XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Report Card - One Year.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:25 AM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2011 XJ Report Card - One Year.

I'm back, after a long absence, to give my report card on the 2011 XJ after about a year of ownership. EXCUSE all the typos, I am not editing this!

First, my initial problems are well documented in these forums and are legendary. Snap, crackle popping...fixing, breaking, fixing, etc. Vanishing TFTs, power windows possessed by demons, freezing radios, navigations, dvds, stereos, stuttering engines, fumes, etc etc. Every possible problem, I had. To the point, I was give a BRAND SPANKING NEW XJ after 3,000 miles. I must give credit to Jaguar, for doing that at no additional charge - though the lemon laws would have kicked in anway.

Now, for the replacement car, I must say I have had virtually NO issues with it functioning improperly, though ironcially, I did just the other day notice another roof pop or two, but for most of the past 9-10 months, it was quiet as a mouse. But all in all, it has operated with no malfunctions.

Despit this, I will be dumping this car in a month or two for a 2012 CLS AMG63. A car that is only about $8-10K more than the XJ SC I have, but a full second faster 0-60...go figure.

So, what about the XJ?

1) While I orginally thought the desgin was kind of cool, sleek, etc. I no longer view it this way...the back end (mainly side profile of rear), frankly just do not look so good in my opinion. After looking at it for a year now, I do not like the sytling. Front part of car is great. In my mid 40s and looking mid 30's, I sort of look silly in this car, or out of place. Definitly more of an older guys car, just like the prior XJ.....the experiment of them trying to get the younger guys in worked only momentarily.

2) Too much interior chrome. Looks great when you clean it, then looks messy after that. It attracts every touch, smudge, print, etc., and there is a bit too much plastic in other areas. Impossible to keep clean.

3) Poor visibility to sides/rear. You sort of get use to it, but still. This is a car where the blind spot monitors really are useful/needed.

4) Trunk space is almost a joke for a car this big. A car this big, you would think has a decent size trunk. It's "adequate" at best. Very undersized for how large the car is.

5) Dealyed "punch" when you kick it in. I've no idea how superchargers are suppose to work, but there are most definitely times when, from a standing stop, or rolling start, you slam the gas pedal down and absolutely NOTHING happens for up to 2 seconds. Now, it does not always do this, but a 1/3 of the time, yes, it does. This is ridiculous quite frankly. This is not a malfunction of any sort that I can see, but just how this supercharged engine is design...I mean, this is not something that is fixable. You just deal with it. 2 seconds may not seem like a lot, but it to it is. And most of the time you probably are not punching it down.

6) Car fishtails a lot. Again, maybe this is normal for cars of this nature/amount of power. But punch it going around a turn and the rear end slides on you (with or without those fancy buttons pushed, which i never use).

7) Car is 100% an absolute JOKE in the snow. Forget about it. I mean, I have had real wheel drive cars before, and they can still be driven in snow - albeit carefully. The XJ is downright dangerous. TWICE this past winter I got stuck, when other cars did not. Once having to be towed, and once SLIDING backwards down a hill into traffic as the XJ just could NOT get up this incline. Mind you, I'm not talking a lot of snow either. Just a little. In fact, it is most dangerously RIGHT as it starts to snow, and you get that thin layer. The tires just cannot grip. This is 100% reason NOT to get this car, unless you want to change tires in the winter, and what average person does that? So many times I had to leave it in the garage and use my wife's car. If you live somehwere where it does not snow, no problem.

8) The fucntionality of the audio system is wonderful. Mind you, the "sound" is nothing super special and very overrated (it's good), but the funcionality is great. From the way it can play songs, display, browse, USB, ipod, stored discks, satellite functions, displyaing information, etc. One of the best I've seen - once you get to learn it. Very good system in that regard.

9) Navigation, again on the car that "worked" right, is also pretty decnet, and the voice commaned worked flawlessly. A bit annoying though, that is reminds you of where you need to turn, like a million times and far before the turn is coming up.

10) Touch screen, on the car that "worked", worked well, though impossible to see it in teh sunlight. Whereas the TFT, you can generally see in bright light.....when it isn't vanishing. I will say also, that the novelty of the TFT sort of wears off. I prefer to have real guagues back now (or a mixture). Also, very annoying that every time you change volume, the entire screen stops to tell you taht you are changing volume. This is a bit annoying and dealys you.

11) Heated seats get so hot, so fast you will burn your rear end. This is good, though when you turn it way down, or off, it tends to keep pumping out heat for some time. I guess they work too good. Massage function is cool at first, but then sort of annoying.

12) Auto lights do not work well. It needs to get dark before they turn on. Most cars they will turn a bit before dawn/dusk...but this XJ waits to the very end to turn on. So you find yourself turning them on yourself. The high beam assist works very well and the foward alert works very well and is an excellent feature.

Well, that's all I can think of for the moment. Was it worth $93K? Probably not. Though I list a number of issues above, they are not major, except for the snow issue. The car drives big, looks big, does not handle corners at high speeds nearly as well as people say or as is marketed. But if you're a 50+ guy who drives casually, jingles change in your pocket, and will change to snow tires in the winter, it could be a great car. I will say this, every valet who takes it just RAVES about the car. I have had nice cars in the past, but the valets really seem to love it. I seem to think mainly as they just dont' see many of them at all. And if you're not accustomed to seeing the TFT, you sort of think it is cool - at first.

The following users liked this post:
jwidick (06-20-2012)
Old 05-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks for this unbiased review I believe this will be a neat thread for anyone who is interested at these rides

Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pwl,
Thank you welcome back,
I was in exactly the same scenario as you, 3,000 plus miles jaguar gave me a brand new car . Now I have 800+ miles on it and the roof popping, creaking is starting to come back slightly.
I think be cause the whole thing is glass and between the heat and cold it flexes , their is probably no fix.
I wish it just had a hard roof with a regular sunroof instead of panoramic, in fact if the made that a option I woul by the regular sunroof vs instead of the panoramic vs.
You helped me a lot in your previous posts and glad your back.
I'm starting to feel the same way and have my eye on the BMW 750. I had two in the past no noises only one issue that was fixed .
It's hard because I never truly enjoyed the jag since I got it and that's not the way to live, now with the roof issues slightly coming back I hope nothing else does like the Nav/ radio freeze etc.
By the way on the roof yesterday the creaking came back on the incline in any drive way and a few pops on bumps , last nite no creaking or popping because it was nighttime and I swear when it cools down there are no roof issues, but in the sun baking on it and the freezing temp it makes the roof snap ,crackle, and pop,
Not a happy camper

Old 05-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had mine for almost a year now too and have almost 10,000 miles on it. After the initial "1st model year" problems were fixed, I have really enjoyed this car. Couldn't disagree more with pwl on the styling--makes the BMW 750 look downright stodgy and, personally, I don't care for the new CLS styling at all--way too angular (I really liked the old one however, especially the AMG model). I just think the XJ looks great from any angle and I sure don't see why this car wouldn't appeal to a younger buyer. I am forever being told what a great looking car it is by people of all ages. The interior design also has gotten very high marks from most of the car mags and I don't think there is any more chrome than most other luxury cars. Have to agree that the rear visibilty is bad, but the blind spot monitors work very well to offset this--that's the price you pay for a sleek roofline. I find the trunk space to be more than adequate--certainly a lot better than the Maserati QP I had--that trunk was a joke! I have had no hesitation problems with the acceleration--maybe pwl has a problem with the traction control. This could also be causing the fishtailing problem. This car just screams off the line (I've made a believer out of a few Porsches and Corvettes) and the supercharger is very smooth and quiet (compared to prior XJR models I've owned). Can't comment on driving in the snow since I live in sunny Houston, but I find the car to handle great in dry and wet road conditions and doesn't feel like the big car that it is, again contrary to what pwl says.

Overall, this has been a great car and I would highly recommend it to anyone--it's a lot of car for the money. I think some buyers just had too many problems with their dealers in fixing the initial problems so it left a bad taste in their mouth and it's understandable that they would want to make a change. Personally, I'm looking forward to a little less whining about these issues on the forum and more fun posts about how much everyone is enjoying the car.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I've had mine for almost a year now too and have almost 10,000 miles on it. After the initial "1st model year" problems were fixed, I have really enjoyed this car. Couldn't disagree more with pwl on the styling--makes the BMW 750 look downright stodgy and, personally, I don't care for the new CLS styling at all--way too angular (I really liked the old one however, especially the AMG model). I just think the XJ looks great from any angle and I sure don't see why this car wouldn't appeal to a younger buyer. I am forever being told what a great looking car it is by people of all ages. The interior design also has gotten very high marks from most of the car mags and I don't think there is any more chrome than most other luxury cars. Have to agree that the rear visibilty is bad, but the blind spot monitors work very well to offset this--that's the price you pay for a sleek roofline. I find the trunk space to be more than adequate--certainly a lot better than the Maserati QP I had--that trunk was a joke! I have had no hesitation problems with the acceleration--maybe pwl has a problem with the traction control. This could also be causing the fishtailing problem. This car just screams off the line (I've made a believer out of a few Porsches and Corvettes) and the supercharger is very smooth and quiet (compared to prior XJR models I've owned). Can't comment on driving in the snow since I live in sunny Houston, but I find the car to handle great in dry and wet road conditions and doesn't feel like the big car that it is, again contrary to what pwl says.

Overall, this has been a great car and I would highly recommend it to anyone--it's a lot of car for the money. I think some buyers just had too many problems with their dealers in fixing the initial problems so it left a bad taste in their mouth and it's understandable that they would want to make a change. Personally, I'm looking forward to a little less whining about these issues on the forum and more fun posts about how much everyone is enjoying the car.

Amen!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 AM

the cls is a smaller 4 passenger car, its nice but the jag will get more head-turns, every one has a benz.
sorry

Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't consider most of the negatives I've read on this site to be whining. If people didn't take the time to talk about some of the issues they have had, it would be a disservice. There is a great deal of information to be gained by hearing the experiences of others...good and bad.

I don't find the 750 or S class aesthetically appeals to a younger demographic. My experience has been quite the opposite. I sold my S55 for that very reason...felt odd beig 36 and driving it around. Now an M5 or an E63...I do find those to be much younger, personally. I love the new 7 series...don't get me wrong, but I don't think it exudes a more youthful appearance than the XJ at all.

I don't know of a car on the market that is as huge as the XJ, S, A8, 7 series, Flying Spur, Mulsanne, etc. that has a youthful feel about it, regardless of price. It's just not the target of that type of car. The CLS63 is great looking, and I think it will fit what you're looking for very nicely. Interior is missing some of the fit and finish of the XJ, 7 series, and some others, but it's crazy sporty in comparison.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a new XJL owner (1,000 miles) and compared the MB S, BMW 7, and Audi A8 before making my purchase decision. I also did a lot of research on the car forums for those models. I was initially put off on the XJL because of problem reports such as yours but then I saw the same type of reporting on the MB, BMW, and Audi forums. Also, I owned a XFSC that was absolutely trouble free. Other than maybe Lexus (boring) I believe all high-end luxury cars have some issues due to their complexity but they are wonderful to drive which is why we keep buying them. My other car is a MB and it has seen a fair number of frustrating problems. Anyway, I ended up trading in my XFSC on the XJL.

As for the styling I like the XJ better than the XJL but I needed the room. The 2012 MB CLS is stunning in photos but only 4 seats and I need 5. Also, the trunk is almost certainly smaller on the CLS. The XJL trunk is not huge but it is larger than the A8 and only slightly smaller than the MB S class. These cars emphasize interior space, not trunk space.

Mine is not supercharged but I thought it was overkill in my XFSC and was happy to save the money and go with the base engine. The feel and performance of the base engine is superb imo, better than MB & Audi. As for the performance in snow, any rear wheel drive sedan w/summer performance tires is going to be horrible. Put a set of winter tires/wheels on and it is a totally different story. I live in Michigan, I know! I don't really find it much of a hassle if the tires are mounted on wheels. I have not had a problem seeing the display.

As for it being an old man's car, well I guess all of these big luxury cars are. I am 50 so I guess I qualify other than the driving casually and jingling change in my pocket.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

[quote=kid delicious;350046]I wouldn't consider most of the negatives I've read on this site to be whining. If people didn't take the time to talk about some of the issues they have had, it would be a disservice. There is a great deal of information to be gained by hearing the experiences of others...good and bad.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate negative comments, especially if they lead to some positive suggestions. I frequent quite a few car and motorcycle forums and have gained a lot of useful information from them. It's just getting a little old to be constantly rehashing all of the issues from when the car was first introduced. It has been stated time and time again that all of these issues are correctable by a competant dealer. If someone cannot find a competant dealer in their area, they probably need to move on and quit grousing about it on this forum. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience

Well, my experience with the XJ SC could not be more positive. I have had no problems at all. The car is beautiful and I think it suits me well (I am in my mid 30's)

The CLS looks nice indeed, but I think the Jaguar just feels superior. Certainly, the Jaguar gets a lot more of attention. Compare it to the BMW then it is a joke. BMWs look all the same and you can see one in every corner, especially when you live in San Diego...

Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 PM

Just one more thing... In my opinion, the interior of the CLS looks pretty much the same as the series C... very plain and boring...

Old 05-14-2011, 11:37 PM

Now the car sounds like it's creaking from all over when I go slow over smooth dips, could it be the leather? It sounds like a boat.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by fambraz
Well, my experience with the XJ SC could not be more positive. I have had no problems at all. The car is beautiful and I think it suits me well (I am in my mid 30's)

The CLS looks nice indeed, but I think the Jaguar just feels superior. Certainly, the Jaguar gets a lot more of attention. Compare it to the BMW then it is a joke. BMWs look all the same and you can see one in every corner, especially when you live in San Diego...
Amen, brotha! I live where you are, and I absolutely attest to that. Seems like everyone and I mean, everyone drives a BMW here! XJs are a rarety I, and many other drivers appreciate when seeing.

What color is your car? If you drive in La Jolla or Pacific Beach a lot, I might have seen you

Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I live in Germany and here MB's, BMW's, Audi's, and Porsche's are the norm. So I get noticed everywhere I go. I am 40 but I think my car definitely targets a younger demographic. I have teenagers taking pictures of my car. But like someone said already these big luxury cars are not built for people in their 20's. Other than celebrities no one is typically at a financial stage to afford one of these at that age. But it definitely looks like a younger person's car more than a 7 series, A8 or a S class. As far as the winter conditions go if you are driving on summer performance tires in the snow you are asking for trouble. They are called summer performance for a reason. They are not meant to work in snow at ALL. Buy some all season or winter tires and you will see a big difference. Which is what you see when you drive your wife's car because I am sure her tires are probably all season. But all in all a good thorough report card.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

PWL - had I not read your username prior to reading the thread, I would have swore that I wrote that myself. I have had EVERY issue that you had, plus a few extras. If you haven't read any of my threads, you'd see that after almost 6 months (two of which were spent in the shop), I'm STILL fighting with Jaguar to replace my vehilce. It seems every issue you had, I had the same issue - less them replacing my vehicle.

I'm curious. Who did you talk to to get your car replaced? Your dealer? Service manager? A rep at Jaguar? Or did they do it on their own? I'd like to know, because I can't get anyone at Jag to lift a finger to get me in a vehicle that doesn't operate like a POS.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 PM

PWL,
Where are you from? The NJ area? If so with all the rain how is the roof popping? Is it worse? HOW is the roof popping now.

Last edited by jcamp; 05-20-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:02 AM

Alot of what you wrote is subjective so it will vary person to person. As to the snow issue if you were running on stock summer performance tires what were you expecting?

Summer tires are only effective down to about 45 degrees regardless of precipitation. Below 45 degrees the compound begins to harden and once below freezing they are a bit like hockey pucks. You will get no where with summer tires and RWD. A good set of snows will make winter driving manageable.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:58 AM

PWL,
How is the roof popping now?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd
Summer tires are only effective down to about 45 degrees regardless of precipitation. Below 45 degrees the compound begins to harden and once below freezing they are a bit like hockey pucks. You will get no where with summer tires and RWD. A good set of snows will make winter driving manageable.
Yeah, you gotta love morons who drive on summer tires in the snow, and then go off the side of the road and/or get stuck, blocking traffic for people who were smart enough to attempt to drive in snow with the proper equipment!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:20 PM
pwl

Morons, or people deceived by a car manufacturer who places a "winter mode" button in the car that smart guys like you know is useless. Which is it?

Quick Reply: 2011 XJ Report Card - One Year.