XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 XJ, Hit, Drivers Side Wheel Well

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 XJ, Hit, Drivers Side Wheel Well

Would love some feedback on this one....

I had my Jag at a repair shop to have new Continental, from Tire Rack, installed. While it was there, one of the shops technicians backed into the vehicle resulting in the damage described in the title. It goes down hill from there!

The car has been at a Jag certified body shop, going on two weeks. Allstate, the insured's carrier and the body shop are going back and forth about everything:

1. Hourly rate for them vs. other body shops
2. Whether car needs put on a jig because of frame damage
3. Whether or not a dent in the aluminum bar under the bar is part of the damage, or pre-existing (the bumper itself shows no damage).
4. Whether to put a new fender on the car vs. a used one

I would like opinions here:

1. Does it need to be a certified repair shop, Allstate says no
2. Does it need to be put on a jig, or are there other test that determine whether it needs put on a jig, Allstate says there is
3. The dent in front aluminum, regardless of when it happened, is barely noticeable and there is no mark on the bumper.

Gregg

Old 03-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

IMHO
1. a certified shop knows how to fix the Jaguar aluminum properly
2. I'd be calling my insurance company and saying please fix properly with OEM only parts and let them subrogate to Allstate

Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

When I was with Travelers insurance years ago, they were great for that. I took the car where I wanted and they worked it out. Great customer service.

Just stay away from Progressive, they were horrible.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

The bigger question I would be asking is whether the shop is certified in aluminum repair or not. The jag certification is a nice thing, but I would say is not required. Granted, it would help with resale if it was repaired by a jaguar certified place.

As for the dent under the body, I say it should be fixed, regardless if you can see it or not. There are people like me that will look over a car when I am buying a used car and if I see crinkled metal from an accident that has not been fixed, I drop that car like a hot potato unless the accident was not repaired at all. Having a fix done half way is telling me that it was done cheaply and was only done for cosmetic reasons.

Granted, you want to see them start jumping and skipping, start raising the question about additional payout due to loss of value from the car being involved in an accident. Then you can simply slide in the "I will drop this if you simply repair the car to XXX standard" (whatever XXX is that you want).