XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Another Oil Spec Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 12:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen this. Honestly I don't buy it at all. A couple of reasons.

1. Castrol is a pretty crapy oil to be honest.
2. Modern oils don't build sluge, leave deposits and burn up like old oils.
3. I think that 925A was something that Jaguar created with Castrol to sell dealer oil. Thats it..

I could be wrong but I'm running a non castrol oil.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:30 PM

Did you read the attachment? I'm not trying to convince you of anything here just sharing some info I found. If the deal is willing to put in an oil that meets 945A, do you think it REALLY matters? Likely this is a marketing thing that forces you to get your oil change at the dealer.... The other oils I've see with 925A are weird off brand euro oils. I'm not going to trust that at all.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:31 PM

Yes, exactly. Feels really strange that they give a certification for two years...

Old 03-28-2019, 12:33 PM

That is exactly how I read it as well. It almost as if the two standards are interchangeable.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:36 PM

YUP, exactly man. Its up to everyone to decide. The fact that the dealer is running Pennzoil is pretty telling in my opinion though.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:55 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Funny that people are willing to put 945 spec in their car, which would be akin to running non Dexcool antifreeze in the radiator, or the incorrect diff or trans fluid? I would rather run a premium Euro brand that I KNOW meets spec than a familiar US brand that I know does not. How many are running the wrong oil with no adverse effects? Thousands? Hundreds? Tens? I have seen speculation that 945 somehow replaced 925, I again have to point out that 945 certification is given to dino/syn blends. 925 is not. At the end of the day, hey, whatever floats your boat. But you can do a complete oil change for $80.00 including the filter and correct oil.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Enosgl
Funny that people are willing to put 945 spec in their car, which would be akin to running non Dexcool antifreeze in the radiator, or the incorrect diff or trans fluid? I would rather run a premium Euro brand that I KNOW meets spec than a familiar US brand that I know does not. How many are running the wrong oil with no adverse effects? Thousands? Hundreds? Tens? I have seen speculation that 945 somehow replaced 925, I again have to point out that 945 certification is given to dino/syn blends. 925 is not. At the end of the day, hey, whatever floats your boat. But you can do a complete oil change for $80.00 including the filter and correct oil.
So how come the four bottles of Nulon full synthetic 5W-20 I have all say the same thing on the back of bottle: "Meets or exceeds the following oil industry specifications:
........Ford WSS M2C 945A....?
See here: https://www.nulon.com.au/products/fu...engine-oil.pdf
Are Nulon lying or cheating when they say that on the back of the bottle?
I would hazard a guess that right this minute tens of thousands of Jaguar (and Land Rover) owners are running the "wrong" 945A oil with zero ill effects.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:06 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but my point is that there are semi syn oils that meet 945 spec, too, so you cannot really say that 945 and 925 spec are the same. Those bottles DON'T say they meet or exceed 925. The spec sheet also says "Suitable for use in the following manufacturers: Chrysler Dodge Ford Honda". I'm not an automotive or lubricant engineer, but if an oil manufacturer says that it is for cars other than mine, and my CAR manufacturer says that it needs oil other than it, my logic tells me to look at a different product. Again, not trying to pick a fight with a fellow owner of an exquisite car, but for years there has been this debate of Castrol/non-Castrol, speculation that the 925 was somehow replaced by 945, etc. Every man has to decide for themselves what magical juice they pour into their crankcase. If I have brakes that require DOT 3, I don't put DOT 5 in it. They are different. That's all I am getting at. JUst because it is a gooey, golden liquid in a familiar brand does't make it the right stuff. And I have never seen ANYTHING aside from hearsay about 945 superceding 925.

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2019, 01:21 PM

It's up to everyone to decide what to run. If I was under factory warranty I would probably run what the dealer says. However, I have this feeling the deal isn't using the 925 spec. Based on other users saying the dealer filled with Pennzoil I think it's pretty telling. That right there tells me that there are thousands of Jags running the wrong spec oil. I think there are A LOT better oils than what Castrol that protect better. The trans, diff and radiator should follow normal standards as well. If Jag tells me to use a Jag branded gear oil you can bet I'll be finding an alternative.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but my point is that there are semi syn oils that meet 945 spec, too, so you cannot really say that 945 and 925 spec are the same. Those bottles DON'T say they meet or exceed 925. The spec sheet also says "Suitable for use in the following manufacturers: Chrysler Dodge Ford Honda". I'm not an automotive or lubricant engineer, but if an oil manufacturer says that it is for cars other than mine, and my CAR manufacturer says that it needs oil other than it, my logic tells me to look at a different product. Again, not trying to pick a fight with a fellow owner of an exquisite car, but for years there has been this debate of Castrol/non-Castrol, speculation that the 925 was somehow replaced by 945, etc. Every man has to decide for themselves what magical juice they pour into their crankcase. If I have brakes that require DOT 3, I don't put DOT 5 in it. They are different. That's all I am getting at. JUst because it is a gooey, golden liquid in a familiar brand does't make it the right stuff. And I have never seen ANYTHING aside from hearsay about 945 superceding 925.
Forgot - I had an indie do the three year warranty service on the F-Type as well, but I supplied the oil and filter - Nulon 945A.

Good luck!
Looks like we will have to agree to differ.
What I didn't explain is that 925A oil let alone the Castrol brew really is Unobtainium here in Oz, you simply cannot buy it anywhere other than to import it and pay a fortune for shipping (on top of the exorbitant cost of the oil itself, around three times the price of what I pay for Nulon 945A). You can't even get it from a JLR dealership as they refuse to sell it unless it's part of an oil change that they do (and of course they charge a fortune for the pleasure). I have NEVER used a JLR dealership for a service or oil change, not even under warranty, and I never will. Not just because of the ridiculous prices they charge but because in my little backwater of Adelaide there is one, count 'em one JLR dealership in the entire place and the next closest is over 700 km away, and the local dealership has usually treated me with contempt.
Another funny thing - the only oil change that I have ever had anyone else do on any of my Jags was the two year service on the F-Type (so still under warranty and the sole reason I didn't do it myself) done by an accredited independent Jag workshop, and they used 945A! Castrol Edge yes, but not the special Unobtainium 925A.
Also I forgot that I got the last warranty service (three year) done at an indie workshop but I supplied the oil and filter - Nulon 945A.

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-29-2019 at 06:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
jon-izumi (09-26-2020), madman1133 (03-31-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

I am going to chime in on this and I think I might be able to clear up a few things as it seems to have made sense to me. Yes, WSS-M2C945-A oils DO NOT meet WSS-M2C925-A requirements. But, it would appear that the only requirement that the WSS-M2C945-A oils do not meet is the length/mileage requirement. The other factors it does. So, if you go with a shorter interval for oil changes, using my logic, all should be good. I cannot in good faith trust a motor oil for 15K miles. It just goes against everything that I ever was taught about oils. Yes, they have gotten better over the years. But, that is a long ways to go on a single batch of oil.

As for what that shorter time/length interval is, I cannot say that I have seen a number advertised (or atleast paid attention to). I do oil changes every 7500 miles. maybe it costs me a little more in the long run, but I have peace of mind in my way of thinking. So far all is looking good and I can't say that I have seen anything negative in looking at the oil. Granted, the look of an oil is a very small part of the overall condition of the oil. But, if you are that worried, you can ship a small vial of the oil off to a lab and they will analyze the oil and tell you exactly how the oil stood up. It seem to recall that this service only costs like $20 an oil sample and if you routinely send them samples, they will also track your oil over time and tell you the amount of metals in the oil and potential problems that are coming up.

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (04-06-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
I am going to chime in on this and I think I might be able to clear up a few things as it seems to have made sense to me. Yes, WSS-M2C945-A oils DO NOT meet WSS-M2C925-A requirements. But, it would appear that the only requirement that the WSS-M2C945-A oils do not meet is the length/mileage requirement. The other factors it does. So, if you go with a shorter interval for oil changes, using my logic, all should be good. I cannot in good faith trust a motor oil for 15K miles. It just goes against everything that I ever was taught about oils. Yes, they have gotten better over the years. But, that is a long ways to go on a single batch of oil.

As for what that shorter time/length interval is, I cannot say that I have seen a number advertised (or atleast paid attention to). I do oil changes every 7500 miles. maybe it costs me a little more in the long run, but I have peace of mind in my way of thinking. So far all is looking good and I can't say that I have seen anything negative in looking at the oil. Granted, the look of an oil is a very small part of the overall condition of the oil. But, if you are that worried, you can ship a small vial of the oil off to a lab and they will analyze the oil and tell you exactly how the oil stood up. It seem to recall that this service only costs like $20 an oil sample and if you routinely send them samples, they will also track your oil over time and tell you the amount of metals in the oil and potential problems that are coming up.
Agreed, the 925A spec when it came out was largely about extended life, to match the JLR recommended oil change interval of 16,000 miles / 26,000 km or 12 months whichever came first.
But I change the oil on the F-Type every six months which turns out to be around 3,000 miles / 4,500 km based on my average mileage over the last 2.6 years.
The main reason I do that is because 90% of my driving is very short trips, 1 or 2 km, which is bad for the oil. I also have all the time in the world to change the oil or otherwise work on the car, and I understand how some owners are time poor and/or prefer not to get their hands dirty and prefer 12 month oil changes using 925A.
I have used nothing but 945A spec in the F-Type and for the last 15 months it has been fairly highly tuned (450 bhp vs 375 bhp stock), I don't baby it, and I have not had a single engine problem yet, it runs sweet as a nut.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil specs seem to be a little confusing. I had the service for my 2012 XJ 3.0 SC done on Friday by an official Jaguar dealer. They used Castrol Professional E 0W-20.
The Former owner also went to an official Jaguar dealer that used Castrol Edge Professional C1 5W-30.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dr.snooze
Oil specs seem to be a little confusing. I had the service for my 2012 XJ 3.0 SC done on Friday by an official Jaguar dealer. They used Castrol Professional E 0W-20.
The Former owner also went to an official Jaguar dealer that used Castrol Edge Professional C1 5W-30.

The C1 is for diesel engines and should not be used in a petrol engine and conversely the E is for petrol engines and should not be used in a diesel engine.