XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

How to disable start-stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How to disable start-stop

Hello XJ (X351) owners. I'm new to the XJ picking up a 2016 XJR this week, love the car, but hate terribly the intellegent start-stop feature. Any way to disable (permanently) this feature? Thank you.

Last edited by chasr; 05-21-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 05-21-2017, 05:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would love a solution to this question as well. In the F-pace section, a way has been found to disable that feature, and it works. But there's the possibility Jaguar will take a dim view of altering the electronics. Could it affect warranty coverage? That has yet to be determined

John

Old 05-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Thank you John. I will keep researching this and share any findings. There must be way to avoid having to remember to press the the eco button every time you start the vehicle. Why Jaguar engineers don't have the default as "off" rather than "on" is beyond me.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

chasr, reason why there is no "on/off" button is that they used this feature to improve the gas mileage of the car. To disable it makes the EPA rating of the car null and void. Permanently disabling this feature will put your warrantee in question. Depending on what sort of relationship you have with your dealership, this may or may not be an issue.

If you are looking to disable it, I would make sure to get out of any jaguar warrantee and then do what you are wanting to do. I would hate to see something go wrong that should be covered by a warrantee and not be covered due to something silly.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Based on my experience, it appears that various factors determine if and when the Intelligent Stop-Start system shuts off the engine and when it restarts including, but not limited to, the amount of pressure on the brake pedal, cabin temperature, and A/C settings. They're all interconnected computer controls, and I would be concerned about possibly triggering error codes if I messed with the ISS system and the batteries. Either learn to love it (as I have) or press the ECO button and shut it off whenever you start the engine. I may be wrong, but I see no reason to muck with the electronics. Doing so might cause other problems. (Also known as the law of unintended consequences. )

Just my

Stuart

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Chet Crouch (05-26-2017), jagjeep (05-25-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

This is another one of my online companies: Smart Stop Start - Home

This device plugs in the OBDII port and each time you start the engine it simply changes the Stop-Start disable button default to the setting it had the last time you drove the car.

I have been focusing on Jeep and Chrysler, but I am thinking about doing some late model Jag versions later this year.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-22-2017 at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ronbros (05-27-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plug-and-play switch

I would be interested in this if you develop one for a jaguar

Old 05-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

Unplug the "start/stop" battery, in the trunk. The "ECO off" warning light, on the dash, stays illuminated, but that's about all.

A "little birdie" whispered this in my ear.....................

The following 2 users liked this post by leadfoot4:
davchr (06-04-2017), ronbros (05-27-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Based on my experience, it appears that various factors determine if and when the Intelligent Stop-Start system shuts off the engine and when it restarts including, but not limited to, the amount of pressure on the brake pedal, cabin temperature, and A/C settings. They're all interconnected computer controls, and I would be concerned about possibly triggering error codes if I messed with the ISS system and the batteries. Either learn to love it (as I have) or press the ECO button and shut it off whenever you start the engine. I may be wrong, but I see no reason to muck with the electronics. Doing so might cause other problems. (Also known as the law of unintended consequences. )

Just my

Stuart
Stuart,
I also "hate" the (ISS) Stop-Start feature on my 2014 XJ and would love to have someone find a solution for deleting it but like you I don't think Jaguar would appreciate this. Also, based on recent experiences, some dealers, I suspect would love to find a way to crawfish out of covering a warranty issue...
Jagjeep

Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't get why you guys don't like this. It is probably good for 5% increase in fuel mileage. When mine works (I have chronic low-battery conditions) I am fine with it. For those times when you want to be instantly ready to go or in stop and go traffic (where it can get annoying), just hit the off button.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (05-27-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Don't like it -- never will.

A question was raised, why don't you like it. I believe that it forces one to learn a totally different driving style, when slowing, stopped and -- in this case -- re-starting!

At a stop and in line with others, my approach has always been to keep as much distance between me and the guy behind. I can generally slowly inch my way up to lengthen that distance if he's too close. With the "not well thought out Eco", that means the car starts again and again. Very annoying!

And -- what happens if a jack-rabbit start is required as you see another idiot driver about to ram you in the rear? Too bad with Eco, tail-gater in your trunk.

When I purchased my 2013 XJ, Eco was a deal-breaker. The dealer very graciously had it disabled within 15 minutes, making me a happy camper. Only down side, the yellow ECO light remains on. A small piece of black electrical tape covers that distraction. I don't know what's the situation with the newest models and I'm looking to trade up to a 2018 and possibly pick up an F-pace for my wife. If that feature can not or they will not disable it, I'll pass on another Jag.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:22 PM

I have experienced the same Stuart with a/c, cabin temp, brake pedal pressure. I was at the dealership yesterday and while there asked how to permanently shut the feature off. Was advised you cannot. When I left the dealership the start/stop feature did not work. Initially I thought possibly the dealer did me a big favor disconnecting it and just didn't say anything. After about 20 min of city driving the feature activated, must have had something to do with the cabin temp, so these variables can disengage the system, but you never know for certain at what point it will disengage and then re-engage? I tried simply letting up slightly on the brake peddle as the vehicle comes to a full stop, this practice works, but it introduces a new driving style I'm not a fan of. So, for me the best solution is to press the button and disengage the system after starting the engine. The issue is my failing memory. I will have to buy some post-it-notes, stick to the dash for 21 days to create a new habit. I can see the value of the feature for people driving in cities where you can read a book while stopped at a red light, but still am of the personal belief the default should be OFF and if you desire the feature active you turn it on.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:24 PM

I recall seeing only the main battery, but will look again. thanks.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

The 2013 and 2014 (may even be the 2015) model years Jaguar used a small second battery for the stop/start ECO feature. Beginning in 2016 with the LED headlights the smaller second battery was replaced with a capacitor in the same position as was the smaller battery. About 2 years ago my ECO stopped working so no more stop/start ECO and no dash warning light came on. Eventually last year the ECO light started to come on and I replaced the small battery and the ECO light went out, but still no stop/start. I think where I am at now is that the main large battery is still strong, but not quite strong enough to tell the system that ECO can reactivate. I really don't miss the feature.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

It appears that Jaguar, as well as all other car manufacturers, introduced the stop-start feature in order to meet the government-mandated Corporate Average Fuel Economy ("CAFE") requirements. That's why the default is "On" and dealers tell you that they can't disable it or change the default to "Off".

But that doesn't mean that it can't be done by an independent mechanic. But why spend the money to do so when all it takes is a simple push of the ECO button to shut it off? If that's too much trouble for you to do so, then all hope is gone and you are doomed.

And if your memory is failing and you're concerned about forgetting to remember to push the ECO button, then why are you still driving? Shouldn't you be more concerned about forgetting which pedal makes the car stop and which pedal makes it go and your reaction time? Don't be an accident waiting to happen.

To me, this is making a mountain out of a molehill and is much ado about nothing. Saying that you won't buy a Jaguar if you can't disable the stop-start system or change the default is meaningless because all other manufacturers with comparable models/engines also have stop-start.

Just my

Old 06-03-2017, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KingFala
A question was raised, why don't you like it. I believe that it forces one to learn a totally different driving style, when slowing, stopped and -- in this case -- re-starting!

At a stop and in line with others, my approach has always been to keep as much distance between me and the guy behind. I can generally slowly inch my way up to lengthen that distance if he's too close. With the "not well thought out Eco", that means the car starts again and again. Very annoying!

And -- what happens if a jack-rabbit start is required as you see another idiot driver about to ram you in the rear? Too bad with Eco, tail-gater in your trunk.

When I purchased my 2013 XJ, Eco was a deal-breaker. The dealer very graciously had it disabled within 15 minutes, making me a happy camper. Only down side, the yellow ECO light remains on. A small piece of black electrical tape covers that distraction. I don't know what's the situation with the newest models and I'm looking to trade up to a 2018 and possibly pick up an F-pace for my wife. If that feature can not or they will not disable it, I'll pass on another Jag.

Well stated...........ESPECIALLY the part about getting rammed from behind! That's how we wound up with a 2016 XJ...........it replaced our beloved 2012, that got rammed from behind.

With respect to disabling the eco-start "feature", I do believe there might be some legal ramifications if the dealer were to disable it for you. HOWEVER, there's nothing to stop the dealer from instructing you to open the trunk of your car, pointing out the plug that controls it, and just saying, "unplug that", while they turn and look the other way.....

Old 06-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Stuart S, I agree that we should be able to "remember", that to which we are about to perform. My "half-heimers" aside, its that gosh-danged government intervention stuff that has my knickers in a twitter! Enough, all ready! Give it a rest, the market will decide if I really need to save a spoon-full of fuel for every tank full.

Good-day to you all and I guess we'll each need to figure out what works for us.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Strangest thing happened, today. Mind you, our "eco-start/stop" has been dis-abled since day 1, but I drive out of the garage and stop, so my wife can open the passenger door and get in (I have 3 cars "shoe-horned" into a two and a half car garage). I stop the car so she can get in, and the car "stalls", so I thought. As I'm pressing the "start" button, I see the green "eco" light illuminated............

Old 06-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Wasn't your car just in the shop? The dealership personnel probably reactivated it.

Dwayne

Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dga57
Wasn't your car just in the shop? The dealership personnel probably reactivated it.

Dwayne

You're quite observant, regarding my shop visit, however, they didn't plug the capacitor back in. That's what makes it really strange.....