XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Front side windows (R & L) malfunction.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front side windows (R & L) malfunction.

Hallo you all,
in my 2011 XJ I have an issue with front side windows (both sides).
When you try to close the windows starts but after 10/15 cm stop and go down.
I I retry sometimes it closes sometimes I have to do it several times.
The problem (I suppose) is in the anti-pinching system (I do not know if the name is correct)...
I try to lube the gasket and the trimming around the window but nothing changes.
I also ask to a body repair shop to unmount the glass, clean everything and remount but it doesn't solve.
I try the calibration sequence but doesn't work.
It works only when I close all windows with remote control (pressing close button for long time) so in this case the safety system doesn't work?

I suppose that there is a wire connection to do this security system, please can you provide to me a way to cut out the system?
Jaguar official garage ask me more than 600€ only to open door panels and see where is the problem, they say that they have never seen this issue on other cars, only on mine.

Please give me a wiring diagram and please tell me which wires have to be cut or jumped.
Thanks a lot.

Sandro

Old 11-21-2018, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

The window position is measured via a hall effect sensor in the regulator/motor which is monitored to detect resistance to movement and trigger a slight retract. As you mention the windows retract slightly after stopping then it does appear the anti trap feature is being triggered here.

Your symptom (10cm at a time then stopping and retracting slightly whether one-touch or switch held closing) and only closing when the remote fob close button is held in for a global close is exactly the symptom I have had with a rear window on my X351 of a similar age. It was a failure in the regulator motor - one of the sensors inside it was reporting erratically when checked with a scope.

The anti trap feature logic is controlled by the door modules (one in each door). They have a permanent connection to the vehicle battery to store their memory. You mention you have recalibrated the windows which consists of disconnecting the battery for 2 mins and then running the calibration sequence, so it probably isn't just a calibration issue. (I'll repeat the sequence below for completeness.)

1. Start the engine.

2. Operate the window control switch until the door window glass is in the fully closed position, continue to operate the window control switch for a further two seconds. (You will hear a little click.)

3. Release the window control switch.

4. Operate the window control switch in the closed position and continue to operate the window control switch for a further two seconds. (You will hear a little click again.)

5. Operate the window control switch until the door window glass is in the fully open position (one-touch down).

Technically you can reset that at any time (you don't need to remove the battery voltage) but if you cannot close them in one go while holding the door-mounted switch then it won't work.

The JLR diagnostics then say to one-touch open and close the tested window 20 times in succession (it may thermally cut out, so you may need to wait 30 seconds then try again). If it still fails after that you are directed to replace the window regulator/motor. If that still fails then check the switch packs and then finally replace the door modules.

As both front windows are affected it would be very bad luck for both regulators to fail at the same time, but as you have had the window glass remounted it should be square in the clips, and you have checked the seals are aligned so there is not much more to check.

Each door module has its own fuse, and without power none of the window functions would work so it is unlikely to be that. It could be a local wiring fault in each door (corrosion) but to affect both simultaneously seems unlikely.

You cannot just cut or splice the sensor wires as the door module would detect a fault and your symptom would be unchanged. I've attached the schematic for reference.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X351-2011-Front windows.pdf (55.4 KB, 92 views)
Old 11-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Dave,
thanks a lot for you long explanation, I appreciate il...
Just three more questions:
1) Do you have the part number for the motors left and right that I should replace and a preliminary cost each?
2) May I remove that back ones (that work fine) and put the front back and the back front?
3) May I find them used?

Old 11-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

The fronts and rears are different. Current (superseded) part no for the left front is C2D31416, and right front is C2D31415. £160 and £175 respectively.
You can buy used (I did). eBay or a breaker will normally have a selection to choose from, and they are not particularly hard to replace on the XJ. Parts from any yeah X351 will fit, although the newer ones will have the latest revisions.
I can provide fitting instructions if needed.