XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New Bulletin Panoramic Roof Creak

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No really noticeable popping in mine. The dealer thought there was a slight sound coming from the A pillar, but I think it may just be the passenger seat vibrating occasionally when empty. No sound with a passenger in the seat. Overall, am THRILLED with my car!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its getting worse the creaking it sounds like metal thumping right under the glass in the pillar on passenger side, I think this rainy humid weather in ny has something to do.
Brutal Help please.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Picked up my car from the dealer this morning. Here's what he did:
K117 - Panoramic Roof
Part# JAG C2D 23230 KIT-SERVICE
" JAG C2D 23471 KIT-ROLLER BLIND
It's quiet now....... The knocking it made this time wasn't anywhere near as bad as the last time but this seems to have worked for now. This was coming from the rear moon roof area.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got service update for roof rattle. Didn't stop rattle but now it squeaks. The rattle noise is about 1/2 to 1/3 as loud so I guess that's better.
Maybe next fix will do job. No software update for my 2011 XJL they say.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a 2012 xjl purchased on dec 26 2011. Roof rattled creaked and popped immediately upon delivery. Had the fix done one month later. Now I'm taking it in on Monday. The roof creaks moves once I come down and out the driveway. Then quiet as long as on smooth straight pavement. Then any wavy or uneven pavement at speeds 10 -30 mils per hour and I get the popping /rattling. Basically any twisting/ flexing causes the problems. Perplexing. Sometimes it's quiet. Then out of nowhere it's horrible. Also have a popping/cracking/ticking sound in front passenger dash Sounds to be coming from the top of dash. Something is rubbing. Same as roof. Smooth pavement. Quiet. Rough pavement noise starts again.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of purchasing an XJ-L. It's a 2011 and I noticed the popping coming in and out of my garage as well as on corners at certain speeds (the dealer gave the vehicle for a weekend to test-drive). The dealer is currently fixing the problem and getting the vehicle ready to sell to me. (Fingers are crossed)

I don't know if this has anything to do with the popping/creaking but when I retured the vehicle, I stood at the back of the car and looked at the roof line. I notice that one of the small rectangular panels above the back window was out of place. When I touched it, it came right out! I wonder if this panel peice has anything to do with the popping/creaking when the car is on unlevel ground.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not buy this car until the dealer fixes it and then take it for another drive and if it continues to creak pop and rattle. Walk away. It's not worth it. I had my 2012 xjl in 2 different times for the roof rattles and creaks. The last one worked. I have no other problems what so ever with this car. None of the electrical or software problems that the 2011 have had. Plus my 2012 has the new updated faster touch screen. I personally wouldn't buy the 2011 unless it's a steal. But there is a reason it's probably discounted so much.

The following users liked this post:
onairnews (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Venture
I would not buy this car until the dealer fixes it and then take it for another drive and if it continues to creak pop and rattle. Walk away. It's not worth it. I had my 2012 xjl in 2 different times for the roof rattles and creaks. The last one worked. I have no other problems what so ever with this car. None of the electrical or software problems that the 2011 have had. Plus my 2012 has the new updated faster touch screen. I personally wouldn't buy the 2011 unless it's a steal. But there is a reason it's probably discounted so much.
Thanks for your comments Venture. The car was driven by the sales manager for the last year. Looking at other 2011 Jags, it's in the price range for that year. The dealer told me that the 2011 touch screen/software is much slower than the 2012 but coming from a BMW where I had to use that annoying mouse-thingy, the slowness of the touch-screen doesn't bother me. I will definitely be taking the car for a test-drive after the roof fix and yes, if it continues, my search for a vehicle will continue. I was originally looking at Mercedes and happen to come across the jag. Love the styling of the car (jag) and everything that goes with it but I didn't know very much about jag before this car so I've been doing a lot of research.
I have to say, it does concern me that Jags have never been crash-tested.
I also remember hearing stories how these cars are maintenance hounds but I don't seem to hear that as much with the new vehicles. Wondering if anyone on this board can give me their opinions on that.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I just recently got my roof fixed again. So good so far. Also they finally fixed my driver side back window because it wouldnt stop at the air brake position. They ended up having to change out the whole driver's window controller. I haven't experienced any electrical problems as of yet. But I did have the engine issue that required a new engine.