XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jack stands on the XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 11:14 PM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Jack stands on the XJ?

I've been trying to jack up my XJ to remove the engine shield and diagnose the oil leak. The recommended jack points and stands points make no sense to me as my jack blocks anywhere you'd be able to place the stands! For those that have gotten their XJ on stands, how?

The following users liked this post:
bmbmdmb (05-10-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

This was asked previously and here is the shop manual answer.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 3 users liked this post by XJsss:
leaddog11 (05-23-2022), Maxpower (05-26-2022), mikebaker3 (04-12-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 10:08 AM

Yes I did see this. The points and the stands are so close together I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get a jack stand right next to where my jack is. They won't both fit.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:10 AM

From what I can tell, the green circle is for jack stands. The blue area is for a jack. So do I need to cut a piece of wood to fit that blue area? Because my trolley jack is way too large to raise that area and it looks made for a scissor jack.

reyesfam (05-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Received 140 Likes on 95 Posts

silvertones,

I bought 2 hard rubber pucks off the big river place. They have a slot cut in them that the seam located in the 'blue area' fits into. They allow me to lift the car on a trolley jack without bending the seam. I actually bought two so I can lift the front off the ground on both sides equally (yep, you need 2 jacks)

From memory, I think I paid about $7 for both.

wombat

Old 04-04-2020, 12:25 PM
Received 2,600 Likes on 1,794 Posts

+1 on using two trolley jacks to raise the vehicle. If one jack is used, there is a possibility of twisting the body and causing extensive damage.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:08 PM

Maybe I'm just stupid. But this still doesn't make sense to me.

I have two jacks, on that tiny little bottle jack point, on each side of the car. I slowly go back and forth, raising the car evenly with my trolley jacks.

When the car is high enough to put my jack stands under, I can't. The trolley jack is right in the way of where you might possibly put jack stands. It makes no sense. I've jacked up my other 4 cars before on stands, so while I am a novice I'm not a total noob here. I just don't get it. The jack point and the jack stand points are impossibly close together.

Here is a pic. The jack stand is as close as it can possibly get. Any closer and the front wheels of the jack are in the way.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:58 PM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

Have you considered driving the front end on ramps? Would that give enough room to remove the undertray/engine shield?

Robert Wagner (05-18-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by mikebaker3
Have you considered driving the front end on ramps? Would that give enough room to remove the undertray/engine shield?
I did, however, I'm not sure it would give enough to explore, but I can give it a try

Old 04-13-2020, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

I use Rhino Ramps for jobs where the wheels don't have to come off. They're also very handy for things like control arms, where you're supposed to do the final tightening under load at normal ride height.

I've come to the conclusion that the best approach for jacking is two stout trolley jacks, with the pucks. Then I put 4 jack stands, 2 under the lower control arms and 2 under the subframe. But I just gently rest the car on them, they're not supporting the full weight of the car. That's still taken by the trolley jacks.

Not ideal, but the best plan I can come up with so far.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
I use Rhino Ramps for jobs where the wheels don't have to come off. They're also very handy for things like control arms, where you're supposed to do the final tightening under load at normal ride height.

I've come to the conclusion that the best approach for jacking is two stout trolley jacks, with the pucks. Then I put 4 jack stands, 2 under the lower control arms and 2 under the subframe. But I just gently rest the car on them, they're not supporting the full weight of the car. That's still taken by the trolley jacks.

Not ideal, but the best plan I can come up with so far.
Can you get high enough with rhino ramps to remove the engine cover?

Old 04-15-2020, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
Can you get high enough with rhino ramps to remove the engine cover?
I'm not sure, they give 8" of lift. Is that enough?

Old 04-16-2020, 06:14 PM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

My thought is for you to put the car on the ramps and then see. With the car up on your ramps, can you access the fasteners to remove the undertray?

Old 04-26-2020, 01:29 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I also put the jack at the designated jacking point and the stands under the lower control arms leaving weight on both the jack and jack stands.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
I also put the jack at the designated jacking point and the stands under the lower control arms leaving weight on both the jack and jack stands.
This is what ended up working for me. 2 Jacks, 2 jackstands, and enough clearance to remove the massive engine cover.

In this topic does anyone know what that large thing is on the driver's side bottom of the front engine cover? It's wired to something in the engine cover so I can't fully remove the cover, I have to turn it aside.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what ended up working for me. 2 Jacks, 2 jackstands, and enough clearance to remove the massive engine cover.

In this topic does anyone know what that large thing is on the driver's side bottom of the front engine cover? It's wired to something in the engine cover so I can't fully remove the cover, I have to turn it aside.
I've been trying to jack up my XJ to remove the engine shield and diagnose the oil leak. The recommended jack points and stands points make no sense to me as my jack blocks anywhere you'd be able to place the stands! For those that have gotten their XJ on stands, how?
Hello
I discovered this same problem on a 2018 XJ.
What did you do in the end with respect to jacking up point and jack stand point?

I am interested in the front and rear end jack points.

Front end: Yes, the trolley jack interfers with the jack stand. I thought about this and wondered whether this might work

1. Bottle jack on sill with wood and jack stand under boxed recess area.
or
2. Trolley jack under sill with wood to spread load. A bedstand cuboid like piece of wood to act as a jack stand (A fence post cut down to height). This will allow the trolley jack to be unloaded but left in place.
Obviously, not as good as a jack stand.
3. Buy a 2 post or 4 post lift and extra celiling height. (Not really an option).

Rear: The sill is strong enough to use with trolley jack with some wood.
The actual trolley jack point is under a black painted piece of metal that is part of an iron support which is substantial.
However, it has a rubber bush directly above it and blue plastic. The iron has voids and vertical walls that are wafer thin. I didnt dare jack here.
The jack stand location at rear is near the sill but is sloped and has 3 nuts on it to shear off/bend.

Where are people actually jacking up and supporting the car I would like to know.

See photos

Front sill and boxed section (bit around circular hole)that are too close together

Rear trolley jack point (allegedly). Viewed from rear right. Look for the black metal under blue bit. The silver metal is the rear exhaust shield Anyone jacked under here successfully?

Jack stand placed and loaded here under the rear iron structure. Also loaded further rear of this where a V shape occurs

Another pic of Rear trolley jack point that is untried as it appears wafer thin on metal. To right of exhaust shield and above wheel in this photo. Follow the horizontal bar between rear wheels, it is at both ends above this bar.

Another rear jack stand point used that forms a V shape.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:02 PM
Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry for the bump, but truthfully would be curious what people are doing as well. I recently started using the provided emergency scissor jack to lift the vehicle, and sticking the lowest profile columnar style jackstand in the area. It still barely fits, and honestly takes too long.

Whomever designed the sheet metal in this chassis made some dumb choices.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:16 PM

I ended up installing 4 post lifts in my garage. One has a 2 post bridge jack which works perfectly for the XJ.

Not the solution for everyone, but I guess the quick jack or ramps are alternatives.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:25 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
This was asked previously and here is the shop manual answer.
So how does one get a shop manual

Old 05-23-2022, 11:26 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Where to get shop manual

Quick Reply: Jack stands on the XJ?