XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Front License Plate Bracket

Anyone with suggestions or links on the best bracket on the XJ (black 2011 XJ SC) for a front license plate. Might be able to get by without in Texas, but does violate the law and no reason to give the blue-boys a reason to stop you.

Thanks

Tom in Dallas/Plano

Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
The following users liked this post:
jazzwineman (09-05-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Here's my install from another forum....

Just wrecked my Jaguar!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tow hook bracket

I recommend rhoplate.com. You will need the long extender to clear the parking sensors. I have one on my XJ and I had one on my XFR. It does the job and no holes to drill.

jazzwineman (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mullisrd
I recommend rhoplate.com. You will need the long extender to clear the parking sensors. I have one on my XJ and I had one on my XFR. It does the job and no holes to drill.
This is what I have as well uses the tow hook.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just attached the basic mount (C2D42907) to the bumper without drilling holes. The total cost is negligible, and it is totally removable.

This is what I did.
  1. Use a fishing line to tire the mount to the upper front grill and lower front grill. One loop on each side. Tighten the loop as much as you can.
  2. Use a copper wire to pull the fish line loops inwards. Twist the copper wire until things are quite firm.
  3. Additionally, put some glue in the knots to prevent them from loosening up.

The result is shown in the pictures. It is dark and raining outside, so the fishing line is very shining under the flash, but I believe it is almost invisible in normal lighting. And it is only visible for about 1 inch.

Some extra thoughts
  • I used 8# fishing line, so I double the loop. That is a total of 4 strings through the holes and can sustain 32 pound of tension force. More than enough I believe to even straighten up the distortion in the plastic mount.
  • Put the fishing line around the grill without engine bay access is the most time consuming task. One way is to tire the fishing line on a copper wire and use the wire as a guide.
  • When tighten by twisting the copper wire, do it on multiple places to avoid big knot.
  • Use some soft pads on the back and the edges of the mount to increase friction and protect the paint.
  • Paint the mount in the color you prefer.

Frontal View

String attached

Old 09-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't get why there is a problem to put this on correctly (drilling). If the Jag was purchased in a state with a front tag requirement, it would have been installed. Once the plate/frame is on the car for any length of time it will create scratches around the frame anyway which will look worse than the frame itself if removed. This will be worse if it is not installed correctly like the fishing line idea.

jazzwineman (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGate
I don't get why there is a problem to put this on correctly (drilling). If the Jag was purchased in a state with a front tag requirement, it would have been installed. Once the plate/frame is on the car for any length of time it will create scratches around the frame anyway which will look worse than the frame itself if removed. This will be worse if it is not installed correctly like the fishing line idea.
I am just obsessed with the idea of "cheap" and "removable". Please don't take me as an example if you are not happy with it.

I am in Washington state and I believe the front plate is required. However I got the car without holes on the front, likely from another state. And I have been driving without a front plate for half a year now and never stopped by the police. Actually, my previous car did not have a front plate either and I have driven it for 4 years with no problem.

I put this on because I am planning a trip to Canada. When that is done, I may just remove it.

jazzwineman (09-20-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Okay, now I'm confused. If the state of Washington requires a front plate it seems that would be enforceable only as a state law; one which you have ignored successfully for 4 1/2 years without incident. Why are you concerned about an upcoming trip to Canada? Why would the Canadians be concerned with your disobedience of a law in your home state in the U.S.?

Dwayne

P.S. - If you're obsessed with cheap, you have purchased the wrong car.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

Maybe the concern is coming back into the US at a Washington State border from Canada and that the vehicle is "legal"

Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

I guess that makes sense, but I honestly don't understand people who go out of their way to buck the system.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by dga57
I guess that makes sense, but I honestly don't understand people who go out of their way to buck the system.
This is America, bucking the system is what we do and why we got rid of the Brits to begin with.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

But you bought a British car. So who wins?

Old 09-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
But you bought a British car. So who wins?
Love their cars, just don't want them running the place.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MV Rider
I'll go along with that!

Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by MV Rider
The only problem with that is, every President has been a descendant of King John. Except for Trump. He's not a cousin.
I guess he crashed the party and the bouncers just can't get rid of him.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Rhomanski LOL. king John take a trip to Africa during his reign?

Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

No, don't think so, but remember, Obama's mother was a descendant of King John. So he is too.
I also forgot one other, Martin Van Buren he wasn't descended from King John.

The US Presidents who descend from King John of England ? and why you probably do too | Abroad in the Yard

One could wonder if perhaps the bankers crashed the economy on us as punishment for electing a non descendant. Either that or the politicians are complicit in everyone of the crashes. It's always the same reason, somebody takes their pin and bursts the peoples bubbles.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the...tin-van-buren/

The worrisome thing is some analysts claim we are in the biggest bubble ever with derivitives.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:33 AM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Front Lic. Plate Bracket

The Sto & Sho bracket solved the mounting problem the best. I didn't want the ugly license plate up high and distracting from the esthetics of a good looking front end. It mounts low with existing screws already on the car and stands off about 3/4". It's sturdy, aluminum and won't rust. You can remove it for looks or to wash the car behind it by simply pulling the spring loaded pin. If you're concerned with security, the pin assembly is easily traded for a set screw. Lastly, no drilling holes in that beautiful front.