XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Seatbelt retractor - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:13 AM
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Seatbelt retractor - RESOLVED

hi guys, back again. Got my 2014 Jaguar XJ-L and she’s riding smooth after the last hiccup I had with a plastic coolant line. But now my drivers side front seatbelt is not retracting, at all. Never had this happen in my other jags. This one was weak from the moment I bought the car but now it seems to have just given up. I’ve read in the x308 forums that this could be due to a twisted belt within the b pillar. I’m eager to check it out but have no idea where to start to take it apart and take a look. Anyone ever have this happen or have an idea on how to approach removal? Thanks guys!

Last edited by GGG; 03-12-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Add 'RESOLVED' to thread title
Old 03-06-2018, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

I have experienced this with my driver side belt as well. It started off not retracting every couple of uses, then it would not retract at all.

After buying a new (used) belt to replace it and taking everything apart I found the problem was actually a build up of compacted dirt and fluff where the belt travels through the height adjuster. The black plastic bit that pivots side-to-side has a restriction moulded into it to wipe the belt as it moves though it. The dirt was the same stuff you get on the bottom of a computer mouse, and needed mechanical removal with a blade. I cleaned it all off, and wiped the belt down with alcohol, and the original belt now works flawlessly.

It is worth checking yours before removing the trims or replacing the belt.

If you do need to remove the belt it is easy to do (you will need torx bits and ideally a torx ratchet).
1) Seat fully forward and up
2) Unclip the plastic cover where the belt attaches to the seat base. I don't have it in front of me, but I recall it clips at the rear with metal tangs and hooks at the front, so try lifting from the rear until unclipped and then slide backwards.
3) Unbolt, noting the placement of the washers in case they separate.
4) Pull the door-shut weather trim off where it covers the upper and lower B pillar trims. It just lifts off. Front and back doors.
5) Look behind the upper trim to note where the clips are. Sharply pull away from the car top and bottom (try not to pull sideways to avoid breaking the clips).
6) Similar for the lower trim.
7) You should now see the torx screws and bolts to remove the slider/restrictor and the belt reel. It is a pita to remove the reel - put a few layers of tape over the metal cut out edges if you don't want to get blood everywhere.

You can do steps 4-5 to check if the belt is folded, but it is unlikely a folded belt would get through the restrictor.

The following 6 users liked this post by xdave:
etaent (03-06-2018), GGG (03-12-2018), hafren (03-06-2018), NilsW (08-20-2023), XJ8JR (03-12-2018), XJsss (03-12-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-06-2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
I have experienced this with my driver side belt as well. It started off not retracting every couple of uses, then it would not retract at all.

After buying a new (used) belt to replace it and taking everything apart I found the problem was actually a build up of compacted dirt and fluff where the belt travels through the height adjuster. The black plastic bit that pivots side-to-side has a restriction moulded into it to wipe the belt as it moves though it. The dirt was the same stuff you get on the bottom of a computer mouse, and needed mechanical removal with a blade. I cleaned it all off, and wiped the belt down with alcohol, and the original belt now works flawlessly.

It is worth checking yours before removing the trims or replacing the belt.

If you do need to remove the belt it is easy to do (you will need torx bits and ideally a torx ratchet).
1) Seat fully forward and up
2) Unclip the plastic cover where the belt attaches to the seat base. I don't have it in front of me, but I recall it clips at the rear with metal tangs and hooks at the front, so try lifting from the rear until unclipped and then slide backwards.
3) Unbolt, noting the placement of the washers in case they separate.
4) Pull the door-shut weather trim off where it covers the upper and lower B pillar trims. It just lifts off. Front and back doors.
5) Look behind the upper trim to note where the clips are. Sharply pull away from the car top and bottom (try not to pull sideways to avoid breaking the clips).
6) Similar for the lower trim.
7) You should now see the torx screws and bolts to remove the slider/restrictor and the belt reel. It is a pita to remove the reel - put a few layers of tape over the metal cut out edges if you don't want to get blood everywhere.

You can do steps 4-5 to check if the belt is folded, but it is unlikely a folded belt would get through the restrictor.
Thanks! I will check that and follow up! I am really hoping that is the problem as I dont really want to start taking trim apart if I dont have to!

Old 03-12-2018, 01:37 PM

Xdave, thank you. Your solution worked! The seat belt is just really dirty and bad about attracting dirt! Everything is working well now and Im so happy that I dont have to take anything apart! Thanks again!

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (09-18-2019)