XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Playing DVD's in XJL?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Its not disabled. I can play region free dvd's. I have to take it in because my region code is wrong. You should be able to play dvd's on the front screen.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know if there is a way to get DVD video in motion enabled in the US yet?

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's an update on MY new (maybe I shouldn't say mine since I don't seem to be able to keep it long!). My XJL is back at North Houston Jaguar for the 3rd time now. We purchased it brand new Feb 12 and they have now had it for a combined 33 days. Needless to say I am pretty ticked off. There was/is a static sound in the upper left dash with no power turned on, usually lasts for few seconds, then they replaced the Amplifier and now not only does it do it before power is on, it does it while driving at times and the radio will cut out when it happens. And the DVD/CD player will give a "Mechanism Error" after being on for awhile. This last time they have had the car for 1 week today and still isn't resolved.
If anybody out there has had the same problem and have gotten it fixed, please let me know what it was, because the service department certainly has no clue.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM

I dont mean to thread-jack, and will be happy to start a new post if the OP does mind.

Does anyone know if there is a hack out there, or any other way to get the car to think its not in motion and allow the DVD's to play while the car is in motion?

No need to lecture about watching and driving, its for the passenger on a longer road trip.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by starbai
I dont mean to thread-jack, and will be happy to start a new post if the OP does mind.

Does anyone know if there is a hack out there, or any other way to get the car to think its not in motion and allow the DVD's to play while the car is in motion?

No need to lecture about watching and driving, its for the passenger on a longer road trip.
I've been watching the following item on eBay for awhile, waiting for someone here to become the "test pilot" and report back. You game?

INTERFACE TV FREE JAGUAR XJ VIDEO IN MOTION VIM | eBay

Old 07-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If my dealer can and will install it, I'll give it a go. Let me check with them.

There is also a gizmo online I found that adds additional inputs that are watchable. I was thinking of it for a possible Flir aftermarket thermal camera.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by MDabney
I've been watching the following item on eBay for awhile, waiting for someone here to become the "test pilot" and report back. You game?

INTERFACE TV FREE JAGUAR XJ VIDEO IN MOTION VIM | eBay
I contacted the seller and he sent me installation instructions for it. I'm not sure if it shines any light on it for any of you guys but here are the relevant pages, let me know what you all think...

If it was my car I'd probably be game to try it but i'm researching this for my parents (its their car and this functionality is for my mother to not get bored on longer trips lol)

What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by Dochands
If my dealer can and will install it, I'll give it a go. Let me check with them.

There is also a gizmo online I found that adds additional inputs that are watchable. I was thinking of it for a possible Flir aftermarket thermal camera.
That gizmo you're refering to is something I had in my 2009 Accord Coupe... it worked flawlessly. It allowed for 2 more inputs activated with a switch. I had an aftermarket DVD player installed and it worked great. A little different in this situation though, as we're trying to utilize the functionality of the stock system which can play DVD's just fine. All we gotta do is find a way to trick the system into thinking car is not in motion, while not interfering with the factory navigation.

This car didn't have the capability to play DVD's on the factory player though so aftermarket player was the only option.

navandtv2go.com adapter w/SSL DVD player (and USB input), Peripheral Electronics PXAMG w/HD Tuner
Name:  100_0013.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  58.7 KB
Name:  100_0010.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  32.0 KB
Name:  100_0011.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  46.6 KB
Name:  100_0012.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  53.4 KB