XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 XJL in the shop!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2012 XJL in the shop!

While performing a front brake job on my wifes 2012 XJL I noticed the belly pan on the car had fresh oil on it so I decided to take it in to get that and the possible coolant leak looked at. I was informed today that the water pump and the oil pan were leaking and the engine needed to be removed to address the oil leak! An oil leak on a motor with under 30k on the clock seems insane to me! I am starting to think this car might be a bigger POS then my old 2004 Ford 6.0 "power-joke" which at least made it to 120k before the engine fell apart!

Old 12-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

1bad55chevy, I cannot say that I have heard of a lot of other people having the same issue. The coolant leak is somewhat of a common problem because of the questionable water pump. But, that should be an easy fix for the dealership. As for the oil leak, that is something very unusual. It will be curious to see what they say was the cause. if they are having to pull the engine, this is sounding like a bad head gasket to me. Most of the other stuff can be repaired with the engine still in the car.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
1bad55chevy, I cannot say that I have heard of a lot of other people having the same issue. The coolant leak is somewhat of a common problem because of the questionable water pump. But, that should be an easy fix for the dealership. As for the oil leak, that is something very unusual. It will be curious to see what they say was the cause. if they are having to pull the engine, this is sounding like a bad head gasket to me. Most of the other stuff can be repaired with the engine still in the car.
apparently if the upper oil pan is leaking the motor has to be pulled from the vehicle to be removed. The car has the lower oil pan leaking and the vacuum pump leaking oil, water pump leaking coolant, front upper ball joints shot, and leaking exhaust clamps letting excessive moisture in the system.. seems like a lot of nonsense for a car with under 30k on the clock!
hopefully this thing dosent turn into a massive money pit. We have an 03 lincoln ls v6 that my wife purchased new and now has 200k on the clock and has only had brake jobs, water pump,front wheel hubs, and coils done to it.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:00 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Sounds to me like normal teething problems for a car that's been sitting around for 7 years. Hopefully you won't have electrical problems from corrosion on the connectors. I've heard several people complain like you after buying an older car with low mileage. Like you they thought they should be able to just jump in it and drive since it's brand new. It's not brand new, it's seven years old, The gaskets have dried out, The tires have flat spotted, soon the belts will break loose under the rubber. When your talking an all aluminum engine the problem is even worse. Every car I've owned with a mix of cast iron and aluminum has blown the gaskets even when used. Usually around 100,000 miles or about 7 years or so. If it overheats it's worse. You've got seven years of corrosion in your engine has it plugged the radiator a little bit? The temp stays exactly in the middle of the gauge on mine when it reaches full temp. Does yours? Best thing to do is replace the fluids. Get everything flushed, the brakes, transmission, everything. The good thing is it doesn't have a reputation like an old Harley, leaving a puddle wherever you go no matter what you do. One last thing to expect is the air conditioning to go out soon, those gaskets have dried out as well. It's recommended to run the A/C every month to keep them moist, I doubt yours has been over the years. Sorry about the trouble your having.

P.S. if you want to see an oil leak, look at a Pratt&Whitney JT8 sometime. Everytime you open the cowl a quart will spill out all over you if your not careful. You never change oil on a jet engine they leak too bad. Just add fresh oil and go.

The following users liked this post:
Tervuren (12-20-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,269 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Yes the oil pan leak is a rare one please report back how the repair went if you can.
The water pump is pretty easy and a known problem.
What vacuum pump is leaking? Don't know of any on the KJ?

I also had a 2003 Lincoln LS V-8 Sport. Very good car but Lincoln never updated it and was just not competitive in it's class.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 493 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
..........I also had a 2003 Lincoln LS V-8 Sport. Very good car but Lincoln never updated it and was just not competitive in it's class.

We had a 2000 LS. Loved the car, and were disappointed when Lincoln discontinued the LS line. That's how we wound up with our '09 XF, as they're "cousins" under the skin. We traded the LS for the XF.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
I cannot say that I have heard of a lot of other people having the same issue..... As for the oil leak, that is something very unusual.
I had my front crankcase seal replaced at 45K miles and both of my valve cover gaskets replaced at 50K miles due to oil leaks. Luckily it wasn’t an engine out procedure for me, but I was equally baffled since I’d never had an oil leak in any car I’ve owned, let alone two from different areas of the engine within 4 months of each other.