XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Brake Light Only lighting up When Brake is Pressed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Light Only lighting up When Brake is Pressed

Good Afternoon All,
I have a bit of a small issue or at least I hope. My brake light, when I go to brake, works just fine, as if nothing is wrong with it. However when the lights are currently turned on, the only part of the light that does not work is the actual red light (LED) in the middle of the light, the little light at the top works fine, as does the turn feature...even the rear fog lights work...

Anyone know what this could be. I read it could possibly the relay... are we talking about the fuse box in the middle of the back seat or in the truck on the passenger side.

Also, if the passenger side in the truck where the battery is located I dont currently see a fuse #15

Please advise...Thanks in advance.

Old 12-06-2023, 05:28 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats a very confusing title 😆

Old 12-09-2023, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,186 Likes on 898 Posts

Is he talking about the brake light or a tail light?

Old 12-10-2023, 08:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,838 Likes on 3,156 Posts

Martez, I think we are all a little bit confused as to what you are trying to get across. So, answer a few questions and I think we will get a better understanding of what you need.

So first, with the light switch in OFF, when you step on the brake pedal, do you get both sides to light up bright red?
If you put the turn signal switch in either direction, the associated light turns on and off like a turn signal should?
With the light switch in the next position down (parking lights only), do you get a dimmer red light on each side that would light the same area as the brake lights?
If you step on the brake pedal, do the lights go from the dimmer state to the bright state?
If you have your foot on the brakes and put on the turn signal, does the appropriate side go from a bright red light to a dimmer red light, flashing back and forth?
Move the headlight switch one further position to turn on the headlights.do you get a dimmer red light on each side that would light the same area as the brake lights?
If you step on the brake pedal, do the lights go from the dimmer state to the bright state?
If you have your foot on the brakes and put on the turn signal, does the appropriate side go from a bright red light to a dimmer red light, flashing back and forth?

Answer these questions and lets see what you have at that point. You may need to back the car up to near a wall so you can look in the mirrors and see what is going on or you will need a second person to assist.