XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping in roof area on new 2011 XJ Supercharged

Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamp
Im taking it in Mon 9/27 a third time to fix 2nd sunshade and the recurring Popping Noise.
It sounds like hail hitting the roof.
The popping seems to go away when I partially open the sunroof, that means it's definitely the glass shaking.
They ripped my shunshade...I'm not sure how. It was perfect when I took it in (for teh 3rd time), and it came back with no roof pop (so far), but with a scratched roof and ripped sunshade.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is every one's 2011 xj8's fixed?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Is every one's 2011 xj8's fixed?
No, I'm still waiting for my dealer to get a fix from Jaguar and I haven't heard from them. Guess it's time to bug them again--the noise is really irritating.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 PM

brought mine today fixing 2nd sunshade & 2nd fix popping noise.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 AM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jaguar XJ buyer trying to get problems fixed.

And your Jaguar service team.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:08 AM

who's fraser mitchell?

Old 10-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I do not own one of these but just had a tangential observation about these types of issues in general. We always read about the extensive testing and thousands of hours/miles put on prototype vehicles prior to actually introducing the model to the public. Given that it is amazing how often serious problems immediately show up by a large percentage of buyers. For example, a couple of years ago I was considering a BMW 335i but my previous experience with BMW (chronic problems and even worse service) gave me pause. This was a lucky decision since, not too long after these were introduced, I read about horrendous problems with overheating due to the turbos and also serious fuel pump problems.

The "popping in roof area" problem discussed here also seems like something that should have been discovered early on with even minimal/routine testing of prototypes.

How do things like this get missed in the vehicle testing stage?

Doug

Old 10-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

These types of "introduction year" problems are not unique to Jaguar and I was always curious that these made it through the supposed testing and debugging process. But xjpassion is probably correct in that it is some bean-counters' calculation that it is cheaper letting the unlucky initial owners take car of these things under warranty than to delay product introduction by trying to address everything. I believe similar thinking was at work with the exploding gas tanks on Ford Pintos back in the 1970s--it was cheaper to face the occasional lawsuit rather than do a massive fix/recall.

Another great reason NOT to buy the first year of a new model.

Doug

Old 10-03-2010, 11:22 AM

This should never happen with a new car especially jaguar with their past.
People will now be discouraged to buy the car because they are having problems.
I know a few people already talking. Word of mouth is fast, bad advertising.
Jag should've waited in the long run they would've probably sold more instead of pissing customers off that will simply not buy another Jag.
Bugsy Siegel didn't rush the Flamingo hotel, why because he wanted it right.
Look at Vegas today.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Except that "typical" car buyers are not lurking around forums like this to seek out the various problems and quirks. The "average" prospective buyer is usually swayed by other things such as the marketing and advertising campaign (which has been quite impressive for both the XF and XJ) and the basic looks and prestige of the cars.

For example, a bit of googling and researching the BMW forums will quickly expose the dreadful problems that the BMW 335i have had but, outside of the internet, I have never heard a peep.

Doug

Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 PM

anyone's popping return?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

another 150 mile drive and no popping roof ( and go gas leaks, engine shutter, mystery window opening , disappearing displays or media player problems ) . I do feel fortunate.....

Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 AM

i'm glad your popping didn't come back,maybe because florida has smooth roads.
in NY we have many potholes,bumps etc. my noise is back but only when the shades are open. sounds like the motor for the sunshades.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default popping

i'm glad your popping didn't come back,maybe because florida has smooth roads.
in NY we have many potholes,bumps etc. my noise is back but only when the shades are open. sounds like the motor for the sunshades.
we have holes alright, even sink holes. I live in rural Florida. I will see if driving with the sun shade open or closed matters. Also I have a Neiman Marcus edition which has a bit more leather in the headliner and trim which may help.... just guessing....

Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Anything new on popping noise in rear roof?

Darn, its back!
No, not anything in the headliner, not any squeaking, a popping (like a seem or rivet point) if car hits bump or ist twisted on curb.
Anybody any idea???
Been at the dealer. First they can't even hear the noise. Then they said they found something. The "sunroof pop fix" is done. I made sure there are no noises from the sunroof liner.

I love the car and don't want to get rid of it. I am a restless (and believe talented) tinkerer. I know the dealer mechanics won't take that time and dedication EXCEPT I raise a major stink. I want the noise gone. ANYBODY? Any Ideas.

P.S. Sorry I posted in other threads, wasn't sure which one is the most approbriate one.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:06 PM

YES, mine did. Grrrrrr........ I love the car but hope they can ficure this pop out. I also start to believe there is a major design flaw in that roof cassette.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
Darn, its back!
No, not anything in the headliner, not any squeaking, a popping (like a seem or rivet point) if car hits bump or ist twisted on curb.
Anybody any idea???
Been at the dealer. First they can't even hear the noise. Then they said they found something. The "sunroof pop fix" is done. I made sure there are no noises from the sunroof liner.

I love the car and don't want to get rid of it. I am a restless (and believe talented) tinkerer. I know the dealer mechanics won't take that time and dedication EXCEPT I raise a major stink. I want the noise gone. ANYBODY? Any Ideas.

P.S. Sorry I posted in other threads, wasn't sure which one is the most approbriate one.
Yes, the way you describe it, that is the dreaded noise. On mine, it was always toward the rear of the roof and happened every time I turned sharply up or down an incline (like a driveway approach) or went over a major bump in the road that caused the roof to flex. Just stay on your dealer. It can be completely fixed--it took my dealer a few attempts, but they finally got it to stop. I believe that they ended up changed out some brackets per a bulletin from Jaguar. This is a very annoying problem and not acceptable in a high-end car like this, so if you have to get tough with your dealer or even go up the ladder at Jaguar it, so be it.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Yes, the way you describe it, that is the dreaded noise. On mine, it was always toward the rear of the roof and happened every time I turned sharply up or down an incline (like a driveway approach) or went over a major bump in the road that caused the roof to flex. Just stay on your dealer. It can be completely fixed--it took my dealer a few attempts, but they finally got it to stop. I believe that they ended up changed out some brackets per a bulletin from Jaguar. This is a very annoying problem and not acceptable in a high-end car like this, so if you have to get tough with your dealer or even go up the ladder at Jaguar it, so be it.
I am glad to hear you say that it can be fixed. Back to the dealer

Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here - on the base XJ, not the long wheel base. No fix offered by dealer. But also had problem with the sunroof assembly and transport motor. They replaced the whole thing, and "hoped" that would also correct the popping noise. It didn't.

The 2011 XJ is an extremely quirky car. Endless software issues. And audio system issues. And touchscreen issues. The list goes on. I no longer own the car. An annoying (albeit gorgeous) auto wasn't what I had in mind - regardless of the price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Popping in roof area on new 2011 XJ Supercharged