How do I fix this door handle, stuck. - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Current ) > XJ ( X351 )
Reload this Page >

How do I fix this door handle, stuck.

Notices
XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - Onwards

How do I fix this door handle, stuck.

 
  #1  
Old 12-30-2018, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 113
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default How do I fix this door handle, stuck.

Hello

I have a 2012 Jaguar XJ.
Lately the door handles get stuck when opening.
What should be used to fix this problem?

Video:
 
  #2  
Old 12-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: home
Posts: 3,217
Thanked 569 Times in 471 Posts
Default

Sounds kinda dumb but have you tried lubing it with something like WD-40?
Then working the handle a few times. Some won't like WD-40 but you can use what you like.

Post some picture of your car, we don't see many members from Sweden!
.
.
.
 
  #3  
Old 12-30-2018, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 113
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by clubairth1 View Post
Sounds kinda dumb but have you tried lubing it with something like WD-40?
Then working the handle a few times. Some won't like WD-40 but you can use what you like.

Post some picture of your car, we don't see many members from Sweden!
.
.
.

Thanks. I havenít tried anything yet because I didnít want to take any risk. I will try your suggestion. I can't upload photos. It doesn't work.


 

Last edited by vika01; 12-30-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Photos
  #4  
Old 12-30-2018, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: home
Posts: 3,217
Thanked 569 Times in 471 Posts
Default

Well it's just a door handle and I can't see any kind of lubricant hurting anything?
Maybe you will need to wipe the door down afterwards?
.
.
.
 
  #5  
Old 12-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 113
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

 

Last edited by vika01; 12-30-2018 at 02:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vika01 For This Useful Post:
BlueX (12-31-2018)
  #6  
Old 12-30-2018, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 113
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Thank you. Photos uploaded . The photo with the two Xj's, mine is the one far back. There are only 186 of the new generation (2009--) here in Sweden so imagine how extremely surprised I was to out of nowhere see a white XJ with the same exterior spec as mine.
 

Last edited by vika01; 12-30-2018 at 03:01 PM.
  #7  
Old 12-30-2018, 08:31 PM
xdave's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 968
Thanked 446 Times in 279 Posts
Default

This happened to one of my rear doors, and there is a technical bulletin describing how to resolve it by using a knife blade to shave part of the internal moulding off which causes it to rub and bind. I note it appears cold in your video which was when mine starting binding too. TSB and workshop steps are attached. Removing the handle is easy (just one screw on the door jamb) but note you do not fully remove the screw only loosen it as shown in the instructions. Also pay attention to locating the connector into the slot correctly if you fully remove it. (You can shave off the moulding without fully removing if you have someone else to hold the handle. You do need to remove the fixed part first though.)

NB don't use any kind of oil or grease on your door handles or latch mechanisms - they will attract dirt/dust which will block them. Only use dry lubricants, e.g. a Teflon/PTFE spray.
 
Attached Files
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xdave For This Useful Post:
hafren (01-02-2019), Nedoerr (01-03-2019), XJsss (12-31-2018)
  #8  
Old 12-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 113
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by xdave View Post
This happened to one of my rear doors, and there is a technical bulletin describing how to resolve it by using a knife blade to shave part of the internal moulding off which causes it to rub and bind. I note it appears cold in your video which was when mine starting binding too. TSB and workshop steps are attached. Removing the handle is easy (just one screw on the door jamb) but note you do not fully remove the screw only loosen it as shown in the instructions. Also pay attention to locating the connector into the slot correctly if you fully remove it. (You can shave off the moulding without fully removing if you have someone else to hold the handle. You do need to remove the fixed part first though.)

NB don't use any kind of oil or grease on your door handles or latch mechanisms - they will attract dirt/dust which will block them. Only use dry lubricants, e.g. a Teflon/PTFE spray.
thank you I appreciate it.
 
  #9  
Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: home
Posts: 3,217
Thanked 569 Times in 471 Posts
Default

Xdave comes thru again!
Thanks much for the real answer.
If you don't work for Jag they should pay you anyway!

Vika01 please post back if this got you fixed up?
.
.
.
 
  #10  
Old 01-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 113
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by clubairth1 View Post
Xdave comes thru again!
Thanks much for the real answer.
If you don't work for Jag they should pay you anyway!

Vika01 please post back if this got you fixed up?
.
.
.
WD-40 didn't seem to work. Will see tomorrow if it's settled and maybe made a difference.
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MMJ9992108Avenue
XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III
4
12-01-2018 08:41 AM
creatious
XJ40 ( XJ81 )
0
05-28-2013 12:52 AM
steveinfrance
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
4
03-02-2013 10:49 AM
baycliffpwds
X-Type ( X400 )
10
12-17-2011 08:08 PM
XType750
X-Type ( X400 )
10
07-28-2007 07:05 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I fix this door handle, stuck.


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: