XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Help on DIagnostic Trouble Code P2190

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help on DIagnostic Trouble Code P2190

Hi Gents,

This morning when I was driving to work, about 5 mins after the engine has started running, the engine light was ON. Throughout the whole journey I did not notice any jerks or vibrations whatsoever. Once I have arrived work, I plugged in the OBD and found the code P2190.

The explanation of the code sounds like a small problem, but then I googled it and found that it’s actually not the case.

Can anyone offer any help on how to find out the underlying root cause or if you guys had experienced it then your sharing would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Old 10-11-2018, 12:56 AM

I went back to the car at lunch hour, started the engine and the engine light was still there.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

EmmanualTam, the check engine light will remain on until the condition clears (whether on its own or through being fixed). Then, the light can either be cleared using a tool to reset the light or the vehicle needs to be started 5 times and run a minimum distance (I believe this to be 10,000 revolutions on the engine, ie, computer has enough time to check all its sensors). Then, on the 6th start, the light will clear on its own. Granted, the code will still be in the computer if you let the light clear on its own. This can potentially lead to confusion later on as you may have a new code and this code being read by the scanner.

let me get home and see what the repair manual says about this code. Hopefully it is something easy for you. How much mechanical ability do you have? Trying to figure out how detailed I need to get with my instructions.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
EmmanualTam, the check engine light will remain on until the condition clears (whether on its own or through being fixed). Then, the light can either be cleared using a tool to reset the light or the vehicle needs to be started 5 times and run a minimum distance (I believe this to be 10,000 revolutions on the engine, ie, computer has enough time to check all its sensors). Then, on the 6th start, the light will clear on its own. Granted, the code will still be in the computer if you let the light clear on its own. This can potentially lead to confusion later on as you may have a new code and this code being read by the scanner.

let me get home and see what the repair manual says about this code. Hopefully it is something easy for you. How much mechanical ability do you have? Trying to figure out how detailed I need to get with my instructions.
Thanks Thermo!

Speaking of the repair manual, I actually have the whole manual in hand in PDF. I looked at the Engine Control Module 5.0L (pcm) section and looked into the code :

P219B-00
Bank 2 Air-Fuel Ratio
Imbalance - No sub type
information

But I have not much clue what the rest of the explanation was about. So I guess this tell you about my level of mechanical ability

Old 11-30-2018, 04:58 AM

Hi gents,

It’s funny. I swaped the MAF from left to right and right to left. Cleared the code and it has not come up again since.