XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

fuel gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel gauge problem

I have a 2011 xj. Wonderful car but...the fuel gauge will drop to empty, low fuel light comes on. then will bounce back up. No pattern as far as if I just filled up, or really is low. I live about 5 hours from my dealer. Any ideas before I make the trip?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

You may have a fuel sensor issue. Looks like you are going to have to make that trip to the dealer.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Youll need a new tank assembly, there are 2 senders one for each side of the tank. Only probleem is the drivers side without the electric pump does not have a service port. The tank is assembled by the parts supplier to jaguar and not a field servicable part(yet) so we order and install a new tank. You may want to call them and check order times first. We get them in a day or two after ordering. We see a few of these, not many but we are one of the largest dealers in the us so we see more issues than other dealers ever do.

The following users liked this post:
LiquidIce (04-18-2013)
Old 10-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been meaning to start a thread about this. My new tank assembly just came in, I drop the car off Monday to get this done...

Old 10-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Default waetje

Darn, nothings ever simple....thanks!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:22 AM

Where you ever able to get the problem fix with the gas gauage? I'm having the same problem with my 2011 XJ. How is the car treating you overall? You like it

Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue. Made an appointment with the dealer. Of course when I got there, it was working perfectly, so they couldn't hook it up to diagnose the problem.

Now it seems to be working fine for the last couple weeks. It's odd and happens with no pattern.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I ran into this problem this past Saturday while out of town. The car had just under half a tank of gas, and I happened to go up a mild gravel driveway for about 5 seconds when the low fuel warning light came up. It was fine after stopping/starting the car, but then came back on later and stayed that way until I filled up the tank. Now it seems to be fine and I drove back home without any issues.

@ Brutal, or any other Jag techs, are there any known TSBs, recalls out there for the fuel sensor issue?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
I ran into this problem this past Saturday while out of town. The car had just under half a tank of gas, and I happened to go up a mild gravel driveway for about 5 seconds when the low fuel warning light came up. It was fine after stopping/starting the car, but then came back on later and stayed that way until I filled up the tank. Now it seems to be fine and I drove back home without any issues.

@ Brutal, or any other Jag techs, are there any known TSBs, recalls out there for the fuel sensor issue?
This also happened on the 2011 XJL we just bought a few weeks ago. They replaced one of the fuel senders as Brutal pointed out. Only took a little over an hour.

LiquidIce (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 AM

Thanks mate for your reply, and congrats on your lovely purchase! Did the dealer see the problem you were having with the low fuel warning, or were they able to hook it up to their diagnostic system and find out the issue? The reason I'm asking is because I don't see the issue right now after filling up my car with gas, so not sure if they can still diagnose the issue with the "senders".

Old 04-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Thanks mate for your reply, and congrats on your lovely purchase! Did the dealer see the problem you were having with the low fuel warning, or were they able to hook it up to their diagnostic system and find out the issue? The reason I'm asking is because I don't see the issue right now after filling up my car with gas, so not sure if they can still diagnose the issue with the "senders".
The problem occurred 3 times over a weeks time while we were driving it. I took the car in, told them the symptoms, and they hooked up a diagnostic computer which checked the senders through their entire functional range (electronically). The tech told me that at certain points of the senders range the signal dropped out, which indicated that the sender was bad.

That's what they told me...

Edit: Also, the problem seemed to occur each time we hit 3/4 of a tank of gas...which jives with what the tech said about the sender malfunction...

LiquidIce (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 AM

Thanks mate...the issue with my car is quite weird. Now my tank is down to 3/4 and it is still working fine, no issue with the low fuel warning. I'm going to wait until the tank is nearly empty and then see what happens when the real/correct fuel warning comes up. Cheers and thanks again!

Old 11-28-2017, 04:16 AM

Hi, my 2011 XJ packed up on the motorway last week. I'd filled up the tank the day before but the car said there was no fuel.

Anyway, recovered back to the garage (non dealer) who have quoted for a fuel level sensor with pump and a fuel level sensor (each side of the tank).

All in the quote is just over £800 (6 hour job plus diag)!

What was everyone else's experience with getting this resolved i.e. parts replaced, costs etc?

TIA

Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

When my fuel gauge became unreliable the dealer replaced the fuel pump / level sensor on the right side only and have had no problems since and this was about a year ago.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Wow, my '86 Corvette stuck at a quarter tank once. I ordered a new pump and sending unit. Figured I might as well replace the pump too. Cost me $150 for both. 4 screws hold the lid on and then 8 bolts for the sending unit/pump assembly. Took me about half an hour, start to finish. Easiest one I've ever done. Too bad others can't engineer them to be as easy and reliable. Even Boeing started trying to make maintenance easier starting with the 777.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

In reality there is an access port under the rear seat to the right side pump/level sender and then you can open and replace the unit. If you find that the left side level sensor is bad then it's replace fuel tank time.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had exactly the same issue with my fuel gauge; the fuel needle would randomly move from full to a third full or half full, then back again within minutes or days - this randomly persisted for 3 months, an inherited issue from the previous owner, who I believe never drove with more than half a tank. Whilst considering replacing the sending unit I drove 5,000 miles across Europe filling up 7-8 times in quick succession, repeated rapid depletion and refilling of the tank has cured the issue, no sign of false readings since or for the past 10,000 miles.

If you are suck for a solution I would recommend a very long constant drive, or to fill and empty the tank form the fuel filter or pump, thus exercising the reader from maximum to minimum repeatedly. Although conscious it might return, it has work for me so far.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by waetje
I have a 2011 xj. Wonderful car but...the fuel gauge will drop to empty, low fuel light comes on. then will bounce back up. No pattern as far as if I just filled up, or really is low. I live about 5 hours from my dealer. Any ideas before I make the trip?
Hello, I am having the very same problem with my 2010 Jaguar XJ.
suddenly the diesel gauge will drop to 0 and fuel light will come on even if I am full, most times while driving if I shake the vehicle from left to right it will go back up!! this is very upsetting, any idea of the first thing I should do?

Old 05-06-2020, 06:50 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hilmus Alexander
Hello, I am having the very same problem with my 2010 Jaguar XJ.
suddenly the diesel gauge will drop to 0 and fuel light will come on even if I am full, most times while driving if I shake the vehicle from left to right it will go back up!! this is very upsetting, any idea of the first thing I should do?
Have a read through this thread. You need to go see your dealer (or a good indy) for a diagnostic but seems the most likely cause is a failing level sensor.