XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Dual-View Screen & Setting Home Location on Nav

Old 12-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dual-View Screen & Setting Home Location on Nav

Just visited the Jag dealer in Virginia because I couldn't figure out a couple of things. Found out that dual-view on the front nav screen was not put on U.S. cars. Thought maybe it was just a software thing, but it's not...it's hardware and software. Major bummer, and a bit perplexing considering BMW does have this feature on U.S. cars. The other issue is setting a Home location in the Nav. Does anyone know a way to do this without plugging in coordinates? i.e. I just want to go into the nav, be in a certain spot, and then save that spot and name it. Most other vehicles have this feature.

Thoughts?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kid delicious
Just visited the Jag dealer in Virginia because I couldn't figure out a couple of things. Found out that dual-view on the front nav screen was not put on U.S. cars. Thought maybe it was just a software thing, but it's not...it's hardware and software. Major bummer, and a bit perplexing considering BMW does have this feature on U.S. cars. The other issue is setting a Home location in the Nav. Does anyone know a way to do this without plugging in coordinates? i.e. I just want to go into the nav, be in a certain spot, and then save that spot and name it. Most other vehicles have this feature.

Thoughts?
I was able to park in my garage and tell the nav system to make that location my "home". Don't remember exactly how I did this, but it is possible. Not sure this can be done for any location other than "home" like I can do on a Garmin nav I have for my motorcycle--on that unit I can save any location I am currently at and name it.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:59 PM

C'mon HTJ...come up with the goods!! I'll play around and see if I can do it.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Okay, you shamed me into it.

Press "nav menu" on map screen
Press "stored location"
Press "home location"
Press "add"
Press "pick from map"
Press "ok"

Looks like you can also use this to store any current location by going to "pick from map" when you are entering a destination.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:28 PM

Worked great, thanks!!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Found out that dual-view on the front nav screen was not put on U.S. cars.
Whaaaaat?... That's dumb. The question is WHYYYYYYYYY.... And why did they sold this as a feature here? I guess that's what we get by being in a sue-happy country I guess huh... Sorry for bringing up the LS460 again, but I had the same issue in this car with the DVD player being blocked when the car is in motion. Guess what, someone came up with a piece of hardware that overrides this and I installed it in my car - now I can watch any DVD with 7.1 sound whenever I want, and so can the other occupants in the car.

Someone will come up (I hope) with something like that for the Jag.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:37 PM

I'm just wondering if it's a hardware or software issue. I can't seem to get a firm answer. Very frustrating...especially since it's advertised on the north America jag site.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Question

Sorry, to sound stupid. But what do you guys mean by dual view? Like having 2 different screen areas in one screen? 1 showing map the other directionals or something like that? (Thats what I had have in my Mercedes previosly BMW). We don't have that? I never noticed. But I never really used my Navi a lot yet.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:46 PM

No, it's like a hologram. The full screen is seen differently depending on where you are viewing it from. From the drivers side you may see the navigation screen, and from the passenger seat you could be watching a movie. It's not split screen...it's dual view. Think of those stickers when you were a kid where the image would change when you moved it around.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I am in Germany where dualview is allowed but still not offered in US Spec XJ's but I have driven the German version and played with it. Plus there are tons of videos of it either at InteractiveJaguar.com or on youtube. Basically the even numbered pixel are angled at the driver and the odd numbered pixels are aims at the passenger which allows for two different things being displayed at the same time on the same monitor. The problem in the US is that the NHTSA I think thats the abbreviation says that you can not have a monitor in the dash that allows for the playing of entertainment while the car is in motion. Now if you go to the Mercedes Benz website you can build an S class with their version called splitview and shows a little demo of it. It's the coolest thing in the world and I am still battling with Jaguar to try and get it put in my US Spec car. Whats weird is MB's website says they will install it but not in certain states. But the word from Jaguar UK is that they are just not installing it in the US for now.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...illegal-in-u-s

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/09/j...cally-illegal/

Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

No, it's like a hologram. The full screen is seen differently depending on where you are viewing it from. From the drivers side you may see the navigation screen, and from the passenger seat you could be watching a movie. It's not split screen...it's dual view. Think of those stickers when you were a kid where the image would change when you moved it around.
kid delicious thanks for the info. Wow, that sounds pretty cool. I'd love that. That's all done software side?
I guess as I found with so many imports lately, lots of cools stuff is not available in the US spec cars. Same with my CLS63. As such a lawsuit happy country on top of NHTSA rules which does say entertainment is illegal on front montitor (which makes SOME sense, yet I feel much more endangered by texting drivers, not the monitors)
we simply won't get this stuff.
In my CLS I was able to put an interface between headunit and LCD screen and feed video and rear camera through that. Worked great. But required to physically take headunit out, open it up, insert a circuit board. No problem if you are experienced on those things. But not for the occassional amateur.
Reason for that hack was, that nobody was able to do a software hack, and if so, you can't install install it, as even original MB equipment was locked to prevent such isntallations by their own techs. And they would have refused anyways at the dealers level.
I hope to see somebody coming out with some aftermarket improvements in time. But its a bit early.
I really do wish I could tie into the software and play with it myself. But I wouldn't even now where to start. Last I was able to handle software side was my 2002 BMW X5. Now they got so complicated with all their fiber optics and stuff.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

It's called a parallax barrier/parallax screen. Like a hologram that allows you to see different sides of a 2d piece of paper with multiple images on it, it's the same thing. Some companies like Nintendo use them on their game consoles to allow a simulated 3d experience. Some of the newer television companies are testing parallax displays so you can view 3D content without the glasses.

As per the "not being able to operate functions while driving". This is an easy fix in older cars, but a little more complicated in late model vehicles. For instance. In a Mustang or Corvette from late 90's early 00's, you could simply connect certain wires to a part of the parking brake which would trick it into thinking your car was stationary.

More advanced cars are a lot more tricky, but even still, they make modules for certain cars (Escalade, Lexus, MB) that you can plug into a wiring harness in the glove compartment which again will trick the car into thinking your stopped. At that point, you can actually add 2 video inputs for whatever you like as well as video out in the event you put in TV's in the rear for children.

The modules are typically around $350 depending on which features you want, but I'm sure it'll be available more sooner than later if not already.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 AM

I am pretty sure when you do that you void something. Plus I want dualview.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM

I spoke to the product manager for the Jaguar XJ North America today...what an awesome job he's got. Was very nice to talk to the right person...this guy knows everything there is to know about it, and can actually utilize the feedback. We had a long talk about a number of issues, and he confirmed that the dual-view is BOTH a hardware and software issue. There is an additional cost to get the dual-view monitor, and it may or may not get approval in the states. It sounded like he was optimistic, and they do have people lobbying for the ability to implement it here. The issue is really one of misinformation, and the rules applying to old technology. My guess is that dual-view will be available within the next year.

He did mention though that the screen resolution on the dual-view screen is not as good as the head units that we have. That is, obviously, because the dual-view concept splits the pixels, where the right and left basically each get to view half of the available pixels. So you do sacrifice resolution for that feature. For me, the coolness factor is less important than screen resolution, so I'm actually happy that it wasn't available. The resolution isn't spectacular to begin with...must be awfully grainy on dual-view.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:44 PM

I spoke to the product manager for the Jaguar XJ North America today...what an awesome job he's got. Was very nice to talk to the right person...this guy knows everything there is to know about it, and can actually utilize the feedback. We had a long talk about a number of issues, and he confirmed that the dual-view is BOTH a hardware and software issue. There is an additional cost to get the dual-view monitor, and it may or may not get approval in the states. It sounded like he was optimistic, and they do have people lobbying for the ability to implement it here. The issue is really one of misinformation, and the rules applying to old technology. My guess is that dual-view will be available within the next year.

He did mention though that the screen resolution on the dual-view screen is not as good as the head units that we have. That is, obviously, because the dual-view concept splits the pixels, where the right and left basically each get to view half of the available pixels. So you do sacrifice resolution for that feature. For me, the coolness factor is less important than screen resolution, so I'm actually happy that it wasn't available. The resolution isn't spectacular to begin with...must be awfully grainy on dual-view.
I am not sure what the regular resolution is but I have physically seen the dualview screen and it didn't look grainy at all. The European version has Digital TV so I watched that and looked at the Sat Nav and the picture looked good.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

It's just a plug in module. You aren't changing the wiring system. It'd be the equivialent of putting in an aftermarket CD player or video unit.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Kid,

What did the Jag NA guy had to say about all the other issues that are making this car not sell as good as it could?