XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Couple of XJ questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple of XJ questions

Looking at the XJ/XJL with the standard engine package. A few questions I'd like to ask current owners to get an idea on some things that I can't seem to find answers on.

Navigation -
Can you use it while the car is moving? My current car (MB) can, and my wife car (Lexus) is MADDENING, you have to be a complete stop to use just about any function at all; when we are riding together I can't use the Nav at all until she totally stops the car. If there's anyone here that can compare COMAND (circa 2007) to the Jag, I'd appreciate that as well (is it better/worse, faster/slower, etc). COMAND is nothing like the interface in our Lexus; the Lexus navi is incredible (too bad the car is about as exciting to drive/look at as a broken down tricycle).

Radio -
Can the in dash player read CDs/DVDs with MP3 files on them (NOT audio CDs from MP3s, but actually CDs with MP3s burned on them).
Can the USB port read a thumb drive with MP3s on it?
Does it understand folders and let you select between different folders?

Problems -
I see a lot of "popping sunroof" problems. Is there anything that I can ask the dealer for/about to try to prevent this issue (a specific update, or a VIN number over a certain number that fixes this)?

XJ vs XJL -
My dealer has an XJL that he's really trying to put me in. I'm usually alone in the car, so I don't really need the bigger vehicle, but, other than the "wasted space" is there any particular reason to steer clear of the XJL in favor of the XJ?

Finally, if we're allowed to discuss, I'd love to see some "prices paid" for leases on the XJ/XJL. If we're not permitted to discuss, please just disregard this request.

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RippedPuma
Looking at the XJ/XJL with the standard engine package. A few questions I'd like to ask current owners to get an idea on some things that I can't seem to find answers on.

Navigation -
Can you use it while the car is moving? My current car (MB) can, and my wife car (Lexus) is MADDENING, you have to be a complete stop to use just about any function at all; when we are riding together I can't use the Nav at all until she totally stops the car. If there's anyone here that can compare COMAND (circa 2007) to the Jag, I'd appreciate that as well (is it better/worse, faster/slower, etc). COMAND is nothing like the interface in our Lexus; the Lexus navi is incredible (too bad the car is about as exciting to drive/look at as a broken down tricycle).

Radio -
Can the in dash player read CDs/DVDs with MP3 files on them (NOT audio CDs from MP3s, but actually CDs with MP3s burned on them).
Can the USB port read a thumb drive with MP3s on it?
Does it understand folders and let you select between different folders?

Problems -
I see a lot of "popping sunroof" problems. Is there anything that I can ask the dealer for/about to try to prevent this issue (a specific update, or a VIN number over a certain number that fixes this)?

XJ vs XJL -
My dealer has an XJL that he's really trying to put me in. I'm usually alone in the car, so I don't really need the bigger vehicle, but, other than the "wasted space" is there any particular reason to steer clear of the XJL in favor of the XJ?

Finally, if we're allowed to discuss, I'd love to see some "prices paid" for leases on the XJ/XJL. If we're not permitted to discuss, please just disregard this request.

Thanks!
I will try to help you out.
Navigation-I will leave that to someone that can use theirs. I have a US Spec car but I am in Germany and it has US maps so its basically unusable.

Radio-I know it will play MP3 on a usb and from other post I believe it will play from a CD/DVD as will but it wont allow you to upload to the hard drive.

Roof popping-Just make sure your dealer and techs are knowledgable of the issue and know how to properly fix it. I am not sure if it has been resolved in the 2012 model.

XJ/XJL-The price. Other than that you lose the space. Some interior color options and the picnic table on the back of the front seats. You may also get lower grade options. Like I think the XJ comes with 16 way seats while the XJL comes with 20 way. I just check the brochure and that is indeed correct.

Price-I didnt lease so I can't help you there.

Attached Thumbnails Couple of XJ questions-jaguar.jpg  

Last edited by ExpatJag; 07-20-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:35 AM

I would greatly appreciate if someone tells me how to delete a post.

Last edited by ExpatJag; 07-20-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Ok, I just read the rules, and it doesn't look like we're barred from discussing the costs/purchase price in this forum. If I missed it, please delete this post and feel free to give me a verbal lashing.

Here are the lease offers that I currently have from a local dealer:

XJ - 42 months, 12K miles, 0 down; 1141.48/mo (44% residual, .00090 MF)
XJL - 42 months, 12K miles, 0 down, 1224.44/mo (43% residual, .00083MF)

The residuals (compared to what I've seen elsewhere) look low on these. And this is based on the price the dealer would like to get for these cars (no negotiating yet). But, in general, please let me know what you guys think.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

You can use the Navigation while driving.
I bought my XJL so I can't help you on the lease.
If you can afford the additional $83/month which I'm sure you can the XJL is worth it. The extra room is well worth it even if you don't think you need it. While the trunk can be snug there's plenty of room in the back seat and floor of XJL for anything that won't fit.
Also since the XJ navigation is software based you won't have to buy a $250 DVD every year to upgrade the maps like you do with MB. I traded one in for the Jag...

Old 07-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

To the OP: There is an override little device that can be installed on the LS460 that will unlock the navigation system not only to input commands while driving but also to watch DVDs. I have it and it's awesome.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I would greatly appreciate if someone tells me how to delete a post.
Regular members can't delete but edit their posts .
Thanks

Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 AM

That's good to know, I might have to look into that; I can't stand driving around in the RX and not having the ability to use navigation, it's maddening.

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
To the OP: There is an override little device that can be installed on the LS460 that will unlock the navigation system not only to input commands while driving but also to watch DVDs. I have it and it's awesome.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Huh. I just took out an XJL and, like the Lexus, as soon as I was rolling, the Navi stopped accepting address entries. Did the car know I was the only one in the car (and therefore shouldn't be using the navi)? Or is there an option somewhere to allow navi use while driving?

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
You can use the Navigation while driving.
I bought my XJL so I can't help you on the lease.
If you can afford the additional $83/month which I'm sure you can the XJL is worth it. The extra room is well worth it even if you don't think you need it. While the trunk can be snug there's plenty of room in the back seat and floor of XJL for anything that won't fit.
Also since the XJ navigation is software based you won't have to buy a $250 DVD every year to upgrade the maps like you do with MB. I traded one in for the Jag...

Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM

I've never noticed that because I always use the Voice Activation to enter the address. It works great and no typing while driving.......

Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by RegentV12
Regular members can't delete but edit their posts .
Thanks
Whats a non regular member? Moderator?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
I've never noticed that because I always use the Voice Activation to enter the address. It works great and no typing while driving.......
You can only use the nav system via the voice commands while rolling.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:06 PM

I just had to run up to the store so I tried using the Nav while moving. I was able to type in the address while moving although I would still recommend the Voice option. It is much easier and safer to use the Voice for almost everything. I have never had one problem with it.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife has frequently entered address details into the navigation screen while I was driving with the car in motion. Personally, I would not dare take a chance doing that through the navigation screen while in motion myself.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Whats a non regular member? Moderator?
Only admins / mods can be capable of deleting messages / threads
Thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 AM

Huh. When I drove the car yesterday, I found that I was unable to enter anything while driving into the Nav system.

Can anyone help explain the discrepancy (why some seem to be able to, and others not)? Is there a setting somewhere that controls this behavior?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the Nav is disabled at higher speeds. Not sure what the cut off point is.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Or maybe it recognizes weight in the passenger seat like they airbag safety thing some cars have.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 AM

That's what I'm thinking/hoping. I'm going to go drive the car again and see if that is indeed the case. I can't stand the nanny features on the Lexus, I hope that Jag isn't following them down that "make it so safe that's is about as fun as a tricycle to drive" road.

Or maybe it recognizes weight in the passenger seat like they airbag safety thing some cars have.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM

Again, I drove to the store yesterday by myself and was able to type in the address. Isn't a sales person that knows how to work it with you when you test drive?

Quick Reply: Couple of XJ questions