XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

How do you clean this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:54 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default How do you clean this?

How do you all clean the rubber sides on the left and right of the touchscreen?

Old 08-01-2017, 06:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JagGate
Great question. Subscribed

Old 08-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

JagGate, I would think that you could simply use a wet rag to get anything off. Maybe add in a dab of a mild dish soap (or something of the like).

Old 08-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Is yours all sticky?

Old 08-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

They actually melt a bit and then the dust and dirt stick into the material. If you can't clean it you might have to replace. It happens to the buttons too. Poor material choice. If it's not sticky then you should be able to clean it.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I scraped all the stickiness off with a plastic razor blade - it comes off like candle wax - then a quick wipe with simple green on a microfiber cloth.

Came out perfect. Did the sticky buttons too.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGate
You could use Goo Gone with a microfiber cloth and patience.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am stuck with the sticky buttons and bezel around the touchscreen. After talking to my dealership about it, I was told that Jaguar had agreed to replace everything and parts had been ordered. Nineteen days later, the dealership called me and told me that Jaguar had changed their mind and was not going replace anything and I could come pick up my car. I contacted Jaguar USA and was informed that there never has been a campaign nor recall on the buttons on the buttons and even went as far as them saying they didn't even know a problem existed, but yet they confirmed that they have redesigned the buttons and the other dash pieces and the new pieces wouldn't become sticky. When asked why they had agreed to replace them, kept my car for 19 days, then changed their mind, they had no answer. They did offer to pay 1/2 the price of changing everything out and quoted me close to $6,000 for my share. Sorry your having the same trouble with the sticky mess also - Maybe Jaguar USA should visit this forum and see that some others are also having trouble..

I have to admit - I am beyond disappointed with Jaguar and how they have handled not only this, but some other issues. Initially I had been so happy with my Jaguar, I was considering upgrading, but with my recent experience with Jaguar USA, I now have a bitter taste for the brand, and can honestly say at this point, that I could never recommend this brand to anyone.

Last edited by Cork76063; 09-21-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

I suspect your dealer messed up and thought your car was still under the factory warranty (where the trim pieces would be replaced) but then went to submit the claim and it was denied. The only time work that would be carried out foc out of warranty was if there was a safety campaign or recall, and as far as I can tell from searching TOPIx there have only been informational notices about the sticky button finishes on JLR cars.

You must only use water and a soft cloth to clean the earlier soft painted finishes as any solvents stronger than water will eventually soften the paint and strip it off. The later finish is textured rather than painted and doesn't break down. This was not just a Jaguar problem - many manufacturers used the same finishes in the early 2010's and have had the same problems. Some people have had success in stripping the paint off completely. You could replace yourself for significantly less than $6k USD ($12k USD for the screen surround and AC button panel is ridiculous, you can buy the parts brand new at retail cost for 1/4 of that and fitting takes 5 minutes).

Old 09-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently had a situation where I spilled some water on the HVAC radio controls, causing a few backlights to go out. Being the **** type I decided to replace the parts. Turned out that replacing the display surround trim piece and the entire control unit took about 30 minutes. More importantly the cost was actually reasonable. Brand new trim piece was $150 USD, and the control unit is easily available online for about $950 (I located a new one for a fraction of that). Thank you Matt for his excellent write-up and photos on how to remove these pieces. So for about $1000 easily replace all the sticky rubber buttons and screen surround, and start fresh.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Thanks xdave and drpainless -

My biggest problem is the wide bezel around the touch screen - it is white fuzzy now - just replacing this myself is a great idea - thanks again and happy motoring.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The wide bezel around the touchscreen part# is AW93044B88. Cost was less than $200 from Reno Jaguar. Pulls right off in two minutes, especially if you're not interested in saving it. New one snaps right on.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 PM
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I had my buttons replaced under the sticky button warranty. My dealer was surprised Jaguar corporate approved it. My car had 30 days left on the CPO warranty.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2010-2...1420683067774/

Old 09-25-2017, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Interesting that article has 2010-2015 for the date range but Jaguar seemed to know about it fairly quickly?
I would have thought they would changed the process long before 2015?

Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 PM

Poly - consider yourself lucky - according to Jaguar USA - (or at least the rep that I have been dealing with) they know nothing about sticky buttons, have never had a complaint, nor have they issued a recall or tech bulletin on them. Car still has plenty of CPO warranty left. I even sent them a copy of that same article and they denied it. They stated that the TSB that was listed was for non-US cars.

I am so disgusted with this, that when ever I park the car (mainly at my yacht club parking lot) I put a sign in the window that states before you purchase a Jaguar, to stop by my boat and have a chat. I then take them to the car, show them the fuzzy dash, and my communications with Jaguar USA. I then let them decide if they want to pursue the Jaguar brand or not. The marina that I'm at has close to 1000 slips, and I have been surprised at the number of people who are considering a purchase of a Jaguar and have stopped by and chat with me. Don't know if this has opened any of their eyes or not, but I do know that I have not seen any new Jaguars in the parking lot.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I did think it was odd the buttons felt sticky, but i was naive and just assumed it was some weird British plastic haha.

Here is the TSB from NHTSA's website:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...96829-1020.pdf

Is this not enough to show to a dealer to have this taken care of? Specifically this part:

Action: In the event of a customer concern of this issue and one or more of the switch packs demonstrates
the above symptoms, renew ALL of the interior switches and trim items listed in the Parts section.
I admit though I am not 100% sure how the TSB situation worked, but I was under the impression that if your car was affected by the condition in the TSB, you could bring it in to be covered FOC. But it is not a safety issue, so therefore it is not a recall.

Last edited by Hank Scorpio; 10-12-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

No a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is just what it says. It's to help the mechanics repair the more common reported problems quickly.

Also a hint. If you think your car has a problem as described in the TSB. When you bring it in try to use the same words as they did in the TSB. This will make your symptoms match the TSB and you will be more likely to get it repaired.

So no recall and no requirement for Jaguar to do anything. Just a noted problem with a repair suggestion.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

My experience with TSBs is that if you are out of Jaguar warrantee, it is just something that helps the tech fixing the vehicle. If the car is under warrantee, this will tend to get repaired free of charge unless it is obvious that the failure was caused by the owner.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
My experience with TSBs is that if you are out of Jaguar warrantee, it is just something that helps the tech fixing the vehicle. If the car is under warrantee, this will tend to get repaired free of charge unless it is obvious that the failure was caused by the owner.
does that include CPO warranty? the stickiness isnt bothering me but i can see it getting worse. right now it just feels like slightly different plastic.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue on my Benz and used Goo Gone bought a small bottle at Lowes for a couple of bucks. Put some on a rag and lightly rub each area. The buttons came clean and no damage to the lettering. Not sure if it will remove the lettering on the Jag.