XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Front Upper control arm rubber boot

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 08:57 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Front Upper control arm rubber boot

Hi all, wondering if anyone has managed to replace the rubber end boot on the upper control arms, my bushings are in exc condition as car has only done 71000kms but the rubber boot has cracked and split falling apart, i just do not see the sense in replacing the entire control arm if its just the rubber boot that has cracked.
There is no play in my front control arms and all bushings are in great shape, just the rubber boots are terrible in both the rear and front suspension.

Can these boots be replaced? instead of paying stupid money for an entire control link? specific to part number 3 in the below diagram, i am sure others have seen the same issue, mine cannot be the only one.

Last edited by Lightspeed; 12-01-2022 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spellbound
Old 12-02-2022, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Here's a website of a UK supplier. The "more info" button takes you to a listing of fitments on various makes and models of car
https://www.balljointboots.co.uk/index.html
There may be US suppliers as well,

The following users liked this post:
Lightspeed (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 06:42 AM

@Fraser Mitchell , thankyou so much for that link, i thought i would be looking forever and a day, that link you provided made it so easy, purchased all boot for front and rear boot linkage ends. Even better was the postage price for international Royal Mail, awesome mate!!!

Kind Regards
B.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:39 AM

well........... that sucks, i paid and just over 1 hr later my payment from paypal was refunded in full by RIKFIT.

uuuggghhhh.

Emailed the business, wow grumpy, the dude really needs to see some sunlight and is seriously lacking in Vitamin D l, i asked as to why the transaction was refunded with no explanation, and was told there was postage strikes in the UK and that it was the busiest time of year and he was not happy sending the items,( Jeez they are rubber boots not gold bars) seems strange for an internet business i thought, then he stated he would send it if i paid an extra 20GBP???? for 22 GBP in parts total and 4GBP postage. Wow..

SNG Barrat UK did not have any issue processing both of the orders from the UK i ordered this week and was mailed out within 2 days, they mentioned nothing about postal strikes.

TGIF!!!!!!

Last edited by Lightspeed; 12-02-2022 at 08:16 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-02-2022, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,947 Posts

See if you can find a US-based supplier. I can confirm our country seems on t he verge of another decade of madness like the 70s. Postal strikes are taking place even though the Royal Mail staff are far better paid than those in the private couriers. Can you give me a link to the boots you chose, please.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
See if you can find a US-based supplier. I can confirm our country seems on t he verge of another decade of madness like the 70s. Postal strikes are taking place even though the Royal Mail staff are far better paid than those in the private couriers. Can you give me a link to the boots you chose, please.
Here is the first boot set @Fraser Mitchell these are the the front suspension boots

https://www.balljointboots.co.uk/page6.html

These are the rear set
https://www.balljointboots.co.uk/tra...arm-boots.html

So from the first page it is boot 2 which is 12.5mm small end, 30mm large end and 27mm height, these are the front anti roll bar link, upper control arm, and also rear upper control arm.

The rear is boot number 4 on the first page, 16mm small end, 30mm large end and 26.5mm height. These are quoted as fitting anti roll link and rear stab link.

I would order a few more pairs extra over your needs incase of damage while fitting if you are going to be using the original spring wire clips on original equip.

Have had a scour over the bay and US and Oz suppliers and have not been able to come up with anything in the same dimensions as either of these, so if you are going to order pm me if its convenient for you, I would rather give the money to a forum member.

Last edited by Lightspeed; 12-02-2022 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Additional