XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

My 2011 XJ virtual dash board flashes madly intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else come across this problem, the car has only done 22,000 miles

Thanks

Last edited by Cambo; 10-17-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:55 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

It could be a lot of things. I have no experience with your car since I'm waiting on mine to be shipped in from California. I have worked on electronics all my life though, so the list of causes could be long, from software to bad solder joints. The most likely is the low miles causing a bad connection. Corrosion can build up on the connectors from sitting too long without power applied. Voltage does some strange things such as protecting a light bulb filament when you have a crash to protecting a connector from corrosion. You could always tell if a light bulb was on in a crash because the filament inside the bulb would still be intact if it was on. The filament would be broken if it happened with it off.

This is my first post, I just joined a few minutes ago. I was going to wait until I get my Jag, but I thought I might be able to help. Try hitting the dash when it does it and see if the vibration stops it. If it does the problem is probably in the connector for the display. If it doesn't, it may be at the computer end or wherever the image is generated. Driving the car enough may fix it on it's own though. I had the same problem with the dash lights in my Corvette. If I let it sit for awhile some of the bulbs wouldn't light. If I drove it almost everyday they worked perfectly and consistently. Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Well before you do any of that how old is the battery?

Many strange electrical things happen when your battery is not 100%.
Even consider using a battery tender because with a low mile car that says it does not get driven much.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear rhomanski,Thanks very much for your reply, I will pass this on to my local Jaguar main dealer as they have not come across it before and seem at a loss, they just advised me that to have a new screen fitted would cost over 4 figures just for the part. My car was one of the first to have the digital dash fitted so perhaps this problem might become more reported on in time

Old 10-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Your very welcome, when I was in the military, the most common fix was to pull a part and immediately reinstall it. The physical movement of the connector against the other half would scrape the metal clean and make a good contact again. This happened even with gold plated connectors moreso with other types of metal. It held true with commercial planes when I worked on them. Maybe not as much because they don't sit around as much. Most commercial planes are used everyday and usually several times a day. We always kept power on them when they sat at the terminal just so they wouldn't have a problem when the pilot showed up. Hope this helps.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a similar problem in a 2011 XJ with 53,000 miles on it. Been to a local repair shop and Jim Coleman Jaguar. New battery and all have been tried. It's not lack of driving either. With only 53,000 miles Jim Coleman has recommended I scrap the car. It's stuck in limp mode.

I recommend anyone with this issue get rid of the car ASAP.

Jaguar CRC has just ignore my request for help.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rdmartin
Jim Coleman has recommended I scrap the car. It's stuck in limp mode.

I recommend anyone with this issue get rid of the car ASAP.
Wow scrapping the whole car due to some bad virtual gauges? I knew I got a bad feeling about this in 2011 when the new XJ came out. Today, 'virtually' all new high-end cars have these gauges that are waiting to break.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So I had similar problem where the whole thing flashes and its scary. My dealer here did a lot of research and finally figured out there are two service patches that needs applied for this. I have never had the issue since those were applied. I don't know which patches they are but I can call and find out.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:13 AM

When we first took delivery of the 767-400 aircraft the pilots started having their displays flashing when landing. They worked up a new program and I had the fun of installing it into the computers and then going on the test flight. We did quite a few touch and goes at the Birmingham Al. airport. The pilots reported no more blanking displays. The other guys loaded the patch into the other planes.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kipper

Anyone else come across this problem, the car has only done 22,000 miles

Thanks
Hey Kipper,

Were you able to find a solution for this problem?

Old 01-10-2018, 08:35 AM

ABrice,

Got your private message and I'll answer in the forum. My car is still in the same status. We have had terrible weather here in the DC area since Christmas time and I have only driven it like once or twice. Just to give you current status. My car has continued to run since early December without any incident, with of course what the Jag dealers call the "Entertainment loop" being totally dead. To be clear, the radio, nav system and bluetooth do not work at all and show no sign of working. The screen for the radio is dark as an example but the Nav System is actually "lighted" with the only message ever displayed is "road not found". The trunk now works, when I was having the problems, the trunk would not open.

I wish I could give you an intellectually responsive answer of how I got here but I'm not sure I can so I'll give you a history. For some reason Jim Coleman Jaguar actually thought that Jaguar CRC was actually going to do something. They never did of course so the car sat at the dealership for close to 5 weeks. If you have read my tread you know about me engaging with Jaguar Annapolis so I won't repeat that history here. Anyway, when I went to pick up the car the battery was totally dead. Upon charging it and starting the car for some reason the entertainment loop suddenly was totally dead and hence, the rest of the car operated fine.

I have no rhyme or reason why this has happened. There was a gentleman, RHomanski, who commented with me a lot and seemed really sharp on this type of issues. Maybe he will see this on comment on what he thinks happened on my car. He is much better situated to render an opinion then me.

The weather here in the DC area is finally breaking and I will get it down to Jaguar Annapolis in the next week or two. I have no clue what they may find but will let you know and will also update the thread I started.

Sincerely,
R-

Old 01-10-2018, 08:46 AM

Just for background ABrice and others, my thread is titled "Major electrical issues and Jaguar "CRC"". That my help with the background on my history.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts

rdmartin,

Send a PM to forum member Brutal. He's a very experienced and knowledgeable Jaguar tech in Texas and has been very helpful on the X150 (XK/XKR) Forum. Hopefully, he can provide guidance for a fix.

Stuart

Old 01-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

ABrice,

Got your private message and I'll answer in the forum. My car is still in the same status. We have had terrible weather here in the DC area since Christmas time and I have only driven it like once or twice. Just to give you current status. My car has continued to run since early December without any incident, with of course what the Jag dealers call the "Entertainment loop" being totally dead. To be clear, the radio, nav system and bluetooth do not work at all and show no sign of working. The screen for the radio is dark as an example but the Nav System is actually "lighted" with the only message ever displayed is "road not found". The trunk now works, when I was having the problems, the trunk would not open.

I wish I could give you an intellectually responsive answer of how I got here but I'm not sure I can so I'll give you a history. For some reason Jim Coleman Jaguar actually thought that Jaguar CRC was actually going to do something. They never did of course so the car sat at the dealership for close to 5 weeks. If you have read my tread you know about me engaging with Jaguar Annapolis so I won't repeat that history here. Anyway, when I went to pick up the car the battery was totally dead. Upon charging it and starting the car for some reason the entertainment loop suddenly was totally dead and hence, the rest of the car operated fine.

I have no rhyme or reason why this has happened. There was a gentleman, RHomanski, who commented with me a lot and seemed really sharp on this type of issues. Maybe he will see this on comment on what he thinks happened on my car. He is much better situated to render an opinion then me.

The weather here in the DC area is finally breaking and I will get it down to Jaguar Annapolis in the next week or two. I have no clue what they may find but will let you know and will also update the thread I started.

Sincerely,
R-
Howdy neighbor! Unfortunately, there are two types of people that buy a Jaguar. Those that buy them new, and those that buy them used. And never the twain shall meet. Your car is long out of warranty and they see no chance of you ever buying a new one so they will not consider an out of warranty courtesy repair. Which is too bad really as it does filter to all levels of Jaguar buyers eventually.

Why aren't you using JAGUAR WEST COLUMBIA? Or are those two linked? That is where I do my service I don't like Bethesda.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Hello JagGate,

Yes, Jim Coleman and Jaguar of West Columbia are the same. Did not have a good experience with them overall and their GM was always very prickly with me. I'll never use them again and drive right by them and continue on for another 25 miles to get to Jaguar Annapolis. Also they had me do the whole dealing with Jaguar CRC and the major debacle that was considering that neither Jaguar CRC nor themselves were ever going to do anything. Why jerk me around, they should have just told me to go somewhere else and tell me tough crap instead of having me waste 5 weeks. They don't want me as a customer and I don't want them as a service provider. When I talked to other Jaguar dealers, they seemed surprised and perplexed with the advise I got and told me Jaguar CRC would not do anything.

I don't understand Jaguar and the position they took with me. I own some Italian exotics and a Cigarette boat so one would think I'm a target client. My brother owns 3 Land Rovers and with my experience he will never buy another one and Jaguar now has me recommending to never buy a Jaguar whenever someone asks me. If Jaguar had done something just to show they stand by their product, I probably would have bought a Land Rover in a few years to replace an old SUV.

On the flip side, the above causes incredible depreciation and for those of you capable of doing a lot of your own work, its an awesome opportunity to own a beautiful car at bargain prices. It's a goldmine for you guys with some skills. I did buy the car new on Christmas Eve when they were clearing out the 2011's. I got a great deal, about 40% off the sticker price and free service for 5 years so it's not a huge financial bath for me. The Jags have so much more style and attraction then a typical German luxury car. My car not's worth much, I'll probably repair it if it makes economical sense and keep it on the road for a while cause when it works it's awesome, but work never recommend one to anyone unless they are mechanically inclined like many of you. The above is not meant to be controversial, just my insight.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

If Jaguar had done something just to show they stand by their product, I probably would have bought a Land Rover in a few years to replace an old SUV.
^This. It seems that Standard Operating Procedure for the European luxury brands is to sell to the lease/swap when warranty is up crowd and to Hell with the rest of us. Jaguar have their water pump issue, Mercedes had the 7-speed transmission failures in the 2000s and BMW had multiple high pressure fuel pumps die. If you were out of warranty, you were SOL in all cases when the issues were clearly bad engineering or substandard parts.

For comparison, when Nissan realized they had an issue with the in-radiator transmission coolers on the 2005- Xterra and Pathfinder, they covered the radiators for up to 8 years or 72k miles, IIRC. THAT'S standing by you product. I'm looking at you, Jaguar, BMW, and Mercedes, you should try it some time. My dealer didn't even bother to contact Jaguar corporate for my water pump failure, and has just offered his best wishes on recovering my out of pocket costs incurred thus far. Reckon he knows what my chances are.

How Jaguar managed to screw up a $200, mature technology part like a water pump is beyond me, but as we all know, they did.

Last edited by agentorange; 01-11-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Ditto with Cadillac. A friend has an XTS and an XRS both out of warranty. Cadillac (Rockville) bends over backwards for them. $2000 repair becomes $100. $1500 repair is free, all out of warranty stuff. UNBelievable !

Old 01-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Yes I also had Ford step up to the plate for my 2003 Lincoln LS. As is well known in the S Type world there were a LOT of COP problems and many coil failures with the early 3.9L (Lincoln LS)/4.0L (Jaguar S Type) V-8's.

Fords extended the coil warranty on my 2003 LS to 10 years/100K miles. Ford actually paid twice for my car! First time around 65K miles I got 4 coils and 5 spark plugs replaced for free. At 89K miles I not only got all 8 coils replaced for free but also 8 spark plugs AND both cam cover gaskets replaced. This would have easily been $1200 or more and I paid $0! Not sure I was suppose to be covered for 2 repairs but it sure was nice to see them stand behind a known problem!

So it sometimes happens.