:59 PM

I didn't think that I would like adaptive CC but after a week long trip last year and taking the time to get used to it - I fell in love with it.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:55 AM

ACC is really nice on longer drives. And you always have the option of turning off the "follow" mode and using it like standard cruise control (holds set speed without "follow").

The annoyance with the earlier version on the X351, is that it disconnects and requires driver intervention once the vehicle drops below a certain speed (~20mph??). On the face-lifted X351's, the newer version will stop the vehicle completely and reengage from a stop with a quick tap on the accelerator pedal. This makes it much more practical in slower or stop-and-go traffic.

And once you've been spoiled by it, you really miss it on trips.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by dga57
That's interesting... I used to have a Lincoln MKT with adaptive cruise control and there were no extra buttons - you had a choice of adaptive cruise control or having it off. I personally found it to be as much a nuisance as anything.
Oh well, you learn something new every day!

Dwayne
The extra buttons give you the ability to select how much gap is maintained between you and the vehicle you're following. There are three preset gap distances from which to select. ACC always starts with the largest gap as default from which point you optionally can tighten up the gap by a couple of degrees or revert to greater gap if previously tightened. Maybe the MKT only had one set distance and hence no need for buttons. This tech has definitely evolved/improved over the years.