XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Heated Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 494 Likes on 294 Posts
Default Heated Windshield

Even though we live in the northeast portion of the US, with cold winters, we don't drive our XJ during that time of year. Therefore, a heated windshield isn't necessary, the "good old defroster" works just fine for us, in the cool autumn evenings.

Some of the regular visitors here may recall the saga of our 2012 XJ, with it being "rear-ended" at a stop light, and it subsequently being written off as a total loss, by our insurance carrier. We then replaced it with a 2016 XJ-L.

The '16 we bought was taken from dealer stock, so we didn't have complete control over what equipment it had. One option it does have, is the heated windshield, and maybe it's just me, but I find it to be a ROYAL PITA!

At night, the reflection of oncoming headlights, off the imbedded wires in the windshield, creates a tremendous amount of glare inside the car. It's almost blinding. Is this a "me problem", or do others notice this too??

Old 09-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, its a problem I am prone to, not just in the Jag.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Personally I do not have a problem with it , I have had heated screens in about 6 Jaguar cars, I even have one in my Ford van that I use for work. By choice I would not actually buy a car in the future without the heated screen. I find it amazing in the winter, defrosting the screen in maybe 1 minute or so. I did notice the "wires" for the first week or two but actually just look "past" the wires when driving.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by roviw
defrosting the screen in maybe 1 minute or so. I did notice the "wires" for the first week or two but actually just look "past" the wires when driving.
Takes less than a minute to scrape . That said, I never scrape my other cars, just start them up and go back in and finish my cuppa. Then the whole car is warm, and defrosted

Old 09-09-2017, 09:27 AM

I know it is nice to get into a warm car but I do not have gates on my driveway, even though I live in a village and the risk would be low you do occasionally here of some guy jumping in the car and driving off when it is being warmed up. I also tend to sleep in as long as possible so always seem to be in a rush in the mornings haha

Old 09-09-2017, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,269 Likes on 1,787 Posts

I am surprised that's possible?

All the remote starting stuff I have had on my other cars locks the car while running so no you can't walk up and open the door without the key.

That would be a BIG security problem for sure!

Old 09-09-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I've never understood why remote start wasn't made available on Jaguars until just recently but, since it's not, if I'm really determined to drive it and pre-warming is desireable, I walk outside and start it, then lock it as I head back into the house. Unless the wife really insists, I'm a lot more apt to drive either the Lincoln Navigator or the Mustang on cold days, as both have factory-installed remote start.

Dwayne

Old 09-10-2017, 03:36 AM

We never really hear about remote starting stuff in the UK, I did read about it being available in the US maybe 25 years ago using a Clifford Alarm system but nothing mentioned about it since then.
Over here we would have to use a second key I suppose to lock it as the normal key would be in the ignition.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Over here we would have to use a second key I suppose to lock it as the normal key would be in the ignition.
Okay... I'm going to show my ignorance. Does your 2011 XJL actually have a key that you insert into an ignition switch? Mine is equipped with pushbutton start; no actual key. All U.S. models I've seen have been set up that way.

Dwayne

Old 09-10-2017, 06:14 AM

We never really hear about remote starting stuff in the UK, I did read about it being available in the US maybe 25 years ago using a Clifford Alarm system but nothing mentioned about it since then.
Many aftermarket alarm systems here in Blighty do have that functionality, but not aware of any cars that have it as standard. I suspect the do-gooders that rule our world here would be up in arms over such a thing.

An old works Transit I had 25yrs ago had an aux heater that you could set to fire up at 6:30... ...so I'd be laying in the bath on a cold winters morning and here the aux heater and fans all fire up to warm the coolant and the cabin (and defrost).

Old 09-10-2017, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

Every new vehicle I've bought since 2008 has come equipped with factory-installed remote start... except the most expensive one!

Dwayne

Old 09-10-2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by dga57
Okay... I'm going to show my ignorance. Does your 2011 XJL actually have a key that you insert into an ignition switch? Mine is equipped with pushbutton start; no actual key. All U.S. models I've seen have been set up that way.

Dwayne

The new one does just have the keyfob and start button but my others have the keys, mind you I have never tried to lock the car with the fob on the new one when the engine is running, I suppose by ignorance I had assumed it would not lock the doors if the engine was running and the fob was not inside the car, similar to not locking if the fob is laying in the boot.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

UK could be different from US, but mine will lock with the engine running and the fob outside the car (in my pocket) just fine. Didn't know about the boot thing; fortunately never tried doing that!

Dwayne

Old 09-12-2017, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 494 Likes on 294 Posts

........... I did notice the "wires" for the first week or two but actually just look "past" the wires when driving.

During the daytime, I have no problem doing that. But at night, the headlights of oncoming cars, reflecting off the wires, makes it very difficult for me to "look past" them.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:09 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

It took me a few months to get used to the embedded wires, now I don't notice them. Ironic as the car now never sees cold weather.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
During the daytime, I have no problem doing that. But at night, the headlights of oncoming cars, reflecting off the wires, makes it very difficult for me to "look past" them.
Exactly my issue, but even get it from tail lights of cars in front under some conditions.

I think some are more sensitive to it than others.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate that Heated Windshield with the Black squiggly lines as well.
is there a solution to it ? can the windshield be replaced with a normal one ?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Yes it could be replaced.