XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping in roof area on new 2011 XJ Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Jaguar needs to get their act together and broadcast out a fix to all of their dealers (if they even have one yet). My dealer is still telling me that mine is the only car that they have delivered with this problem and still no official word from Jaguar on a definite fix. I told them I would not let them touch my car again for this problem without direction from Jaguar on a proven fix. NO MORE EXPERIMENTING!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with you HouTexJag, until I see a very public official communication from Jag I remain skeptical about a lot of the "dealership" comments. There are just too many conflicts of interest involved with this situation in which there is someone who sold us something, someone manufactured something and our experience. Again I'm driving okay for now but have a bit of anxiety for the future.....

Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my car back yesterday, so far no popping noise I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's a perm fix.
Spoke with Jim Taket at Tampa dealer someone put his name up. He told me drive it a few days to see if it comes back, then god forbid he'll speak to the reps at Ray Catena.
told me it is a tightening bolt issue so far he's fixed about 4.
My guys told me they put shimmy's and spacers, I think that sounds like a patch up job for such a premiere car .
My friend is having the same issue, his car's been at the dealer 2wks, his popping is almost gone but his radio don't work. They reset my nav/radio too so far ok.
I pray everything is fixed 100% to everyone.
Otherwise we all got to help each other.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 AM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

$90,000 for shimmys and spacers??

Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 AM
pwl

Originally Posted by hunterjah
Per my dealer today, Jag has told the dealers they will be making a formal announcement to new XJ owners regarding the issues on the car...Supposedly the dealers are going to schedule appointments with the owners to bring the cars in a fix everything at once. Dealer compared this process to something similar to a "make-ready" appointment. Again, just what I was told. Included in this service would be roof popping, clips on the sunroof and software updates...

For what it's worth, the mechanic/tech that rode with me the first time said that they are all fully aware of the issue. He said the local Jag reps car was in for service and is also popping.

I had an enjoyable 200 miles in my car today and noticed very little popping. Here's something strange however. When we original diagnosed the location of the popping, it was in the right rear. So, the techs focused on that area. However, now the popping comes from the left sort of above my head. So, that leads me to believe this fix cannot be isolated to tightening a few bolts here or there. Seems like tightening in one area shifts the noise to another area.
WHAT! I spoke to Jag NA today, and they even told me there is no tech bulletin on this (though the dealer told me they had one), and JAG NA certainly mentioned nothing about any formal announcments. I was told they have heard of some issues with it and will be looking into it. If anything, I think they are trying to by "hush hush" about this...get it fixed as quietly as possible, as they cannot afford a major quality problem with the car that is suppose to turn around Jag. I would bet all XJs are doing this, but some people are oblivious even to loud noises while driving, or jam there stereos very loud. If Jag were to come to me and simply say something like.... "yes, this is a problem...we will do all we can to get tihs fixed...if we cannot fix it to your satsifaction, we will buy back the car. If we do fix it, we will compensate you for the inconvenience of having to continually bring it in, we undersand this is a quality issue to the extent we would not expect our customer to accept it, and you can rest assured we will rectify this one way or the other." Now, that is how you treat a customer, who buy's a $90,000 product. And that customer will keep coming back, and even be more forgiving. All I get is cryptic answers and responses.

Last edited by pwl; 09-16-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM

!st the dealer old me they may have to keep the car 5 days, take the roof apart jaguar wants us to report back, then I read here it was roof bolts,
than my dealer calls me up says they don't have to take roof off they have a fix
but need the car a few days.
They kept it 7, so far the popping is gone , but I hope it's not a temporary fix.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 PM

So far, no word back from my dealer on how to fix the problem--it has been a week now since I took the car back in and went for a test drive with their tech and made sure he heard the prevalent popping noise. This is getting very frustrating because I am now being put in ignore mode--for some reason, this issue is being downplayed by Jaguar (and the dealers).

Old 09-16-2010, 03:49 PM

I just got off the phone with the Service Director at my dealer. He confirmed that there has been one service bulletin put out by Jaguar so far concerning the roof popping issue--they did that work to my car when they had it recently, but it did not fix the problem (removed the headliner and centered the studs that hold the sunroof "cassette" and tightened the nuts). He spoke to Jaguar again today in reference to my car and was told that they are continuing to work on this known problem and will put out another service bulletin as soon as they figure it out, but do not know at this time when this will be. My dealer does not want to do anything more to the car unless told by Jaguar so that the warranty is not affected--I certainly agree with this position, although, it is very frustrating that Jaguar is taking so long to figure this out.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:58 PM
pwl

Interesting....did any of you know the Corvette was recalled late last year for roof issues. Look at nhsta.gov recall RCDNN 09V4941000 (2005-2007). I'm not saying it's the same, but look at some of what is says on the website:

"concerns the way the roofs panels attach to the frame. Under certain circumstances that adhesive can come apart and the roof can fall off the vehicle at speed.....The adhesive between the roof panel and the frame may separate. If there is a partial separation, the driver may notice one or more symptoms, such as a snapping noise when driving over bumps... in a worst-case scenario, the roof may detach from the car altogether and could hit another vehicle or cause property damage."

Now, the corvette has a removable roof, but basically the XJ is all glass, panorama roof that basically lifts out and back. Anyhow, the symptom with the Corvett is what caught my eye, as it's the same with the XJ.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:57 AM

I'm beginning to think it's the alacantra roof. The roof seems it's made out of a hard plastic or fiberglass, and when the heat from the sun beats on it causes it to pop & creek.
When I touch or push the roof in different area's it makes the noise.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM

The dealer now just got in the second sunshade motor to be reinstalled, So this is twice I have to bring it in for the electric sunshade.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by jcamp
I'm beginning to think it's the alacantra roof. The roof seems it's made out of a hard plastic or fiberglass, and when the heat from the sun beats on it causes it to pop & creek.
You may be on to something there. I have noticed that the noise occurs more often when the weather is warmer and opening the sunshade also seems to increase the frequency of the popping.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM
pwl

Would that explain the noise when driving over bumps/turning simulatneously? Not sure. They did tell me once it was "shifting" glass. And is in 3rd time now for it. Been in shop 15 days now for this and other problems. Could be the strategy on the roof is keep it in the shop so long that cold weather will set in and fix it, for now. But alacantra roof or not, this noise should not be happening. It is a design flaw, and a serious one as they seem to be having many problems trying to fix it. 15 days out of 100 in shop.....one nice looking POS at this rate.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:23 AM

they wrote on my ticket,
popping/crack noise from rear when vehicle shifts,turns,or go overs small bump
performed all steps of ssm 45412 made road test and adjustments to sliding glass panel until noise was gone.
sliding glass doesn't sound safe

Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 PM

I guess not that many cars are having this problem.
i expected a lot more posts.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 PM

they wrote on my ticket,
popping/crack noise from rear when vehicle shifts,turns,or go overs small bump
performed all steps of ssm 45412 made road test and adjustments to sliding glass panel until noise was gone.
sliding glass doesn't sound safe
Is it fixed?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 PM

No. Called Jaguar NA again.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 PM
pwl

Got mine back just recently so haven't tested it extensively yet. They basically told me they put bolts, spacers, blocks, cushions, and anything else one might find at the local hardware store to "rig" it (I bet they even used WD-40). Nice job jaguar on all the fancy "riveting" construction you extolled so much. I now have a $90,000 car with a roof courtesy your local "jim bob". I had a 65 falcon once that had problems with the throttle valve in the carburetor, and I fixed it by wedging a nickel down in there to hold it open all the time - it worked great, though I was at full throttle all the time. In any event, their "fix" to the roof brought back fond memories of my youth. Maybe I should have kept that car. Not nearly as nice, but the roof never made any knocking/popping.

Salt in the wound - they stracthed the underside of the roof glass.

Anyhow, even if it is fixed, the experience in dealing with this was horrific. Jaguar NA and the selling dealer taking a "sit and not respond" attitude to most of my inquiries.

My first and last Jaguar. I can't return to a car, no matter how good, at this price where they treat clients this way. It's not the problems a manufacturer might experience, it's how they respond to them. And Jaguar's response (and silence) was unacceptable. Ta ta Tata! Enjoy your temporary sales blip until the first time buyers go back to Benz and BMW.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 AM

after a week the noise came back on mine. let me know if yours does.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:45 PM

Im taking it in Mon 9/27 a third time to fix 2nd sunshade and the recurring Popping Noise.
It sounds like hail hitting the roof.
The popping seems to go away when I partially open the sunroof, that means it's definitely the glass shaking.

Quick Reply: Popping in roof area on new 2011 XJ Supercharged