XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Jaguar XJL 2011 non runner 3.0 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 05:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XJL 2011 non runner 3.0 Diesel

Hi all,

I bought a Jaguar XJL 3.0d as a none runner from an auction. A picture just in case any of you recognise the car. Its reg plate is LD60YXJ or the private plate it was on before was M12NAM. I tried contacting the previous owner via linkedin and facebook but to no avail.

I bought it sight unseen due to the location but it was the colour and specification i wanted. So i got the car delivered and started straight away to attempt to get the car running. When i finally got some charge into the boot it would start up but would have a weird knocking noise we initially though injector knock but the car wouldn't run for longer than say 5-10 seconds. The noise didn't sounds like bottom end knock but it was more towards the top. There was no smoke out the exhaust though as you'd get with injector issues.

So here’s a quick round up of where I’m up to on the jag so far.
Removed the injectors
Removed the starter motor.
Removed all front covers to expose the timing belt.
Attempted to turn the engine over by hand to see if there’s any hard spots
Dropped the engine oil
Removed passenger side cam cover

So basically as I turn over by hand the engine has a hard spot which cannot be passed. I dipped the injector holes to try and find the highest piston at the time the engine locks up and removed the cam cover.

I’ve removed the timing belt to move either side leading cam in the heads to ensure clear movement. Seems to be fine and turning ok.

When I make the crank move back and forth I watched the flywheel and that moves simultaneously. So it can’t be a snapped crank.

I can only guess that maybe a valve is gone in the head after the timing being incorrect or the belt slipping. Looking at the oil no sparkly bits, although does seem exceptionally thin and stinks of diesel maybe dpf related.

Also i cant get into the glove box, its not in valet mode neither but still it wont open.

Any other ideas before I pull the heads? I dont really want to drop the engine as i dont have a ramp but it has to be done then so be it.

Also has anyone got a PDF workshop manual available please? Seems to be very little help around for these engines.

Last edited by Lordpsk; 05-22-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:14 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lordpsk
... Also has anyone got a PDF workshop manual available please? Seems to be very little help around for these engines.

Previously the answer to this question has been to buy a day's access to Topix (https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...cle/lookupForm) and download everything that isn't nailed down in the day that you have access. Costs $30 or something for the day.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the reply.

I've actually just found a PDF workshop manual for an XF 3.0d. So at least I've now got some idea how it all comes apart. To say these engines are not made to be pulled apart within the engine bay is an understatement.