XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 Jaguar Engine seized

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 Jaguar Engine seized

My car made a chattering sound the other night while i was driving it 5 minutes away from home. Made it home safe. I started the car up the next morning, it turned on for a few seconds then car Shutted off. Car wouldnt start so i had to get it towed to dealer.

Dealer said my engine is seized!

What can cause my Engine to seize?? I only have 60k miles on it. Please help! thanks

- 2011 Jaguar XJ 5.0 Supercharge

Old 07-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by prodigy215
What can cause my Engine to seize?? I only have 60k miles on it. Please help! thanks
Generally.....

A) lack of lubrication, which can arise in various ways. Low oil level. Dirty, old oil that has turned into sludge. Rogue internal failure of the oiling system... like an oil pump failure

B) random internal part failure, such as a connecting rod breaking and physically preventing the reciprocating assembly from, well, reciprocating

C) gross overheating, which can be a cooling system fault or an oil system fault

Cheers
DD

Old 07-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Doug you forgot a direct injector dumping fuel and hydrolocking engine. Already had a few of those

Old 07-10-2017, 03:21 PM

Thanks alot for the reply guys really appreciate it

Old 07-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Exclamation

The Dealership contacted me today and said they found Metal shavings in the engine oil, and the whole engine needs to be replaced. I asked whats the price and he said $36,000. I gave him information on extended warranty that i purchased when i bought the car. Not sure if it will help reduce the price. Is 36k overpriced? that price is insane

Old 07-10-2017, 11:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my engine had to be replaced after previous owner had apparently let it over heat. Estimate i received for engine replacement was $30,000 if i had to pay for it. Thankfully i had a warranty.

I sympathize with you. It was an agonizing experience for me. I want to know what ends up happening and what really was the culprit of this seizing. I too have a 2011 XJ with 30,000 miles on the new engine. Original engine died at only 35,000 miles...

I dont get it... I have never had a car that was so damn delicate. I love it. But i have to treat it with gloves.

And im seriously thinking of replacing it with another one BEFORE the warranty runs out. I just dont know about owning a car like this not in warranty.

Can you get an independant to give you an estimate on a rebuild and not a complete engine replacement? If its under warranty and you ACTUALLY get a new engine then yeah do that.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:46 AM

the dealership contacted me today and said they found metal shavings in the engine oil, and the whole engine needs to be replaced. I asked whats the price and he said $36,000. I gave him information on extended warranty that i purchased when i bought the car. Not sure if it will help reduce the price. Is 36k overpriced? That price is insane
that is about correct $$ and yes your ext warranty "should" cover barring them trying to weasel and that you bought a good one, with a good company. But they usually want to "see" the damage and tear down the engine. You will have to authorize this because if they deny for whatever(pluto and uranus are aligned etc) youre then on the hook for that labor cost and subsequent repairs so tread carefully

Last edited by Brutal; 07-11-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm in he same boat. Although my engine still runs. But one of the heads has been damaged due to a timing issue and will likely fail at any time. I'm trying to figure out how best to proceed. Also the engine my mechanic wants to use is from a 2014 5.0 sc, and according to the research I've done, that engine is not compatible to my 2011 5.0 sc, so I see other issues down the road I'm sure. So that scares me a bit too. It's just the worst situation. I got the car really cheap, but with what it will cost to get this engine swapped, I might as well have bought a much newer xjl.

Good luck, let me know what you decide.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If the engine needs to be replaced and is not covered under warranty, your options are:

1. Part out the car
2. Find a used engine

Old 07-12-2017, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by jaggate
if the engine needs to be replaced and is not covered under warranty, your options are:

1. Part out the car
2. Find a used engine
or take to a machine shop that sources the parts to rebuild better than new. Afterall there are remanned engines out there so the parts are avail. If not readily to everyone, afterall its not a dodge chevy or ford(anymore)

Old 07-12-2017, 03:40 PM

I've called so many machine rebuild shops even Coventry that specializes in jags. They all say they can't get the parts for a rebuild.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:14 AM

WELL THEY ARE OUT THERE BECAUSE AFTER 12k MILES YOU WONT GET A NEW ENGINE BUT A REMANNED ENGINE. HAVE YOU TRIED JUNK YARDS YET? CALL LKQ(LIKE KIND QUALITY) IS A DEALER AND MECHANIC SHOP NATIONWIDE USED PARTS SUPPLIER.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:56 AM

Selling by complete engine block, supercharger, and passenger side head. My engine runs incredibly well besides the timing variance sound at idle, and only has damage to the left cam shaft so I'm scrapping that head. Let me know if anyone is interested. The motor is sill in the car and I can send videos of engine running and car driving. It will also need all new timing system. I bought a new motor this morning,

Also my car has 60k miles

Old 07-20-2017, 02:20 PM

I talk to my Warranty company and they claim a private investigator went to dealership and supposely oil was only at 3 quarts of oil according to the warranty company. Which isn't true because i checked it before it went to dealer and it was over 3/4 of engine oil as stated by gauge on dash.

So basically the Warranty company said they will not cover the engine or any of the engine parts because of supposely low oil. I talk to the dealership said thats makes no sense for them not to cover it. I got Warranty to reopen the claim again. Should i get Better Business Bureau involved??

Old 07-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

3 quarts of oil

3/4 of engine oil
'3 quarts' and '3 quarters'. Sounds like a verbal communication issue.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts
Old 07-21-2017, 06:57 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I talk to my Warranty company and they claim a private investigator went to dealership and supposely oil was only at 3 quarts of oil according to the warranty company. Which isn't true because i checked it before it went to dealer and it was over 3/4 of engine oil as stated by gauge on dash.

So basically the Warranty company said they will not cover the engine or any of the engine parts because of supposely low oil. I talk to the dealership said thats makes no sense for them not to cover it. I got Warranty to reopen the claim again. Should i get Better Business Bureau involved??
The BBB is a private company with no authority to do anything and has a conflict of interest in that it requires money from "members" that it is protecting you from. IOW, they are a joke.

You have found out why only factory extended warranties are worth anything. You are going to have to take them to court to get them to cover the engine. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2017, 08:28 AM

So sorry to hear, and yes non factory warranties almost never pay for anything. I had an Audi rear main seal go at 80k with a Toyota warranty, they fixed $0. And said it was due to wrong oil at some point in its life, which is bs. Anyway, I'm selling my good engine block if your interested. Aj133 SC vin E 8th digit. It's in very good shape. 60k miles. Always serviced at a dealer, have a car fax. Car was used as a limo with a driver for a law business and never beaten on. My shop is compression testing it and cleaning it next week so I can sell it. Has the updated water pump as well. Needs a timing chain kit and a driver side head to be good to go. I have videos of it running and driving. Pm me for detail. Will sell for any decent offer.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Didn't the technician that tore down the engine note whether the oil was low? How much was drained prior to disassembly? Sorry, but something doesn't smell right. Ascertaining WHY something failed is as important as fixing the problem. Either the TECH noted that only three quarts came out of the motor and agrees with the P.I., or he notes that the correct amount came out, and DISAGREES with the P.I.. If the former is the case, he is correct, it is abuse of the vehicle. If he is INCORRECT, that is why we have a judicial system. It is a costly enough repair that is likely outside of small claims, and will require an attorney, but seek restitution of not only the repair, but the legal fees. Name as a defendant not only the warranty company, but the dealer and JLRNA. Things have a way of working themselves out.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Enosgl
Name as a defendant not only the warranty company, but the dealer and JLRNA. Things have a way of working themselves out.
That will only make a bad situation worse. I have not seen anything that would imply the dealer or JLRNA has any liability (legal or ethical) in this matter. File a frivolous claim against them and it only makes what may be a valid claim against the warranty company look even worse. My experience has been when you have a legitimate beef with someone you will get more accomplished, and have more credibility with the opposing lawyer and even the judge (which really helps if you want to get a satisfactory resolution to your claim), with a rifle shot at the problem, rather than a shot gun blast at anyone even remotely connected to the problem. Why would you ever want to bury one good claim among several obviously invalid claims - unless I misunderstood the facts of the situation. But to each his own, some folks prefer a good fight more than good reasonable result.