XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

New to Jag - had a few gremlins today

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New to Jag - had a few gremlins today

Hi all,

Was looking to get out of my 08 CLS and nothing spoke to me but the XJ. Went in with the fiance, and found (possibly unfortunately) a very early VIN XJ L Supercharged at a good deal at Park Place in Plano. As usual with Park Place, great sales experience.

Two days in, driver's brake light quit on me, I got an incorrect reading for outside temp (-40) and an engine light . Service was backed up for the holidays of course, but they diagnosed me right away and it was a misfire on startup (seems kinda common here), a failed/shorted temp sensor (which no tech even knew where was because they haven't had one yet...love first year cars) and who knows on the brake light. Hoping they knock it all out in a few days, because the car is amazing....

So much so, that the fiance felt slighted, so we dumped her 08 GL 550 same day and got a two-fer. She picked up a demo 2011 XJ L.

Gotta leave her home from now on!

Wanted to say hi, and given some of the posts here (usual forum concentration of "disasters"), was curious if anyone had the temp sensor issue or brake light yet? Dealer said brake light was fairly common on early XFs.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Welcome and congrats on your new purchases. I haven't had any of the issues you described (yet) but I do see quite a few XFs on the road with tail lights that have a few LEDs out. The finance guy who works at the dealership I frequent lives by me and drives an XF-R and I even see burnt out LEDs on his car. I assume that most people don't notice unless someone points it out to them.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on your purchases!!! I haven't seen anything like that on our 2011 XJ; hopefully they will get you straightened out and you can just enjoy the ride!!! Good luck!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I have not had problems with any of the issues that you listed and mine is a low VIN car as well (the first one delivered by my dealer in June, 2010).

Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM
ozy
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which color did you get from them? I was looking at both the black and the lunar grey...put in an offer on the black, and while we were still negotiating over that, they came back and said someone else had just bought it! I'm wondering if that was you. :-)

I ended up getting an ultimate black/jet XJL supercharged another dealer had in stock and am just waiting for it to arrive on a truck (hopefully before Christmas!).

Old 12-21-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ozy
Which color did you get from them? I was looking at both the black and the lunar grey...put in an offer on the black, and while we were still negotiating over that, they came back and said someone else had just bought it! I'm wondering if that was you. :-)

I ended up getting an ultimate black/jet XJL supercharged another dealer had in stock and am just waiting for it to arrive on a truck (hopefully before Christmas!).
I got the lunar grey XLJ supercharged they had, but I also bought my fiance the demo ultimate black XJL off the showroom floor (black with ivory).

There was another one sold Saturday too though! But you got one and that's all that counts!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Your bike stable looks a little like mine. You're definitely into the his/hers thing! I haven't run into a female rider on a 2nd gen Connie yet.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Your bike stable looks a little like mine. You're definitely into the his/hers thing! I haven't run into a female rider on a 2nd gen Connie yet.
Yes sir, it does! She's also 5'3" 120 lbs. Looks like a peanut riding an elephant. She's very smooth on it though...great bikes! I'm about to pick up a new ZX-14 in the spring too. I went to buy the Connie and it happened to be lowered so she could touch the ground, and away she goes with "my" bike at noon on a Saturday. Called my usual dealer and got one by 5pm...7pm we're packed and on the way to Fredericksburg . She had been riding for 4 months total. Like I said...I have to leave her home or I always buy two of whatever I'm looking at!

Gremlin update:

Brake light was replaced. Ambient temp gauge was fine, there was a TSB software procedure for it from Jag, so it isn't a "New" issue at least. All is well again.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icarus77
Yes sir, it does! She's also 5'3" 120 lbs. Looks like a peanut riding an elephant. She's very smooth on it though...great bikes! I'm about to pick up a new ZX-14 in the spring too. I went to buy the Connie and it happened to be lowered so she could touch the ground, and away she goes with "my" bike at noon on a Saturday. Called my usual dealer and got one by 5pm...7pm we're packed and on the way to Fredericksburg . She had been riding for 4 months total. Like I said...I have to leave her home or I always buy two of whatever I'm looking at!

Gremlin update:

Brake light was replaced. Ambient temp gauge was fine, there was a TSB software procedure for it from Jag, so it isn't a "New" issue at least. All is well again.
what about your engine misfire issue? We had that on day 2 of brand new car, and it's been in the shop for 5 weeks now, awaiting a part from England. They are now attempting to replace engine cyliner head.
How was yours handled?

Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by superflysocal
what about your engine misfire issue? We had that on day 2 of brand new car, and it's been in the shop for 5 weeks now, awaiting a part from England. They are now attempting to replace engine cyliner head.
How was yours handled?
Mine was showing only once on startup and runs fine, so they asked the typical fuel question. We have 15% ethanol here and it wreaks havoc on my motorcycles. Seems to only take a couple weeks before the ethanol starts to separate from the gas, so I will run Startron fuel treatment if I think the fuel is old. I've run a tank through it now so the stuff sitting at the dealer is out.

If thats not the issue and it comes back up, I'll let you know what happens. I presume they will start with replacing injectors and I hope it's not a head. Good luck with yours, seems a long time to wait for a head they should have sitting around.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats man! I actually looked at lunar grey XJL Supercharged they had! Its really nice. I hope everything works out for you. Good thing to know that P.P. Plano has a good sales staff and service dept.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jagger11
Congrats man! I actually looked at lunar grey XJL Supercharged they had! Its really nice. I hope everything works out for you. Good thing to know that P.P. Plano has a good sales staff and service dept.
Thanks! Loving it! PP has been great so far (really good to me at the Dallas Benz location for the past 3 years too). They owe me a little touch up painting on both cars, so hope that goes well. They also have my GL550 listed now for $41,900 if anybody is looking for a good one! . I can tell you what they should take for it.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default gremlins,bugs,virus

The NAV-SAT goes out after driving thru a car wash. Then I would have to restart to reset. If I turn everything off it won't happen.

There is a popping sound (knocking) sunroof. Dealer said 'thats in recall'
change a part and all will be well.

Everything is standard in the supersport, I lost track, when going over the
invoice, of options. What I miss and don't know if jag offers it ------------------------> remote start.

~LATER~
BILL------------------------------------------>