XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Hey Siri, Start My Car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 03:43 PM
zYx
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Hey Siri, Start My Car!

Hey all,

I like tinkering with everything, and I thought I'd share what I made with you.

Whether you use Siri Shortcuts or not, you can bypass the Remote app on your iPhone and start your car remotely. This isn't a hack to bypass the subscription. You still need a valid InControl subscription and the app installed on your phone. It's a reverse-engineered and more convenient way to access your car without using the official app.

I didn't like how long it took to start the car using the official app. Just too many steps. With Siri Shortcut, you don't even have to touch your phone. All you need to do is to say: "Hey Siri, Start My Car". It will only work if the remote control is activated on your InControl account. It works with any ICE Jaguar or Land Rover that supports a remote start, but I drive an XJ hence I'm posting it in this forum. It will not work if the remote start is unavailable in your country.

To get it installed on your iPhone, you need to open this page from your iPhone or simply scan the QR code with your iPhone camera and follow the configuration steps, as you will need to link the shortcut with your InControl account.

I hope you like it!

The following 3 users liked this post by zYx:
Anil8or (01-20-2023), Clovis997 (01-24-2023), XJ8JR (02-01-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is really cool! Works like a charm. Is there a way to set this Shortcut up so you can say, “Hey Siri, start my car” instead of “Hey Siri, start my car 1”? Just curious. Thanks so much for sharing your Shortcut!

Old 01-20-2023, 12:57 PM
zYx

Originally Posted by Anil8or
This is really cool! Works like a charm. Is there a way to set this Shortcut up so you can say, “Hey Siri, start my car” instead of “Hey Siri, start my car 1”? Just curious. Thanks so much for sharing your Shortcut!
Sure, just rename the Shortcut and remove the "1".

Old 01-20-2023, 01:04 PM

Thanks a lot! Very cool of you to share this. 👍🏻

Old 01-20-2023, 01:18 PM
zYx

Originally Posted by Anil8or
Thanks a lot! Very cool of you to share this. 👍🏻
You can obviously rename it to whatever you like, ie "Get my jag warm" so then you'd say: "Hey Siri, Get my jag warm" etc 🤪

I'm just getting other actions done like lock and unlock, get the status of all doors, windows, tyre sensors, range etc etc

Old 02-01-2023, 01:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How secure is it placing your details into the shortcut configuration and who are those shared with? Does this send your information elsewhere other than JLR?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2023, 02:02 AM
zYx

Originally Posted by mohaqq
How secure is it placing your details into the shortcut configuration and who are those shared with? Does this send your information elsewhere other than JLR?

Thanks
Your shortcut is stored on your iPhone (and iCloud if you have it configured to be shared between your iDevices) and the HTTP requests are only sent to JLR servers securely using HTTPS, just like it's done in the app.
You can see all actions inside the Shortcut.

Last edited by zYx; 02-01-2023 at 02:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mohaqq (02-02-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 05:07 PM
Default Update

I am so glad I ran into this forum. I have been looking for something like this for quiet a while. I do currently own a land rover so i'm not sure if thats where I may have Issues. After going through and filling out all the information and start the shortcut I get hit with a " a server with specified name could not be found" are you guys aware of a workaround for this?

Old 05-22-2023, 05:20 PM
zYx

Originally Posted by Broncos17!
I am so glad I ran into this forum. I have been looking for something like this for quiet a while. I do currently own a land rover so i'm not sure if thats where I may have Issues. After going through and filling out all the information and start the shortcut I get hit with a " a server with specified name could not be found" are you guys aware of a workaround for this?
Can you send me a screenshot of the error message?
please note that it's easy to delete or reorder steps without knowing so maybe that's what happened.

Alternatively, try downloading the shortcut again.

Let me know if you're still having problems. I'm sure we can sort it out.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if this will help or not but i used the API commands in HomeBridge which allowed me to lock and unlock my car from the Apple HOME app. Maybe you can use the Homebridge API code to make shortcuts for locking and unlocking.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by zYx
Can you send me a screenshot of the error message?
please note that it's easy to delete or reorder steps without knowing so maybe that's what happened.

Alternatively, try downloading the shortcut again.

Let me know if you're still having problems. I'm sure we can sort it out.
Update! re downloaded the shortcut. Was able to get rid of the error code. Unfortunately, after inputting all the information, the shortcut will run all the way through, but does not start the car. I’ve double checked all the inputs, and they seem to be correct.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:42 PM
zYx
Talking

Originally Posted by SAAlexander1985
Not sure if this will help or not but i used the API commands in HomeBridge which allowed me to lock and unlock my car from the Apple HOME app. Maybe you can use the Homebridge API code to make shortcuts for locking and unlocking.
I do actually have a shortcut for it too here. I just uploaded it.
I also have a workflow to read the stats of my car such as battery level, range, tire pressure, whether the engine is running or not and many more and I save it in an Excel spreadsheet every 30 minutes.
Originally Posted by Broncos17!
Update! re downloaded the shortcut. Was able to get rid of the error code. Unfortunately, after inputting all the information, the shortcut will run all the way through, but does not start the car. I’ve double checked all the inputs, and they seem to be correct.
To troubleshoot your shortcut, add a Notification step to the end of your shortcut and in the notification text, use the content of the Get Value for token in REONtoken step to make sure you are actually getting the token. Run the shortcut and if the notification is blank (i.e., no token) then there's a problem somewhere else in the shortcut. You can add notifications after each token step, that way you will see where there's a problem.
You should get a token returned in the notification, something like: {xxxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxx}. If you do get something in REONtoken then there could be a few reasons your car would not start:
  • if there's an issue with the car itself (i.e., pending DPF warning, low battery etc) or
  • if windows or doors are open or
  • if the car is unlocked or
  • your InControl subscription expired :P
In my case, once in a blue moon, I get an orange DPF warning but before I do, the shortcut stops working. In essence, when my shortcut doesn't work, I know I will get an orange DPF warning in the next day or two lol. Otherwise, it works perfectly fine, every single time!

Last edited by zYx; 05-26-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:00 PM
Default Hey siri

Help,
I’ve downloaded the shortcut filled in the required information, however, when I request a start Siri says “your car will start” but nothing happens. Any ideas?

Old 11-04-2023, 12:48 PM
Default Error message

gettin this error pop up when running, would love to use this shortcut on my way to work

Old 11-04-2023, 01:40 PM
zYx

Originally Posted by Biglud
Help,
I’ve downloaded the shortcut filled in the required information, however, when I request a start Siri says “your car will start” but nothing happens. Any ideas?
Can you confirm you have the InControl subscription active? Try editing the shortcut and play it from there. Happy to help if you PM me.
Originally Posted by flakdeezy
gettin this error pop up when running, would love to use this shortcut on my way to work
Try editing the shortcut and play it from there, see at which point it gets stuck and let me know.

Old 11-06-2023, 12:25 PM

Yes i have a active inControl account also edited the shortcut and added my credentials for the variables. Still get this error

Originally Posted by zYx
Can you confirm you have the InControl subscription active? Try editing the shortcut and play it from there. Happy to help if you PM me.

Try editing the shortcut and play it from there, see at which point it gets stuck and let me know.