XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping in roof area on new 2011 XJ Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping in roof area on new 2011 XJ Supercharged

Hello all, I'm new to this forum.

Have any of you new XJ owners noticed a popping noise in the roof/sunroof area of your cars when the car is twisted/torqued (such as driving up a drive way or ripple in pavement?

I got my car back in June and have had it in several times to diagnose this. Any ideas?

Also, other issues I'm noticing:

>My clock will not stay on standard time. I've set it consistently to 12 hr. and it always reverts to military time.
>I cannot get the valet pin to stay loaded.
>I'm starting to hear a little noise rattle from the brakes/brake pedal on very rough surfaces

Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Seems to be a lot of us with this roof popping problem. Haven't experienced any of your other problems.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I have the "popping" roof. It is extremely annoying and even embarrassing when others are riding in your $90,000 car. I have had numerous other failures as well. I won't repeat them here, but check out my other posts.The popping sound alone, is enough to return this car. Extremely annoying.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i have the "popping noise" as well coming from the roof and time keeps reverting back to military time when i set it to standard...becoming very annoying!!

Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im pissed my dealer wont give me a jag loaner, only a rental. Im gonna call Jaguar NA to complain about my dealer.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive seen the jag guys replace what i belive is a sunroof motor for poppin

Old 09-04-2010, 03:56 PM

My electric shade doesn't work, I hit the button and just hear the motor noise , my shade is stuck open, so I hope it's just the motor popped out and is causing the rattling.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:20 AM

we should call jaguar direct and complain 800-4-jaguar

Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 PM

any news

Old 09-08-2010, 10:35 PM

As for my situation, I have not contacted my dealer since they did the original "fix". I guess I figured I would ride it out until an official fix is out. Mine doesn't really bother me that bad and I don't drive my car very often (maybe once or twice a week). I'm pretty pleased with my dealer so I'm going the route of working with them to get this corrected.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:47 PM
pwl

Got it back today. After removing the headliner and generally dirtying up the interior of the vehicle, tightening some bolts here and there...the problem is now WORSE. First the service tech said it was fixed, but the sunroof (or panorama roof) would pop/knock when I open it. I was like, what? - the sun roof never made any noises. They then got the tech who fixed it, and he said something else - that it won't pop under "normal driving conditions" now, but will still pop turning onto driveways, aprons, etc. He said Jag was looking into this and they would have to wait to hear back on how to fix it once and for all. No indication on when that might happen. But in driving it off, it started to pop/knock more than before. I'm sorry, but making a Right turn is a "normal driving condition". For that matter, pulling in and out of a driveway is as well. They left it on empty, so I went to get gas (more popping when I turned into the gas station), and then I noticed the back part of the driver’s seat in the foot well area had been pulled off and not reinstalled. I took it back so that they could fix that.They also told me at one point it was ‘shifting glass’ causing then noise. When I said ‘shifting glass’ doesn’t sound good, sounds like something that could shatter, and they said don’t worry it’s “safety glass”. I’m not sure how to take that….am I suppose to feel better now knowing that if/when it does shatter, my kids won’t be injured by falling glass?This issue alone, especially considering the dealer is not sure what the problem is, and the Jag NA person (I just spoke to) appears to not have heard of it, is more than enough reason take action to compel them to take back the car or replace it with a new one in proper working order. I’m told it will now kick up to the technical team at corporate. At this point, who cares….I’ve been living with a new $90,000 car for 90+ days that has not worked properly since the day it was delivered – with a constant popping noise, and electrical system/software failures, etc.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm beginning to think that there is a serious flaw in the entire roof "cassette" system that cannot handle the flexing of the body without making this popping noise. It always happens when I sharply turn into or out of an inclined drive or approach that "twists" the body--it is absurd to think that this is not a "normal" driving condition and should be acceptable (at least my dealer is not trying to make any excuses and is diligently discussing this with Jaguar, although no solution yet).

Can we make this the official "roof popping" thread and everyone confine their comments about it here? I, for one, will be updating my experience regularly.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:37 PM

I have not heard back from my dealer yet. I called yesterday to ask on a status for fixing this. HouTexJag, you described the noise exactly how I did to my dealer when they worked on the roof originally. The noise for me is 100% occurring when I turn either right or left of an incline, as if the body of the car is twisting/flexing. The thing that scares me is this seems to happen in different parts of the roof. At first, mine was more near the passengers side at the rear of the car, now it seems to be above my head on the drivers side. If it's a design flaw in the roof, I am really wondering how Jag will fix this. Starting to worry a bit.

I also would agree we make this the initial flexing/popping thread. I do think the best way for us to keep on top of fixes is to have one area for all to post. Plus, Jag might be able to read this and get some needed feedback.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i contacted our dealer the other day to inform them of the popping noise and am going to wait to take it in pending any fix for the problem...they told me to call back when ready to make appointment. it appeared to me that they knew nothing about the problem.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM
pwl

Drove it home from work tonight, and after they tried to fix the pop. As Hunter says, the pop has now "moved" to other areas. I'm not a mechanical engineer, but common sense tells you a roof should not make knocking/popping. And no one who bought/leased one of these should have to accept this condition. It is not normal. I will now have to take it in a third time. If not fixed after that, the lemon law statues kick in (If a warranty item cannot be fixed after 3 attempts). Then perhaps they can give me a new one that doesn't have the popping (and other issues). I was one of the first to take delivery, so maybe the first ones were a "bad batch". I cannot imagine they would not have detected this popping before releasing them for prime time. They spent a lot of time testing these I'm told in real world conditions.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 AM

what is the lemon law rights in new york state?

Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 AM

Today fri 9/10 i spoke to Glenn the service manager at Ray Catena. He told me they are installing shims and spacers in the glass because the glass is shifting, he told me the noise is gone, but they are waiting for my second motor to install on the electric sunshades, they are both broken.
They may or may not have it fixed by monday 9/13.
I am not sure if he glass is safe. I too have a child under 4yrs old & worried about safety issues

Old 09-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it is a good idea to try to compel Jag to take this roof issue seriously before any safety issues become apparent in a way that we all would regret. Also, the esthetic of having noises in any vehicle roof is quite poor. We are told that Jag is looking into the matter but even these reports are anecdotal and for the most part speculative. I say shame on Jag for not simply posting a note to XJ/XJL owners informing of their official standing on the roof issue. It seems to me this would be the best P.R. for them. So far I haven't had more popping from the roof of my XJL super since service at Jaguar of Tampa a few weeks ago. This isn't exactly an endorsement however. That is because I believe a more standard fix is in order to prevent some of the worse issues that we are hearing from some after their dealers have tried their own recipes. i.e. some may over tighten the securing bolts in the roof and make the situation worse or perhaps dangerous. This problem needs to go back to the mechanical engineers and should not rely on service mechanics to do trial and error fixes ! I still believe that my "fix" is temporary. I have also had no more electrical issues since that visit (except still awaiting a lighted door sill). The overall driving experience this past few weeks .... yes !

Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 PM

Per my dealer today, Jag has told the dealers they will be making a formal announcement to new XJ owners regarding the issues on the car...Supposedly the dealers are going to schedule appointments with the owners to bring the cars in a fix everything at once. Dealer compared this process to something similar to a "make-ready" appointment. Again, just what I was told. Included in this service would be roof popping, clips on the sunroof and software updates...

For what it's worth, the mechanic/tech that rode with me the first time said that they are all fully aware of the issue. He said the local Jag reps car was in for service and is also popping.

I had an enjoyable 200 miles in my car today and noticed very little popping. Here's something strange however. When we original diagnosed the location of the popping, it was in the right rear. So, the techs focused on that area. However, now the popping comes from the left sort of above my head. So, that leads me to believe this fix cannot be isolated to tightening a few bolts here or there. Seems like tightening in one area shifts the noise to another area.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:54 PM

I want it to be fixed no noise,and more important want Jaguar to crash test it to make sure it is safe God forbid in a accident.

Quick Reply: Popping in roof area on new 2011 XJ Supercharged