XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Playing DVD's in XJL?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Playing DVD's in XJL?

I have a standard 2011 XJL. The instruction book says it can play DVD's. I've tried every format without success. I get prompted to load a 3rd party software for creating the acceptable format. Is there any trick to playing DVD's? Do I have to reformat every video with 3rd party software before being able to view them?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine worked fine. I just popped it in and went to video menu. Easy peasy.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Same here. Mine worked fine. Just popped the DVD in. Make sure its an original DVD and not one you burned yourself. Not sure if the system can read those.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did burn a music CD and that played and saved to HD fine. Not sure if that means a burned movie would work, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default dvd player

Have you had the enhancement done? because if so there is an issue where the dvd player will not work right after the software enhancement is done. There is a fix for where the infotainment system special apps has to be set back to region 1. Are the dvd's you are trying to play actual dvd movies, or burnt dvd's?

Originally Posted by SABJag
I have a standard 2011 XJL. The instruction book says it can play DVD's. I've tried every format without success. I get prompted to load a 3rd party software for creating the acceptable format. Is there any trick to playing DVD's? Do I have to reformat every video with 3rd party software before being able to view them?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:07 PM

I had the software upgraded soon after taking delivery. I'll be sure to ask my service department about the issue you mention. I've tried several movie DVD brands and I even tried BlueRay. I didn't try any burnt dvd's. I'll let you know what happens!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 PM

The infotainment fix is for after the enhancement is done, it wasn't part of the enhancement. Whats your VIN range
Originally Posted by SABJag
I had the software upgraded soon after taking delivery. I'll be sure to ask my service department about the issue you mention. I've tried several movie DVD brands and I even tried BlueRay. I didn't try any burnt dvd's. I'll let you know what happens!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 AM

I understand the enhancement was done, but the infotainment fix just came out like a week ago or so..... the dvd player was never checked when the enhancement was done, so I would ask the srv department to reset the infotainment system.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

What does the infotainment fix do?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:27 AM

It mainly resorts the system back to region 1, it does a few other things as well. But the main things is going back to region 1.

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
What does the infotainment fix do?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jag not playing DVD's

SABjag did you find an answer yet?? We just purchased a XJL and have the same problem, it won't play DVD's, and have tried several different ones also. I also can't upload any CD's. I plan on going back to the dealership tomorrow for this issue.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 PM

Infotainment special apps needs to be reset on your car too as well.

Originally Posted by kherion
SABjag did you find an answer yet?? We just purchased a XJL and have the same problem, it won't play DVD's, and have tried several different ones also. I also can't upload any CD's. I plan on going back to the dealership tomorrow for this issue.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine works fine. VIN 3 of mine is around 10,000. So, woder if you ahve later or earlier VIN. Meaning, did they fix one thing and disabled another?

Old 02-15-2011, 10:11 AM

kherion,

I haven't been able to get back to the dealership yet for the fix. My schedule and the dealershipship hours don't always conveniently match! It's at the top of my "things-to-do" list!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 PM

I was finally was able to schedule an appointment with the Jaguar service department. My wife finally got a day off to take the XJL in for service! As I talked to the service manager, he surfed the internet (or his bulletins) until he found the subject about resetting the infotainment system to get DVD's to play. Apparently he didn't know about the issue. He did admit he had to do some reasearch on it. Afterwards he felt comfortable enough to tell me it would take less than an hour to fix. I'll know by this weekend if it worked!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Update... the dealer got the DVD player working! It was new to him and his techicians. The 1 hour task (as quoted during scheduling) took almost 3 hours. I don't know all the details of how they did it, but they had to download the fix more than once. Apparently there is a time limit on the download like when pairing a phone. First, they were able to get just the audio to play, then they finally got both video and audio to play. So, a fix does exist!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Default DVD player

It took them 4 days to get mine working, supposedly they were having trouble getting the update downloaded. They finally took my car to another dealership and got it done within an hour. Somewhere along the way I managed to get a loose speaker wire so now I get static in my front left speaker so I need to take it back in, just not looking forward to it since I had only had it for 2 days and then they had it for 4 days but hopefully they will get it done quicker this time.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 PM

"Have you had the enhancement done? because if so there is an issue where the dvd player will not work right after the software enhancement is done. There is a fix for where the infotainment system special apps has to be set back to region 1."

I took delivery of my XJL in January and because of winter really only drove it once or twice since then. So I really didn't have time to sort out the DVD player till today. Would the enhancement been done by the dealer during delivery prep? Does the fix require dealer intervention or is there a way to do it in the menu structure?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:37 PM

Everyone can disregard my last post. I didn't read down far enough to see that everyone has had to go back to the dealer to get this issue resolved.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 PM

Are we all talking about the front touch screen being able to play DVD, or is this discussion about rear seat screens. I tried the front screen but get a "No Playable Audio" message. I assumed that this capability is disable for the US market.

Sure would be nice to have the manual in a video format to play !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Playing DVD's in XJL?